SAU Community

Guard Hitting Issues...add Camber?

Hey All,

Currently running 255/45s front and rear on ce28N volk rims but the fronts sometimes rub/grab the guard lip when turning and going over a reasonable bump. Running tein coilovers, not sure what weight or rates and as far as I know standard upper and rear camber arms. Do you think I could fix the front guard grabbing problem simply by getting some adjustable upper arms and adding some negative camber so that it turns the top of the tyre inwards? It has actually pulled the inside of the guard lip down a bit and I want to rectify the problem before it gets any worse or do some track work.

Ill try to get some pics tonight and check to see what arms im running and what rates/type the coilovers are. I wouldnt mind some neg. camber anyway to add to the mean stance and would definitely help with any track work I do (not serious track work though :P).

P2110006.jpg

Cheers!

Gagz

Yeah camber will definitely help. It doesnt look like its sticking out too far at the back, assuming you're running same size rims front and back. Mine sticks out worse at the rear and I dont get guard rubbing at the front.

Or you can remove the inner guard lining too which will help a bit. If worse comes to worse just roll the inside of the lip upwards and your problems will be solved :P

Why not just roll the guards?

If you run more neg chamber your going to get uneven tyre wear depending on how much you run..

You could also stiffen the spring even further so it does not compress as much and doesn't rub/touch.. this of coure means that the ride will be even more uncomfortable..

If you unnecesserally add neg chamber you lessen the contact patch of the tyre in a straight line.. hence less grip in a straight line.. but it neg chamber helps during corners as the chassie leans into the corner with the weight.. it evens out the the chamber making the tyre sit flat on the ground and hence maximising your contact patch..

Just some food for thought..

Edited by GTS4WD

Yeah knew all that but thanks GTS4WD....thinking of only running 1 to 1.5neg camber, nothing huge and my coilovers are already at their stiffest setting which gets complaints from the ol' folks :laugh:...don't know whether the springs are progressive ones, might help.

Don't want to risk cracking the paint so rolling the guards is my last option.

Cheers!

Gagz

Yeah I suppose that is one solution but I like the height its at as it fills the guards nicely and still negotiates all speed bumps and driveways fine so I'm really looking for a solution to keep it the way it is.

Talking to Sydney Kid though, he says minimum wheel centre to guard distance is 355mm front and 345mm rear, where I've got the opposite, 345mm front and 355mm rear...so maybe the front can come up a little :)

Cheers!

Craig

Edit - correcting my first post, the tyres are 255/40/17s..Cheers!

Edited by R31 Gagz

The more usual ride height for the front is 355, 345 on the rear. This will help avoid your issue on the front but may cause them on the rear. It will also help the car to handle better.

255 width tyres on a 17" rim should clear in most cases - as long as the wheel offset is correct. It should be a +22 which will be written on the inside of the rim (You need to take it off)

the EXACT same thing happens on my 32, thought i fixed it by rolling the inside of the lip up but that didnt do anything..so im going to get some coil overs soon, ill be keen to know how you fix it when ya do get it fixed.

Hey All,

Never really looked that close before the other night, but my coilovers are Tein type NA which arent height adjustable and about the softest of the range according to Sydney Kid. So for now ill probably just apply a front camber kit with about 1 to 1.5deg negative camber to try and get around the problem. Once i've got some more cash Ill go the whole SK suspension kit :O.

Thanks everyone for their input and help.

Cheers!

Craig

Similar thing happened to my HR31, I removed the inner guard (taped and tied the cables up) and attacked the inside of the lip with a hammer. Result: no more scrubbing.

Even with more camber if its only happening on hard lock the tyre is still going to be sticking out the guard a fair bit so it may not help at all. However more camber will help with handling so it can't hurt to try.