SAU Community

Engine Rebuild?

What parts should be changed when rebuilding a motor to run at the stock 7psi? I just want it to run well seeing how it has over 150k on the motor, I searched but only found engine builds that will have monster hp, I just want to get mine running smoothly and reliable before adding more expensive parts for more power

if its just to run 7psi, and it only has 150k on it i wouldnt bother, just keep saving your money for a proper rebuild if you plan to do it.

some items you MIGHT want to replace though, gaskets, hoses, piston rings, make sure your valves are sealing and arnt carbon'd up.

how far down the track did you want to put more power into the engine? what engine?

how much money were you wanting to spend on this engine build (refresh)??

Sorry, rb26dett, Im getting the car next week(cant wait!) and I dont want anything to happen to it in the first month of driving it. well in the future my goal is 450-500whp. mostly for weekend driving and the track for fun

well it says 150k, and could of been driven really hard, not taken care of and rolled back too

Edited by DosuGTR

well when you get it, change plugs, fuel filter, have a look at the brakes, check all suspenion bushes. just give the car a good check over in general, if the majority of things look good then you should be fine.

dont thrash it stupidly and itl last for a while. but since ur only just getting it...you'l thrash it haha.

just see how it feels and looks before you start organising a rebuild. 26builds arnt cheap...

where are you located?

CJ

Sorry, rb26dett, Im getting the car next week(cant wait!) and I dont want anything to happen to it in the first month of driving it. well in the future my goal is 450-500whp. mostly for weekend driving and the track for fun

well it says 150k, and could of been driven really hard, not taken care of and rolled back too

So you want to rebuild it once to suit 7psi and basic power, and then rebuild it again later for 450-500rwhp?

You obviously don't know how much the labour/machining/necessary parts costs for a rebuild... it's BIG money.

Well I cant just like change the water and oil pumps now ect, then later change the pistons and rods and all? or is that pretty much useless and going to cost my twice the labor? I guess ill just save up and do it in one shot, I heard there was some site to buy rebuilt rb26's?

So you want to rebuild it once to suit 7psi and basic power, and then rebuild it again later for 450-500rwhp?

You obviously don't know how much the labour/machining/necessary parts costs for a rebuild... it's BIG money.

sorry mate but he's right. engine rebuilds are only if you need it. your gonna need your cash for everything that breaks down on them. keep a stash for when that happens

have you had a GTR before? realize how much power they have stock? you can easily get 300awkw out of a GTR with simple cheap and easy mods like exhaust turbos and boost. if its got the 150,000 on it then maybe it already has had the pumps replaced. you would find it a lot cheaper to do a 100000km service then to rebuild the whole motor

well in that case, maybe you are better off replacing the brakes and rotors, new suspension. while you are there, replace the bushes.

the interior would be on the way out by now as well, so order new plastics, seats and carpets.

seals around the windows are getting a bit weary, and you don't want them blowing out while you are doing a 300kmh plus pass down to the local shops, so replace them, along with basically anything else that is over 12 months old...

maybe just buy a new gtr...?

Well I figured alot of these imported skylines were beaten on so its better safe than sorry

Dude, if the WORST happens and your motor lets go, you'll be up for a minimum $6000 rebuild (incl. labour, but mostly stock parts).

If you want to make sure that doesn't happen, you're up for a minimum $6000 rebuild (incl. labour, but mostly stock parts).

Safe = $6k, Sorry = $6k.

There is no point in doing what you're saying. You're better off changing the oil ever 1500kms like most do and hoping it doesn't spin a bearing (good luck!).

If you want to be assured your car wont break down in the first few months of ownership, don't buy a GT-R.

If you want to be assured your car wont break down in the first few months of ownership, don't buy a GT-R.

Or buy one with an already rebuilt motor, or buy one with a popped stocker motor with the plan to rebuild it. No gambling this way, know what you are getting.

yeah just go with it for now. main thing is to give it a good service (eg all new fluids - there are a lot in a gtr.....) and don't turn the boost over say 12-14psi. You should be fine, and if not you are in for that rebuild anyway :blink: