SAU Community

Insurance

I'm a p-plater and just bought an R34 GT.

What is the best way to get cheap insurance?

Someone told me to put it in my parents name and I inherit their rating 1 after 6 months, and its cheaper that way...

Anyone got any advice?

There's no much such thing as inheriting their rating 1, you need to start at the bottom and work your way up like everyone else.

Ah ok, someone said if its in their name and I'm the youngest driver i get it after 6 months... :S or sommin like that

Edited by 1337

if the car is registered in your parents name, you can be nominated as a secondary driver, and save on the premium. im pretty sure this wont work towards a no-claim bonus of any description, since its insured in the parents name, not yours.

just car 3rd party + fire + theft for me was $750, easy. 20yo male, r33 turbo.

Cheapest way for me was go insure the skyline (for my agreed value of 22.5k) with Shannons on an occasional use policy for $720 22yo male, no claims or thefts, and drive an LPG shitbox day to day. Insurance costs save me heaps and fuel saves me even more. But the best thing is that my car feel fast (at least for the first 15 mins) each time i drive it!

Plus i dont worry about the skyline getting, hit, vandalised, scraped in a carpark etc.

What?

I believe that Hamish meant, don't lie in your applications for insurance. If you get caught it can really come back to haunt you later.

I have heard people have issues where they have been driving as the nominated driver on someone else's insurance with no personal insurance history of their own. When they tried to get their own policy, they started from scratch. Can anyone confirm this?

There ARE plenty of insurance threads on these boards so have a look around. Being rating 1 and 25+ helps a lot. I can't wait to see if I get a new discount at 30, to go along with the first "life crisis".

Cheers.

What are the options for under 25?

Shannons said they wont insure anything twin turbo. So apparently if I go get a single turbo manifold and chuck a T51 on there its fine, but a couple of R34 N1's is out of the question...

Famous were just plain rude.

Just car will give me 1597 a year on a aggreed value of 23.5. Not too bad all things considered, but id like to at least see if I can get a competitive quote.

• 1 year later...

Pharmacy "Guild" Insurance St Leonards just quoted me $858.50 per yr on the R33 GTR sum insured $25,000 whilst on maximum no claim bonus & over 21 yrs old. woot!

Available for chemist shop staff or relatives of ...

your best bet will be shannons they are a little bit more expensive but you get choice of repairer one free windscreen a year (ask bout it when you sign up) and the excess is usually low.... or im using just car they are kinda fair as far as im concerned...

the only other thing you have to watch out for is dont lower your premium by uping your excess it might sound like a good idea at the time but the one off chance you have an accident you dont wana have to find anywhere up to 5g's before you can get your car back...

Also recommend Shannons if they'll insure you. Their policy is good and in my experience they're often the cheapest too.

When I first got a full comprehensive policy I went through the NRMA. They gave me a maximum no-claim bonus because I'd had 3rd party property insurance through them for a few years on my previous car.

So if you have an existing policy of some kind, see if you can negotiate something with the same insurance company.