SAU Community

Kill Switch

Ive read a few previous threads about kill/fuel cut switches. Im ok mechanically, but im an electrical retard. So i was wondering what the go is with kill switches.

tell me where im going wrong:

you take the negative wire from your ignition and wire to a switch that only you know where it is. So you only need to hold the switch when starting because that is the ground/earth wire ?

is it a simple job to do? is it worthwhile? Can anyone tell me the exact cables i need to get and where abouts in the looms i need to take it from?

a couple of posts a while back ive found that people recommend putting these in after ghuys have had their cars stolen/broken into, so it seems like a pretty good idea, i just can't find exact info on how to go about doing it.

It depends on the car.. well, on the transmission actually.

For an automatic, you can just use a push-button (momentary) switch which, when open, breaks the circuit for the wire to the starter. To start the car, you then have to hold the hidden switch down while you turn the key to START. Once started, you can let go of the button.

For a manual however, this is no good, as a theif could flick the ignition to ON and then just roll-start the car, bypassing the starter-circuit lock-out. You therefore need to use a toggle-style switch (can be a push-on/push-off button or a literal toggle-switch), breaking the main ignition wire from the barrel. This means that without this switch in the ON position, the ignition will be as if the key is in the ACC position, not the ON position. You need to remember to manually toggle the switch to the OFF position when you leave the car this way...

It's important to remember though, that you really need to splice into the loom (whichever wire you choose), you shouldn't splice into it right near the barrel, or on the steering column at all. The first place a car-theif is gonna look to hot-wire the car is there, and most likely it won't take long to figure out what's been done and reverse it. Preferably put the splicing somewhere that is very difficult to get to, and actually remove a long-enough section of the wire so that even if it's exposed it's not easy to see which wire should be connected to which.

There are sites with circuits you can use....

Best to LEAVE THE IGNITION ALONE!!!!

Reason, what's the first place you look at if your going to hot-wire a car??

Anyway, Without giving away my own secrets, you need to think about kill circuits (I dont use switches) as Alarm immobilisiation points, but without the alarm.

You can also do such things as use relays in your circuit, so that when you press the button, it activates the temp side of the relay to join the circuit and enable something like the fuel pump or coilpack ignitions, but as soon as you turn the car off, the relay shuts off and autp-enables the kill circuit again.

Best to search for "Immobilisation circuit" or similar on Google :)

The thing to remember is the installation is the major key, no good doing the work if your wires are loose, or if the splice is easily seen or joinable again.

Areas to thing about:

-Fuel system

-Spark/electrical

-You can do a secondary system which kills the AFM(s) to throw the car into limp mode (I have a car-jack button to kill the AFMs as I get out of a the car if I get jacked).

With the right electronic circuits, you can do anyting, stuff like flashing lights if the car is started without pressing a key (not many times do brake and headlights flash while driving), or a friend of mine has a blinker box attached to a circuit going to the horn, no press button = constant horn applied while car is running, needless to say the car was 'attempted' stolen at one point, but was left sitting there with the engine running and the horn blasting for 2 hours while the police where called for noise pollution, and he was boarding a train to come home from work to shut his car up LOL

B.

there are several diagrams going around for the 33 gtst... ECU pinout & 33 wiring diagram are 2 i can think of off the top of my head... u can use these circuits and design urself something that will work. if u search around on these forums you will find alot of ppl have done this with quite sum success... i happen 2 have 1 that i built and installed in my car and unless u know what ur doing, ull think the car is F**KED!

be patient tho and do not rush it!