SAU Community

Speedo Doesn't Work Sometimes

lazar

Hey, I am as of recently the proud owner of a 97 r33 gts-t.

I seem to have discovered a bit of a problem today when driving, my speedo wouldn't go above 0 km/h until a few minutes into the drive.

I normally warm up the car all the time first, and I first noticed it when I started driving it cold. I'm not sure if it starts working when the car warms up a bit or if it works when I reach a certain speed, either way it doesn't last too long. Obviously this is pretty worrying for me, any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Have you got a custom cluster background?

When i took my cluster needles off to change the background I accidently put a needle on too much and was catching until the force was enough to pull it off.. could be something to look into

Do R33's use an electronic speedo sensor? It'll either be that or the speedo head itself. Assuming it is an electronic speedo drive it will work as a pulse generator which you can test by checking its A/C voltage while you spin it or check for continuity (resistance check). If all is good there then test for the same at the other end of the wiring up at the speedo head. If you have an acceptable A/C voltage there too then it has to be the speedo head.

Deren

just to add, mine works on the race track without issue, and up old pac ..

also replaced the whole cluster and same issue.

r33 is electronic - i have had the red gear checked on the speed sensor and it looks fine to my mechanic - continuity check would be great if you could get a wiring diagram of the dash console for 33's

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to my old car (lancer shhh :P ) took the gauge cluster out of the dash and had a really close look at all the wires on the PCB.

i found a tiny little hair line crack in one of the runs. so pretty much as the temps changed in the car the gap would expand causing the Speedo to cut out.

i souldered a small strip of bare wire across the gap and it fixed the problem. Could be the same problem here.

Edited by Rucker34

have you guys checked the wiring of the speed sensor on the ecu? maybe you have like an RSM or something similar hooked up and some how that wire is grounding itself to the chasis?

its possible, i have thought of this, however i believe the ECU gets the signal after the dash does. will rip out the ECU one day and check them all anyway :)

My speedo has been working ok but my odometer has been on and off for the last month or so.

Pulled the dash apart and gained access to the back of the cluster. Ends up that I was getting

a few dry solder joints. Expected I suppose being 12 years old now. Just added a bit of fresh

solder to each of the tracks on the back, took all of 20 mins work and now everything is back to

normal :) .