SAU Community

Importing Modified Vehicles

Hey,

Thinking of importing a modified R33 GTR but I'm just wondering whether it will be able to be complied easily or not. The cars I'm looking at have been rebuilt using forged pistons etc, have pretty much everything aftermarket to the engine possible as well as some aftermarket body parts...

All aftermarket parts have to be removed yeah? So what sorta costs are involved to get something like that complied? What parts would they allow to slip through and what would they crack down on?

Cheers,

Chris.

Yeah it is not advisable to import fully modified cars (unless for race use only) as the compliance work is usually either too expensive (don't think the compliance shop will remove all those special parts for free :() or just plain too much hassle for compliance.

If you want something you can register, look for something with only basic mods that can be easily returned to stock, as the car must be in factory specification (or the equivilent to it) to get compliance.

If you want it purely as a track car (and I mean purely, as in the chassis can never be complied and therefore NEVER registered) then you've pretty much got free reign over what mods it has, although last I heard you need to own a CAMS L2S licence to import a race only vehicle.

The letter of the law is that the compliance workshop must bring the car to factory standard and DESTROY all aftermarket parts.

Does every workshop do this? Um.....no.

Aftermarket front mount intercoolers usually cut holes in the body of the car, which is considered accident damage, so these technically can't be complied. We knock back these cars all the time, but some backyarder compliance workshops might do them.

If you send us some photos of the car, we can let you know if we'd comply it, but every workshop will be different depending on the amount of risk they want to take. We've got 20 plates on our schedule, so if DOTARS shuts us down for complying a car like that (they audit vehicles sometimes), that'd be a huge loss to us. If some guy's got just 1 or 2 plates on his schedule, his risk is just those 2 models on his RAWS schedule, so he'd probably be more likely to take the risk.

Also, RAWS workshops have a quota of 100 plates per year, per workshop, so since we usually fill our quota, it doesn't make sense to take the risk. Guys with 1 or 2 models on their schedule probably don't fill their quota, so they'd be more desperate to get the work.

Of course, everyone knows this, so people will charge accordingly. We don't charge to remove/reinstall parts, but I've heard some workshops do.

basically send photos and as much info as you can to the compliance workshop and get them to lay out all the charges upfront.

hope this helps,

david @ Carizma

also, don't forget you also have to get a RWC on top of this (if in VIC, other states not really sure how it goes).

Hey,

Thinking of importing a modified R33 GTR but I'm just wondering whether it will be able to be complied easily or not. The cars I'm looking at have been rebuilt using forged pistons etc, have pretty much everything aftermarket to the engine possible as well as some aftermarket body parts...

All aftermarket parts have to be removed yeah? So what sorta costs are involved to get something like that complied? What parts would they allow to slip through and what would they crack down on?

Cheers,

Chris.

Cheers for the info. Basically the car has aftermarket turbos, injectors, computer, air filters, bonnet, front bar, front fenders, sideskirts, rear pods, exhaust, wheels, front and passenger seats, suspension etc. How much for compliance for this? Model is 1997 R33 GTR.. Rough quote will be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's a personal import, then it's open slather, it can be as modded as you like. Getting it registered would be a whole different ball game though.

Edited by Iron Chef

Just looking at that list, I doubt our workshop would take that job. Might find a backyarder who'd do it, someone who isn't filling their quota.

Yeah, as IronChef said, getting it registered is going to be tough. It seems like the state transport departments are cracking down on modified imports a bit also, just from our experience these past couple weeks.

And that's just VicRoads...I'm sure he has plenty of good stories about Regency Park, well probably not 'good' stories.

Cheers for the info. Basically the car has aftermarket turbos, injectors, computer, air filters, bonnet, front bar, front fenders, sideskirts, rear pods, exhaust, wheels, front and passenger seats, suspension etc. How much for compliance for this? Model is 1997 R33 GTR.. Rough quote will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

the only way to do a 'personal import' is to live in the country overseas for at least 12months and own the car there for at least 12 months then bring it back with you to aus. not feasible at all unless you currently live in japan. personal imports I would say count for less than 1% of car imports.