SAU Community

Rb26 Into A Trans Am

Ive got this thing where i want to put an RB26 into a 1978-79 Pontiac Trans-Am. Ive always liked trans ams' ever since seeing smokey and the bandit around 10 years ago. My current love is obviously skylines and thought why not mix it up. What do you guys think of this conversion? Theres room in the engine bay for the motor but would the gearbox fit in or would it need extensive modifications to work? I searched on the net for such a conversion but there doesnt seem to be one yet (maybe for a reason). Can 'haters' please not post responses like "It wont work cause trans ams are shit". ;)

possible, i think there is a trans am in the middle east on youtube which is sporting a 2jz, so i dont see why a rb26 would be possible.

love the idea tho

Edited by jivlah

Anything can be done, with the application of enough money.

American muscle cars should be V8s though. ;)

If I wanted to "mix it up" (I dig old Knight Rider "F body" Trans Ams too) I'd drop in a Lexus or Infiniti V8, and then add boost. :)

there was a guy building a ac cobra here in adelaide when i was building mine he put a turbo rb30 in with autronic inj .

it went bloody fast but sounded so wrong i think craig allan did the injection work and the car owners name was rohan from memorey.

that was about 8 yrs ago i reckon

my aim is rb26 into a 240 or 260z. hopefully by the end of next year. need to buy a house first to store it in...

i know it's been done before, but love the look of the car

i was let down so much by workshop after workshop cause i had a gen3 with 6speed manual, and they said it would throw the weight off the r32 if i wanted to do the transplant...

the sound of a gen3 with dropped pipes and the look of a 32, mmmm im gonna have a shower now...

my aim is rb26 into a 240 or 260z. hopefully by the end of next year. need to buy a house first to store it in...

i know it's been done before, but love the look of the car

But atleast its done and proven to be a good combo. Im gonna do some research and ask some workshops what they think about it before i go and buy things.