SAU Community

Nissan: Base Model Gt-r Does 7:29 At Nurburgring

sewid

Nissan Europe press released this just under an 2 hours ago.

If you're wondering why it's from Portugal, Nissan are holding some big fancy event there. The actual laptime was set mid April...

[May. 01, 2008 - 11:00 AM CET]

GT-R ACHIEVES UNDER 7:30 AT NURBURGRING

- GT-R among the fastest ever production road cars at the ‘Ring’ -

(CASCAIS, Portugal, 1st May 2008) - Nissan today announced that its GT-R supercar achieved a lap time at the infamous Nurburgring in Germany of seven minutes and 29 seconds. Recorded on April 16 and 17, the GT-R used was a base specification car and fitted with the standard Japanese market tires. Driven by GT-R chief test driver Tochio Suzuki, this latest lap time beats the previous fastest time for the GT-R by nine seconds.

The previous best lap time for GT-R of 7:38, also driven by Suzuki, was one of the fastest laps achieved by a production car despite conditions being slightly damp on two corners.

“At last year’s testing, we were frustrated by the conditions at the Nurburgring, always believing that the GT-R could go under seven minutes 30 seconds.” said Kazutoshi Mizuno, Chief Vehicle Engineer for GT-R. “Below seven minutes 30 seconds, the GT-R proves it is among the fastest mass-production cars in the world. We set out to build a multi-performance supercar accessible to anyone, anytime and anywhere - I believe the GT-R has delivered that promise.”

Deliveries of the all-new GT-R began in Japan in December 2007. Sales in the US and Canada start in July and extend to Europe and other markets over the next 12 months.

Contact

For more information, please contact Neil Reeve on +41 79701 8287.

[email protected]

day-umm that's fast :D

a quick calculation shows that it has to average 167km/h over the 20.832km to set that sort of time

much (more) respect...

Actually i am not surprised. Always had a hunch that Nissan held back with the 7.38min lap time. It's all a marketing strategy. They wanted to impress the world, but not too much or else no one would've believed them.

But now since so many tests of the GTR vs 911 turbo, Z06 etc have shown that the GTR canes them around every track tested so far and by up to 5 secs on short tracks such as Buttonwillow (Z06 boys are still calling foul play), Nissan decided that it's time to confess the 'real' potential of the GTR. If you extrapolate the times that the GTR beats cars such as the 911 turbo and Z06 on short tracks for example, to the much longer track Nurburgring, then its obvious that the GTR should of been a lot faster than the 2sec over the 911 turbo or 4sec over the Z06 at the Nurburgring. And that is taking into account the long stretch at the end of the course where the turbo and Z06 would've made up some time over the GTR.

Edited by skyline_man

I dunno, I'll cop a lot of flack over this but 7:29 sounds a little too fast to be realistic. Remember the R33 breaking the 8 minute mark and then no one else being able to match the time? I just can't see the the R35 doing the 'ring that fast.

***PUTS ON FLAME SHIELD***

Holy s*** the 7.38 time pretty much said that Nissan are not messing around, now the sub 7.30 is telling the competition to get better or perish haha

haha the Corvette boys still think its all bs.

There will be a DVD published soon. There is no doubt it will end up on YouTube within minutes but the DVD will likely be part of a special or end up in the next issue of GTR magazine first.

geez, I wonder what the cordia trbo does it in :bunny:

Ask Roger

On a serious note though...

I'd like to see the video of it doing said time. Im 90% convinced it did it however i just want to see the proof too.

Either way big props to Nissan!

Cant wait to see what the V-Spec does now!