SAU Community

New Engine

I also got my new engine put in to the car. When I first started the engine (for the first hour), it also blew out white smoke, but it is normal!! Also, in your engine bay, you could also realize there is so smoke burning, that is because the gaskets are new and need to be properly sealed.

For you info, if you're car blew out

white w/steam: you engine is good!!! (you could also smell the steam from the exhaust)

black: you're car is too rich!!

blueish: you're head gasket is blown!! (you could smell coolant from the exhaust)

Hope you're engine is healthy and ready to go!! :P

so it was just a freshen up then... lol

what about the head specifically, did they replace things like valve stem seals?

has it had a compression test and leak down test since the rebuild?

thats a piss off, after spending that much coin and still having problems.

Had head problems when first built not workshops fault. Head guy fault not sure where they send it to not sure if they replaced the valve stem seals or not as they never said but insured me it was right this time. Valves where replaced with supertech items but. clearences are apparrently bit larger than usuall so it could be a cause of the smoke.

If you have not done many K's in the car, you could try a last resort bed-in on the rings also. Find a long road, preferably long gradual hill...stick it in 4th at 50km/hr put one foot lightly on the brakes and plant the accelerator. Try to keep the car struggling to get up the hill or to move along. You should only need to do this for a minute or so.

If it's not that, then it could be as suggested many time above - valve stem seals. This is good in a way as they can be done without having to remove the cylinder head.

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...

Interesting....ive got a similar problem...noticed after changing my O2 sensors and had to cut the rear one and re-wire them.....it still does it...while cruising no load...a white puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Car is already warmed up etc...usually only noticable on hotter days.

Could it be the O2 sensor playing up?

sorry to Hi jack