SAU Community

Laws Relating To Tyres And Brakes When Complying

Hi Guys,

I realise this is more 'compliance' than 'importing' but I guess most on this part of the forum will know the answers.

I'm pretty sure that I have this right, but if someone with better knowledge could confirm, would be much appreciated;

1) Tyres - assumedly MUST be a new set of DOT approved tyres each time, rather than simply using the 'almost new' tyres you used last time? If they must be new, can the 'customer' (not the workshop) supply these...with invoice....to avoid being 'gouged' on tyre prices (most recent example I saw....workshop charged twice retail price available elsewhere)

2) Brakes - assumedly do NOT need to be changed, unless they are deemed to be undersize? I assume this because most importers websites I see mention compliance plus GST plus tyres but do not seem to mention brakes. However my mate just complied two cars through a Brissie workshop, and was hit up for front and rear pads on both cars. As above, can the customer source these?

Cheers,

Jez

i think you may find and it is a pretty general rule of thumb anywhere in the world, but when complying any vehical all saftey devices must be "as new"

ie tyres, brakes, seat belts, air bags, no crash damage, lights, frontal impact area regulations,

it really depends on the shop. but most will allow you to source the new tyres as long as you provide them with the invoice for them to keep with their paperwork. and of course they must be new, and DOT or E marked. Since all shops do things just a little differently it's hard to definitively answer these type of questions.