SAU Community

Reason For A R35 Sedan ... Cadilac 4dr = 7:59s Nur

Did a quick search but didn't see any comment elsewhere about the 2009 Cadi, so ....

Just seen a few sites about the Cadilac being the fastest sedan around the Nur, 7:59 seems legit so far... should spark some interest in the brand before it hits OZ again. Not sure about the looks but it certainly would be hard to miss!

maybe this might provide the incentive for a Nissan to make a 'GTR' based sedan!

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/News/Cadillac+...ing+record.html

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/-cad...59-ar57237.html

Maybe Nissan should take it to BMW and Mercedes too... couldn't be a bad thing could it?

post-4838-1211087894_thumb.jpg

Edited by gts4diehard

Don't think it would "fit" with the companies' profile they've built for the GT-R being a homologated race car you can drive on the street.

Maybe a beefed up version of the v36 skyline sedan? or the Cima I think it's called (m35 it's called in the U.S), they'd be similar in size to the cadi.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Autech should make an R35 GTR sedan but then that would be quite hard seeing the R35 is only a coupe and they cant use a sedan version like they did with the 33 i think it was

• 2 weeks later...

correct...

wonder what the handling was like in the sedan models...

33 sedans arent they much longer than the coupe's... like 30cm or something rediculously close.

anyone with a better memory and the factual answer handy?

Don't think it would "fit" with the companies' profile they've built for the GT-R being a homologated race car you can drive on the street.

The R35 is a homologated race car? For which series?

The SuperGT car doesn't share the drivetrain with the roadgoing vehicle, and its that drivetrain that makes the car. Does anyone know what engine the GT500 car runs? I can't find any info on whether its using a VR block, or retained the VQ block from the 350Z/R34 JGTC cars.

Coupe = Overall Length [in. (mm)] 178.9 (4545)

Sedan = Overall Length [in. (mm)] 180.3 (4580)

so 35mm (1.4 inch) difference if you want to get precise.

yeh im getting heaps of different readings, mainly the coupe changing, between 4530 and 4550, owell, doesnt really matter.

The R35 is a homologated race car? For which series?

The SuperGT car doesn't share the drivetrain with the roadgoing vehicle, and its that drivetrain that makes the car. Does anyone know what engine the GT500 car runs? I can't find any info on whether its using a VR block, or retained the VQ block from the 350Z/R34 JGTC cars.

the GTR uses a 4.5ltr V8 developed for the 350z in the 2007 season.

Righto. So neither the powerplant nor the drivetrain from the GT500 GT-R is shared with the R35.

So I'm wondering if Yo-Yo can tell us which series the R35 GT-R is homologated for. I'm actually curious, because I'd love to see how the car goes and what its racing against. The only motorsport I've heard the R35 do is Targa Tas, so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Linky.

Nissan execs have also confirmed that the GT-R is an unprofitable model but the introduction of vehicles based on the same platform will help change that. In addition to the Spec V, the platform is expected to yield a model for Infiniti due for release in less than a year.

More information that a PM platform sedan is probably in the making. I can't see what else they could build on the relatively expensive PM platform that would see a good return aside from a M5/E63/RS6/XF-R/CTS-V decimating Infiniti super sedan.

I just hope no-one slaps a GT-R badge onto it as a result.

Did a quick search but didn't see any comment elsewhere about the 2009 Cadi, so ....

Just seen a few sites about the Cadilac being the fastest sedan around the Nur, 7:59 seems legit so far... should spark some interest in the brand before it hits OZ again. Not sure about the looks but it certainly would be hard to miss!

maybe this might provide the incentive for a Nissan to make a 'GTR' based sedan!

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/News/Cadillac+...ing+record.html

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/-cad...59-ar57237.html

Maybe Nissan should take it to BMW and Mercedes too... couldn't be a bad thing could it?

im fairly certain Nissan wouldn't have much trouble building a 4 door production sedan to beat that time. They can probably do it with their eyes closed, it just that there doesn't seem to be much point in building such a fast 4 dr sedan. For one, you'd have to stiffen up the suspension which would make it less comfortable, thus less appealing to mass market.

it just that there doesn't seem to be much point in building such a fast 4 dr sedan.

I'd say there is.

Nissan's trying to grow Infiniti into a proper Euro competitor, especially now that they're launching the brand in Europe. They've got the V35/V36 to go against the 3 Series and the new FX to compete against the X5.

The Germans practically own the super-sedan class with the M5, RS6 and E63 (and to a lesser extent the M3, RS4, C63 and IS-F, against which the current Skylines can't really compete). Since Infiniti can't have the GT-R, I'd say a super sedan based on the PM platform as a halo model would be a much better fit.

For one, you'd have to stiffen up the suspension which would make it less comfortable, thus less appealing to mass market.

Well, the R35 does a 7:29 with its "quite firm" setting. Even with more weight, a longer wheelbase and slightly less power from the engine, you might still be able to keep the difference to under 30s a lap. The suspension in the PM is adaptive. You could set up the "comfy" setting to be a lot softer than the GT-R's equivalent setting in line with its competitors, and firm up the car when the driver flicks the R switch and actually wants to go fast around corners.

post-50046-1214324403_thumb.jpgpost-50046-1214324424_thumb.jpg

im fairly certain Nissan wouldn't have much trouble building a 4 door production sedan to beat that time. They can probably do it with their eyes closed, it just that there doesn't seem to be much point in building such a fast 4 dr sedan. For one, you'd have to stiffen up the suspension which would make it less comfortable, thus less appealing to mass market.

The Cadillac 'production' vehicle seems to have some type of bracing and different seats? Hmmm....

i think you'll find the wheelbase is exactly the same though. the only skyline model to have a different wheelbase between sedan and coupe was the R34.

For prior cars. But if they're developing a sedan based on the PM platform, it probably won't. For example, both the Z33 and V35 are FM platform cars but the wheelbases are different lengths. "Platform" doesn't necessarily mean the physical chassis. It means engineering hardpoints, like suspension and drivetrain design.

Since the R35 has been panned as being a bit cramped for rear passengers, were they to make a PM-based sedan it would have to be longer than the GT-R to meet the minimum comfort requirements for this class. The GT-R isn't exactly a small car, and so a sedan variant based on the same platform is going to be more M5 sized than M3.

4 door R35?? NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN. The V35/36 and the R35 are totally different cars.

No shit, Sherlock. No-one's talking about adapting the V35/36 chassis to fit the R35's AWD drivetrain. They're talking about using the GT-R's PM platform to build another car. It will sit above the V36 in size.

And yes, other cars built around the platform the GT-R uses will be released. Pray that they're building a sports sedan, because if they're not that only leaves a SUV or some even worse prospect....or lose money, at which point they'll just can the entire GT-R project.