SAU Community

My R32 Doesn't Start Properly

jakez88

got a 32 gtst and every time its on a cold start it doesn't start up properly. when its warm it will start fine but when its a cold start it will turn but then jsut die after a few turns. this happened with my old gtst also but never new what the problem was.

i've been hearing alot about a problem with air flow meters being screwed up for 32's but not sure how to check. can someone whos experienced the same thing tell me what to look for or know what it is exactly?

thanks

mine does that too, I was told by the previous owner it was due to having a microtech ecu (uses a map sensor rather than a MAF meter)

It only happens when the water temp is under 30 degrees or so, so either overnight or on a freezing cold day usually.

mine does the same thing, i thought it cause by the battery, checked and was fine. then, the fuel system

i put the injector cleaner into the fuel tank, still does the same thing. what i'm gonna do next is change the fuel filter

and it could be the ecu after the filter changed and problems atill there

hmm...i also thought it was the battery as mine still has those weak tiny batteries from japan but its still on full charge and i even started it with a jump starter pack and still happened.

for you other guys check your afm's if you haven't already checked as there is soemthing inside them that might need to be soldered back on to its original place. theres a whoe thread about it somewhere but can't find it.

i might jsut have to check with a mechanic but i have this feeling that they won't know anything unless they have a skyline themselves.

does anyone know waht it is exactly so i can look out for it?

I was having the same problem up until today as well. Pulled out my afm and replaced it with a spare one i had lying around and it works fine now.

Might not be the same problem you guys are having but solved it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

got a couple of suggestions, ages ago this problem came on a thread. will try and remember... here goes...

the earthing for the fuel pump is floating earth controlled by computer. pedal down, proper earth - full voltage, pedal untouched half earth- half voltage to fuel pump, thats why ppl sumtimes blip the throttle on start up. Sumthing along those lines anyway. ppl have suggest to run relay and proper 12v or (13.8v) str8 from battery to pump and by pass the ccomputer.

next, theres the idler assembly on the intake manifold- firewall side, cud try carbi cleaner, also theres the aac (not sure if the same thing) which may need cleaning.

do sum search and go through tutorials, there was a big thing a while ago.

Edited by jvs007

yeh man i get the same problem. start my car in the morning and if i dont give the accelerator a bit of a tap, it won't start up properly.

I also had a problem with my AFM, car would just shut off while i was driving.

If you think its the AFM, do a check through the ECU, search the ECU codes on the forum.

I got mine re-soldered and i haven't had any problems with the AFM since.

Dont quote me on this and maybe someone with owners manual can confirm but I heard that they are supposed to be started with acc pedal depressed and without clutch being depressed. Variable fuel pump voltage-correct and no pre-load on the mainshaft and gearbox

My R32 did the same thing and usually adding a bit of gas helped, but on friday it got so worse car just shut down no matter how many time i pressed accelerator pedal to keep it running so I had to get it towed to get it fixed... its most likely ECU related problem or air-flow meter. In either case car most likely just needs some adjusting, which can be done at dyno tuning place under cold start conditions (which may involve leaving car there overnight). Got RAA to tow the car to service/dyno tuning place to fix it.They will probably fix it by mon/tue next week and then I'll report here how it went.

Dont quote me on this and maybe someone with owners manual can confirm but I heard that they are supposed to be started with acc pedal depressed and without clutch being depressed. Variable fuel pump voltage-correct and no pre-load on the mainshaft and gearbox

My friend's R32 starts normally without pressing pedal. I dont think they are supposed to be started like that.

Edited by Rocky88