SAU Community

Registration In Act + P Plates + R34 Gtt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha my life is wake up 8AM then school then gym then work and come home at 11:30PM and i work on weekends also so no time to spend money with mates. Except holidays.

Seems like everyone regrets buying their car lol. Im worried now whether i should buy the car cause ill have lots of money but nothing to spend it on and ill become a boring person and then end up spending money too wisely rest of my life by buying crappy 1 litre cars. :D

i dont regret buying my car, i love it, and its a daily driver! i'm not made of money either lol

ive always gone full comprehesive.. even on my camry.. there is the whole 'just incase' factor. it was really worth it when some idiot decided not to look to his left when changing lanes on the parkway. scraches and dents all down the side of the beamer. one call and it sorted it all out.

you might think its cheaper to just get TPP but you cant assume that the accident that you may have is not going to be your fault. im going full comprehensive on my Chaser not because i think im going to crash it, but incase i crash it.. sh!t happens. if someone runs into you in the car park then drives off you arent covered with TTP, same with keying and all the other awesome things that idiots decide to do to someone elses car..

i've got full comp on my car as well with just car, excess is heaps atm so i wouldn't claim unless its going to cost more then the excess

You'll prolly get manslaughter - pedestrians have right of way :D

What about if you're cruising on the highway, and some punk kid thinks he is the man, and throws himself at your car while your travelling at 100km/h with the intention of causing damage to it. Can you sue him or whats left of him ? :D Or sue his family :D

What about if you're cruising on the highway, and some punk kid thinks he is the man, and throws himself at your car while your travelling at 100km/h with the intention of causing damage to it. Can you sue him or whats left of him ? :D Or sue his family :D

Ive had something similar happen to me... I've id'd him, they have his name and address, a full police report, but can't prove it - even my comprehensive insurance won't cover my excess because he said he didn't do it.

Its all fine and dandy until you take into account that it is ONLY up to $10,000. Then due to your age you have ~$3500 worth of excesses to deduct from it, but if its a much cheaper car sure. Only losing $3,500 from your $10,000 market value car is cheaper than full comp if its just to cover theft and if you did have full comp you would have been paying that $3,500 extra anyway and then have to pay it again but you don't get the other benefits of full comp.

Its all fine and dandy until you take into account that it is ONLY up to $10,000. Then due to your age you have ~$3500 worth of excesses to deduct from it, but if its a much cheaper car sure. Only losing $3,500 from your $10,000 market value car is cheaper than full comp if its just to cover theft and if you did have full comp you would have been paying that $3,500 extra anyway and then have to pay it again but you don't get the other benefits of full comp.

Man i understand fck all about insurances!! Teach me! What is this excesses that people pay ? Why you need to pay them. Whats a premium. !! How does this insurance thing even work when your paying it, making a claim etc.

O yeah and how much would those rims that i posted earlier cost in second hand form if you can get them second hand anywhere, and would they fit a GTT r34 and how much for the tires ? (probably also second hand ;) but with some tread)

well as much as i know, premium is the amount that you pay annually to cover your car, the exess is mainly for lovely people like us mate, young drivers, with high performance jap cars, its money that on top of the premium that you would have to pay in an accedent, its a way for insurence companeis to covere the cost, i pay so much as there is 600 dollars under 21 excess, 600 male driver excess and 600 jap car excess is truely crap but such is life. as far as i am aware (please correct me if im wrong) the excess is only chargd if the accent is your fault, ie not charged if the cheap prick who crashes into you cant/wont pay for the damages

alex

the excess is only chargd if the accent is your fault, ie not charged if the cheap prick who crashes into you cant/wont pay for the damages

alex

well, technically right, but unfortunately, due to lying b@stards, only half true... you have to be able to 'prove' it was their fault. So grab an independant witness if you can, or don't move until the Police have arrived. If the Police don't want to come, tell them the damage is pretty bad and that you think you're hurt. Try to get a written statement from the guilty party at the scene and full details of witnesses nearby. Your own passengers are not witness enough apparently. Its bullsh!t really, but its what the world is coming to.

the excess is only chargd if the accent is your fault, ie not charged if the cheap prick who crashes into you cant/wont pay for the damages

in my case it was the other guys fault and he admitted it to me when we were on the other side of the road, which is a good thing because there were no independent witnesses (ZCR didnt count). and as a result i didnt have to pay the excess as the girl on the phone said that she was satisfied that it wasnt my fault just from what i had said so there was no burden on me to prove it anyway.

another friend of mine got rear ended and he had a couple of ppl ask him if he wanted them to be witnesses.. generally people seem to be willing to help insituations like that.

the other good thing know is we all have fancy amera phones, can i suggest not moving any vehicals and takings lots of happy snaps to get an idea of what happened, then to leave it on voice record, bad that the world has come to this ay.

my insurence is 3500 a year

Faaaark! I pay 2K a year, been driving ~7 years with no incident, 60% no (at fault) claims through JCI. Market value of the car is 18k or something but I've haggled it to be covered for 20.5K.

In short, I also wouldn't have bought my car if I knew all the things that I would have to do to it (admittedly I've had bad luck/niggling problems though). If you are the kind of person who is happy to keep it stock, not worry about a few dings in rims, funny noises/rattles in the car, you don't have inherent bad luck (walking Murphy's Law here), you're not worried about minor imprefections in the panelwork or the cabin (these ARE older cars) and if you can swing a decent deal (you judge here) on full comp insurance, then a Skyline is quite a nice car to have, providing you budget the costs properly and STILL have enough spare money (is there such a thing?) to maintain a decent quality of life (goin out with mates, gigs, holidays from work if you are a contractor, etc). If you are mechanically inclined and can do work yourself, and you know a few mates 'in the business' to get parts cheap, then you're looking even better for a Skyline.

BUT: If you are the kind (like me), who hates strange noises from the car, can't help but upgrade everything over and above the requirements if (WHEN) it breaks, you aren't the most knowledgeable about cars and don't really have mates who can buy parts cheap (there's always sellers on here though), you're screwed getting to work if you're without a car for more than 1 day, insurance is more than 2 weeks pay (/or whatever time period, create your own 'yardstick' here...), you can't garage the car safely, or you have to park in a dodgy place at work, you live in an area where cars like this get a lot of attention (I think we're actually not too badly off here in the ACT for that), ummm should I go on?

I would restate my initial advice. If your young and want a fun car, get a free revving Honda or something, whack some good tyres on it, an exhaust with a TASTEFUL note (not a farting POS) and then just drive it. Wait til your older and possibly have spare money or have removed some of the above deterrences from the equation.

Having said that: your ambitions and 'want's in life will change over the years... right now, a lot of the 25-30yo ppl on this forum may look back wishing they owned a home instead of their car. But when they were 20-25yo's, they didn't really care about a home. But you can't live life trying to figure out what you'll want in 5 or 10 years and working only towards that without filling more immediate 'wants', it simply doesn't work that way and you'd end up being a boring Ned Flanders type. There's a middle line there which I guess most of us are treading. Talk to a few of us that you know in person (since some of this info is quite personal/financial) and you'll see the costs that are actually involved. Someone could even help you budget it out semi-realistically.

BTW you seem pretty worried about ppl randomly attacking you in your car: do you plan on having a bulls-eye on the bonnet and Nazi and sexist slogans down the side? lol

Ermm after all that, I should probably say: no offence to those who have a manual boost controller, dings in rims (heck, I do), or paying a months wage for insurance, I was just throwing numbers and ideas out there for examples to demonstrate to the OP that a Skyline can (with good luck, knowledge and connections) be run on a shoestring, but some people aren't that lucky.

PS: JewJistu: second hand tyres for anything but thrashing on the track/drift is dubious!!!!! Tyres are one of the most important things for these (and any) cars.

PPS: here is an (extreme) example of the fun and games to be had with Skylines: Dramas

PPPS: Sorry for all the poo-poo'ing haha

Edited by sl33py

another friend of mine got rear ended and he had a couple of ppl ask him if he wanted them to be witnesses.. generally people seem to be willing to help insituations like that.

My sister rear ended a ute on a form one lane after a round about. The guy in the ute overtook her at the exiting section of the roundabout then slammed on the brakes because there was a big line up of cars at the form one lane. Peak hour traffic but apparently no one witnessed the crash, no one even stopped, they just drove around the crash and kept on their way to work.

Luckily the guy admitted it was his fault and never chased up the insurance claim, my sisters car was written off though.

I pay $1500 a year through just car insurance for full comprehensive insurance on my turbo r33, i have a $1400 excess plus about $300 for being younger than 25 years old. I'am only turning 21 this year, so by the sounds mine is cheaper than some. Car is insured for my purchase price.

alex

Depends on who your with, I was with Young and cool with my old car, got rear ended by a 4x4, who was also hit behind, due to them contesting fault between each other, it took me 15 months to get my excess back, my insurance company made me pay, and it was in their conditions, read the fine print, they sometimes make you pay. I only got the money back when my insurance got its money back.