SAU Community

Turbo Failure On Rb26

hi all,

i know that when a stock turbo fails on the gtr, the ceramic dust gets sucked into the engine and kills the engine. However i have only heard of this happening to r32's and r33's , mostly r32's. Has anyone heard of this happening to r34's . I know for sure that all r32, r33 and r34's (except the n1 and nurs )

have ceramic wheels so the potential is their. But i still haven't heard of any r34's doing this. Does anyone know of any r34 gtr's who have had their engine killed by the ceramic dust.

regards

mike

Ceramic dust??? How does dust from the exhaust turbine get into your engine?

I was under the impression that when the turbo's fail it's the ceramic exhust wheel that delaminates from the shaft due to the glue/bonding agent can't cope with the additional heat generated by extra boost. If you continue to run the engine after the exhust wheel has delaminated then the whole rotating assembly will be horribly out of balance, causing the metal compressor wheel to scrape the compressor housing and sending fine shavings of metal through your engine.

Ceramic dust??? How does dust from the exhaust turbine get into your engine?

I was under the impression that when the turbo's fail it's the ceramic exhust wheel that delaminates from the shaft due to the glue/bonding agent can't cope with the additional heat generated by extra boost. If you continue to run the engine after the exhust wheel has delaminated then the whole rotating assembly will be horribly out of balance, causing the metal compressor wheel to scrape the compressor housing and sending fine shavings of metal through your engine.

The shafts in turbo chargers spin at speeds in excess of 100,000rpm. So there is no point hypothesizing about where the bits of turbine wheel, shaft & housing are going to end up because the answer is everwhere. Including in your precious RB26.

I wouldnt be worried about turbo pieces going in your engine mate, most turbos fail at the exhaust side of the scope, I had a twin turbo engine previously and blew 6 turbos on it, never had any drams with engines, you see when one turbo fails the other turbo can not produce enough boost to even read 3 psi (read from gauge) , because pressure will always take the easiest option out, meaning that one turbo has failed and the other will just basically push air in to the other one because its closer (pressure follows path of least resistance) so i would imagine that as soon as the turbo fails there wouldnt be enough pressure to even push it through your FMIC etc . . correct me if im wrong just a thought!

you know, that is the reasonable answer.

But I have seen so many GTR engines killed by ceramic turbine failure (including my first, virgin rebuild) that it is just not true. when the gtr turbs let go you can end up with material in the bore that stuff it, badly. no difference in the 32-34 except for its age

Its a well known fact that the ceramic dust from ceramic turbos dieing can lunch RB26's.

Dont ask me how, exactly, it gets up in there, but I would hazzard a guess it has something to do with the huge RPM that the turbos run.

I wouldnt be worried about turbo pieces going in your engine mate, most turbos fail at the exhaust side of the scope, I had a twin turbo engine previously and blew 6 turbos on it, never had any drams with engines, you see when one turbo fails the other turbo can not produce enough boost to even read 3 psi (read from gauge) , because pressure will always take the easiest option out, meaning that one turbo has failed and the other will just basically push air in to the other one because its closer (pressure follows path of least resistance) so i would imagine that as soon as the turbo fails there wouldnt be enough pressure to even push it through your FMIC etc . . correct me if im wrong just a thought!

Use the search button and you will find plenty on this topic . I even posted pics a few years ago for the none believers to see what happens to the engine . It is the exhaust wheel that lets go and becomes dust, gets sucked in via open exhaust valves and the rest is history....

My theory is that it is due to cam shaft overlap. The exhaust valves don't shut completely before the induction cycle starts. There is therefore some return of exhaust gasses from the manifold which now contains the ceramic particles that used to be your exhaust terbine.

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread since I couldn't find anything rb25 specific, and I suppose my question doesn't differ much anyway. Short story is my turbo went, compression came back as 125psi on each cylinder, dry test (r32 rb25de-t) Now I'm in the process of getting the new turbo put in and uprated injectors. Turbo was a slide hi flow

Now the compressor wheel did lunch itself, the mechanic found light metal shavings behind the pod, and some small bits near the IM. Now since my compression test came back ok, is there anything else to watch out for, or is it probable that the engine is ok if the compression tests consistent? Only idled the car once or twice after the turbo went, and tried to boost it twice 30 secs or so after the turbo went. Pretty much figured the turbo was stuffed when it didn't boost.

Getting the FMIC and all the intercooler piping flushed out as a matter of course. Also new engine oil and filter, since the turbo was leaking oil when I shut it off.

This is a known fact.

ceramic particles traveling that fast aren't going to be stopped by exhaust gas.

Imagine shooting an bullet (even if very small) into your exhaust port against the gas flow.

Slaughter and others;

* the damage occurs through the exhaust port . Not the intake.

Compressor side failures while being bad arent as bad as an exhaust side failure on a GTR. A compressor side failure still blows its air through your intercooler which does filter it a little. Compressor side failures will probably never happen on a gtr with stock turbo's anyway unless the intake injests foreign particles that cause the compressor wheel to break.

Like Rev210 says with his bullet theory. Consider the inertia energy of a wheel spinning at 100,000 rpm. Its going to go wherever it wants to go when it comes off the shaft. No amount of gas flow is going to changed the direction the wheel wants to go.