SAU Community

R33 GTST v 180SX SR20

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone keeps talking about power/weight.... but these figures mean nothing if there is a 200nm torque difference

don't forget that the r33 with same power/weight os s13 will have MROE torque. that means slower takeoff (more wiight) but quicker acceleration (torque+power) and by 100kph i would expect them to come out pretty much the same

but why not just get an r32 and then your car weights the same as an s13 and you aren't disadvantaged by weight? plus the r32 looks better...

sorry off the topic but did anyone read that article in 'HPI vol33' that says the mr2 is a better car than the s13 180sx? i was not happy with that review as it didn't really give the 180 a fair go!

I own a 180sx...

I dont think it looks bad at all, I love the shape. Most 180sx dont stay stock for to long...ill be removing the wing and getting it sleek. ( I wish I could put 34GTR mags on tho), so what im trying to say is "EACH TO THEIR OWN" <<< one opinion is totally invalid for another person.

180sx_2.jpg

Now, down to the discussion. I run 10psi, turbo back exhaust and a pod filter and nothing else. I have a mate with a 33 and I beat (catback exhaust at boosted). It all depends on drivers skill and the mods done to the car. But I have beaten other gtst before. But I have also had my ass whooped by em too

Wait till I get my SAFC...

ALSO: I think a jap spec s15 would win too...aus spec maybe not.

• 3 months later...

I love the 180. I thought about getting one instead of the R33, and probably the only reason I didn't was because of the extra refinements on the Skyline (eg nicer interior and climate control and even just the sexy-arsed look of it). If I was poorer and wanted more bang for buck out of my car, I would have definitely chosen the 180 over the 'line, but I would still think the Skyline was a nicer car.

If I was richer I'd own both cars. I'm even trying to convince my gf to buy a 180SX when she can afford it in a year or 2, just so that I can effectively own both :D

Hi guys, I'd like to put to bed this weight thing....

A 1994 S13 180SX with an RB20DET in it, weighs more than an 1990 R32 GTST with an RB20DET in it. The R32 GTS weighs 1,240 kgs and the S13 weighs 1,280 kgs.

So I would suggest that anyone who thinks that by sticking and RB engine in an S13 they are getting a lighter car than an R32 GTST is sadly mistaken. Plus why you would want strut based suspension instead of double wishbones all round is beyond my comprehension. Should I mention the brakes, nah anyone who has driven an S13 and a R32 GTST M Spec will know the answer to that one already.

Don't get smug you S15 owners, even with the SR20DET they weigh 1,285 kgs, as for S14's, you're even worse off as they are 1,320 kgs.

But hey, this is a Skyline forum, so why shouldn't we be biased?

I think the 180's are nice looking cars, although unfortunately 90% of them you see around are pretty pov pack, with cheaper faded paint, looking a bit old and cheap looking. But done up nicely, they can look as sweet as any skyline, if not better in some ways.

I think it all comes down to the driving experience really. Skyline is more of a cruiser and more refinement that you'd enjoy driving every day. They're very well suited to Aussie roads, and long drives, and plenty of room. S13 is more of a cheap buzz box for a bit of fun or something you cared less about. If you ask me, a nice 6cylinder turbo is still nicer than any 4cylinder turbo to drive around.

Isn't the whole thing about the s13's not the actual weight, but the actual weight distribution?? But why you'd put just an RB20 in a s13 is a bit beyond me, and a complete waste unless you *had* to get a new engine. RB25DET in s13 would be a nice combo however, but again I guess you pickup the weight again.

Both cars can be made to look just as good as the other. Yes, the 180 does look out-dated...but if you buy a later model with the round tail lights...then it looks better. Even if you buy an earlier model 180, you can still do the rear light conversion. In my opinion, the R33 being a much bigger car is more of a cruiser. Due to it's size, it won't be as nimble as the smaller, lighter 180. So in terms of drift or circuit racing, the 180 would be on top. In terms of drag, I think the R33 will ultimately be better due to its larger displacement engine. To improve the R33 in handling for circuit racing, that's where the GTR comes in. Both excellent for drag and circuit, more so drag racing. But not so great for drift due to its even heavier weight.

It all depends on what you want in a car? In terms of daily driving, the R33 could probably be better as it more resembles a "family" car. Being larger and probably more comfortable. But then again, with the $$$ saved on buying an earlier model 180, you could use that money to go into the interior. Get a set of nicer seats for instance. The dash is a problem though, would be difficult to change that to an s15 dash...which is nicer. Not sure about fuel economy of both cars? But I guess the 180 would be slightly better?

The better the mods, the better the performance. you can lighten any car, you can increase the power, and improve the handling, braking etc.

Bottom line, the best car is the one that you like the most.

I love S13, S14, S15, R32, R33, R34, If I could I would own one of each:)

I think the biggest thing that slows cars down though is the driver:p

Agreed. In terms of getting the most out of a car, you really need to understand how the car behaves under different conditions and what you need to do to get it going :P

Every high performance car can be improved. But their level of mods will be limited eventually, dependant upon several factors. For example the size of the engine. I believe that a 2.5L engine will always have more potential than a 2.0L engine? But this is going to the extreme, and how many people go there? For example, I have heard of near 600hp 2L engines...but then there aren't many people who would do this to any of their cars. Mainly due to the $$$ factor :(

On the otherhand, a larger car (with a larger engine) will probably never be as light as a smaller car (smaller engine). A lighter car increases performance, but then also improves handling.

But in the end, each to their own. If everyone owned the "ultimate" car...then everything would be boring seeing the same car drive past everywhere.

Most of your cars are everyday street vehicles. Yet we argue "this engine has more potential because it is .5ltr bigger or this car is liter" Both rb25det and sr20det have the potential of undrivable horse power. So what is the difference in potential if you can't even use that power?

Dropping back to 3rd and having the arse snap sideways on you after you give it full throttle, only speeds you into a coffin.

I admit that the R34 GTST doesn't look that great, and maybe the series2 R33 might even look better...standard. But just WHO leaves their skyline standard? There are so many bodykits out there that any of the skylines can look equally as good as the other.

A question, has anyone heard of doing an R34GTR front conversion (headlight and bumper) on an R33 GTR? Can it be done? I ask because I like the looks of the R34GTR better, but I can't afford one and if I had a choice, would go for an R33GTR based on price.