SAU Community

Engine Rebuild?

For only 300-350awkw you wont need the extra displacement for response, it is possible to have that kind of power with small aftermarket twins and still be responsive as hell.

However yes it will help. Keep in mind though, for a 2.8L or a RB30 bottem end your looking at anywhere from $5000-$10000 depending on what exactly you want to do.

Once you factor in fuel system, turbo (or turbos), ECU, Tomei 2.8 kit ($6000 approx), exhaust, piping, machining, balancing, gaskets, labour, tuning etc etc it starts to add up really quick....

Get the car inspected by someone who can tell you...

-what injectors are fitted.

-what turbo's are fitted.

-if there was an after market engine management ever fitted.

Besides this..check spark plugs for uneven burn..check radiator for bad colouring..check engine oil level and change ASAP.

Replace timing belt...fuel pump..and all oils including diff..gearbox...

Oil pump means engine out..so plan to do engine work at the same time

You will find some good advice on here on the good oils to use.

Also save some pennies for new Turbo's...that is if you don't want engine work earlier.

This above items will determine you next steps on making it more reliable as a day to day car.

After all of the above has been addressed...save some pennies for a clutch...before 3 Month of driving...

if you still have a stock clutch....you will be loosing grip.

Jim Berry Clutches.....he will rebuild you stock clutch...do not throw it away.

Also keep your exhaust..if it is stock that is.

Keep you suspension as well..GTR suspensions are great on the road.....you may just need new shocks at a latter date.

Hope I have been of some help.

So when they talking about balancer or balancing the engine they only mean the part like, ati or ross brand balancer?

each of the reciprocating components is individually weighed and any irregularities are adjusted (by removing material from the heavier ones) the crank is mounted on a balancing machine and spun to measure any problem areas. Material is then removed from it to make it operate true.

each of the reciprocating components is individually weighed and any irregularities are adjusted (by removing material from the heavier ones) the crank is mounted on a balancing machine and spun to measure any problem areas. Material is then removed from it to make it operate true.

Engine out....

New oil pump

New Balancer.

Allow 4K

Maybe a new crank..depending on it condition.

Allow 1K

When motor is out...new Turbo's a must....to difficult when motor is in.

Allow another 3K

GTR's cost money...

Plan your mods.....take it step by step.....

Allow for miss...items......

Crank...lol.....that will be the least of your worries.... :D

awesome, you guys are great, i wont feel like a complete noob when i go to a local tuner(just a small noob :) )

those 3 guages that come over the audio system are they really needed after i buy some ones that are needed for upping the boost? because my car didnt come with them, has some ugly audio system in its place

the stock gauges in the din slot are fairly crap at the best of times. you will need to know what your motor is doing so get some good gauges. The stock 1s dont read very well