SAU Community

Replacement Box For Gtr With Engine Mod

Yeah I got a 6puk Jim Berry clutch on its way for when I do fit the replacement box... with my old box, would it be worth selling as a shagged box to someone or getting it fixed incase I stuff up the replacement? Going to go with a stock 32 box, cant really afford 3.2k

-D

Hi mate,I'm in the same boat and am about to get my series 1 gtr 33 box speced up to series 3 by a company in sydney called Award gearboxes,it probably wouldn't be fair to tell you the quoted price he gave me to do all synchros input shaft bearings seals etc but I think the price was very reasonable and Terry has done lots of them before so he knows all the bits to buy and gets good deals from nissan in melb.

Third gear in the series 3 box has a better holding mechanism than the clips that hold in the series 1 third gear which will cause serious damage if they let go, and they do frequently, and a bigger input shaft,I'm doing the jim berry clutch upgrade and a nismo clutch pedal bracket and fork pivot bolt at the same time.

Pulling a gtr box out and in is expensive and labour intensive and for that reason I didn't want to take a chance on a second hand series 3 box just in case it had to come out again ,so I'm going this way to avoid disappointment and extra expense,hope this helps.ps don't use redline smurfs blood in the new box use vmx 80 or an equivalent imho.Grey Pearl.

I do a little bit of heel/toe when going around a corner but really not much. I just drive around the city and try not to draw attention to myself. I've never double clutched (dont know anything about it). The previous owner did abuse the shite out of the box which is why they had the redline shockproof gunk in it. Its mainly the synchros which are rooted, the gears themselves feel really good. Just shifting into gear after acceleration can cause the grind... if I let the engine rev down to 3-4 it usually slips in OK but anything above 4k is grind city... Im mainly just curious cause the extra power I want to draw later on when I get turbos replaced. I don't think I need the OSG kit at all, and if the stock GTR boxes are as ballsy as their reputation leads me to believe, then I should be ok. Bear in mind its an 18 yr old gearbox which has undoubtably been thrashed out by its previous owner... thats the way I look at it at least. So if I can get a decent 2nd hand box I should be ok.... otherwise its synchro+thrust bearing replacement (which is probably more expensive?)

Not too sure really...

-D

I am always disappointed when I hear people advising others to drive gtr's or any other skyline for that matter with double clutching ,heel toeing etc,they didn't come out of the factory having to be driven like this so why would we want them to become vulnerable to the dunnydores etc by driving them in this manner, I'm not averse to a throttle blip on change downs to assist synchro meshing speeds but can you imagine racing something half decent using double clutching rather than fixing the problems that are the cause of these symptoms and expecting to win?? most off the lights drags that we are all expected to do to uphold the reputation and street cred of skylines will be won or lost in 200 mtrs so do the marque a favour and fix the synchros and use the right oils nissan recommends and keep them performing and winning not being too scared to flex a muscle when it's needed otherwise buy a mini or something where street cred doesn't matter,Grey Pearl.

I am always disappointed when I hear people advising others to drive gtr's or any other skyline for that matter with double clutching ,heel toeing etc,they didn't come out of the factory having to be driven like this so why would we want them to become vulnerable to the dunnydores etc by driving them in this manner, I'm not averse to a throttle blip on change downs to assist synchro meshing speeds but can you imagine racing something half decent using double clutching rather than fixing the problems that are the cause of these symptoms and expecting to win?? most off the lights drags that we are all expected to do to uphold the reputation and street cred of skylines will be won or lost in 200 mtrs so do the marque a favour and fix the synchros and use the right oils nissan recommends and keep them performing and winning not being too scared to flex a muscle when it's needed otherwise buy a mini or something where street cred doesn't matter,Grey Pearl.

Thats probably the best advice recieved yet. I'm lucky that a kind member out there has offered his s3 r33 gtr box to me at an excellent price, and I'll be taking him up on that offer. To me its more secure than the uncertainty of the random used box at a wreckers... I don't drive hard compared to the average SAU'er, so I think once I get that box and the jim berry clutch fit, I wont have a problem. And I'll never use that redline crap. Only minerals and semi synths for me.

4 weeks till a new gearbox. I cannot bloody wait. I'm so damn sick of crunching gears. I'll be selling my old box for $500 odd as a donor system if anyone is interested. Synchros are 90% dead but the gears themselves are in good condition (by the feel of it, I honestly don't have much idea about mechanical components).

Either I sell it as is or get it rebuilt but in either case I'll have a box free in 2 months time if anyone wants dibs on it.

-D

Hi mate,I'm in the same boat and am about to get my series 1 gtr 33 box speced up to series 3 by a company in sydney called Award gearboxes,it probably wouldn't be fair to tell you the quoted price he gave me to do all synchros input shaft bearings seals etc but I think the price was very reasonable and Terry has done lots of them before so he knows all the bits to buy and gets good deals from nissan in melb.

Terry and Trish from Award do all our diff and gearbox work and come highly recommended for the quality of work. Great people too. :)

Yeah I got a 6puk Jim Berry clutch on its way for when I do fit the replacement box... with my old box, would it be worth selling as a shagged box to someone or getting it fixed incase I stuff up the replacement? Going to go with a stock 32 box, cant really afford 3.2k

-D

Dohmar

You can purchase a brand new R32 GTR Kouki (1993+) OEM 5sp gearbox from RHD Japan right now for under $1900 (delivered by land) or under $2100 by Air. The Zenki R32 GTR (up to 1993) one's are also available for the same price. With your planned clutch upgrade, you'll have no problem coping with your power output plus you'll have peace of mind being a brand new Nissan OEM gearbox.

I have ordered through them via Air and generally is a 2 week delivery.

Someone suggested the Series 3 R33 GTR gearbox @ $3200 but you can get this same gearbox delivered through RHD for about $2150, more than a grand cheaper than Just Jap.

Dohmar

You can purchase a brand new R32 GTR Kouki (1993+) OEM 5sp gearbox from RHD Japan right now for under $1900 (delivered by land) or under $2100 by Air. The Zenki R32 GTR (up to 1993) one's are also available for the same price. With your planned clutch upgrade, you'll have no problem coping with your power output plus you'll have peace of mind being a brand new Nissan OEM gearbox.

I have ordered through them via Air and generally is a 2 week delivery.

Someone suggested the Series 3 R33 GTR gearbox @ $3200 but you can get this same gearbox delivered through RHD for about $2150, more than a grand cheaper than Just Jap.

Hi mate' Do you know much about what these gearboxes will fit and if they are just a box or have the bellhousing as well and if they are pull or push type bellhousings or do you just fit the new box straight to your existing bellhousing.also what's the difference between the two types of boxes you listed.Cheers Grey Pearl.

Hi mate' Do you know much about what these gearboxes will fit and if they are just a box or have the bellhousing as well and if they are pull or push type bellhousings or do you just fit the new box straight to your existing bellhousing.also what's the difference between the two types of boxes you listed.Cheers Grey Pearl.

The Zenki gearbox is simply the gearbox from the 89 - early 93 model. The Kouki (Japanese for 'latter period')gearbox is the 32 GTR gearbox you'll find in the 93 + models. There were some minor revisions to the internals not sure exactly what though. They are full gearboxes with bellhousings. Being R32 GTR gearboxes, they are designed for push-type clutches.

I have attached pic below.

post-48842-1213344601_thumb.jpg

Re the new Jap gearboxes. Shouldn't we be suspicious that these boxes are still around 'new'? They're 15-20 years old. Why / how can they be new? Could they be warranty returns or seconds? I'd like to be wrong about this, but.....

Anyone have specific experience of going down this road?

Cheers.

Singling out one line but

I'm not averse to a throttle blip on change downs to assist synchro meshing speeds but can you imagine racing something half decent using double clutching rather than fixing the problems that are the cause of these symptoms and expecting to win??

You are aware what double clutching is aren't you??

I'm pretty certain the 'Kouki' gearbox in an R32 gtr is used with a 'pull' type clutch.

I think Quiksta is correct - the 'Kouki' (1993+) gearbox may be designed for Pull type clutches as late model R32 GTR's switched to this type of clutch. I have sent an email to RHD to confirm. Will let everyone know when I get a reply from them.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Quiksta is correct - the 'Kouki' (1993+) gearbox may be designed for Pull type clutches as late model R32 GTR's switched to this type of clutch. I have sent an email to RHD to confirm. Will let everyone know when I get a reply from them.

Update received from RHD Japan:

The Zenki gearbox is for use with push type clutches and suits the early model R32 GTR's. The Kouki gearbox is designed for use with pull type clutches and is the same as the R33 GTR.

• 2 months later...
Singling out one line but

You are aware what double clutching is aren't you??

Of course I am familiar with double clutching in trucks and ultra slow synchro boxes, but I won't be doing it in a gtr as I said in the post if you take the time to read it properly.grey pearl