SAU Community

R30, l20et - Rb20det Turbo upgrade?

hey guys, im new to your forum , so please be nice.

i did a search on this topic and nothing really came up on what i needed to know.,

ATm i have a Rb20det turbo waiting to bolt on to my l20et, since my Current turbo is a little bit on the "worn" side, 1/2 boost.

i also have the Rb dump pipe.

What i need to know is what is involved in fitting this turbo, where to get the water feed for it from ?. i was thinking about killing off the water feed going to the Throttle body and rerouting it to the turbo, if that will work.

If im missing any thing please tell me, as this is a important upgrade i really need to do :D

cheers,

Nick

www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz

Hey dude nice to see you in another skyline forum.

thats sorta the reason i didn't bother going ahead with turboing my l28. not many ppl know much about doing it.

there is alot of frigging around to do and the gains are only marginal

that is why i am going the whole hog and converting to an rb20det

i would however say you are spot on with the water from the throttle body, just bypass it through the turbo and back where it was supposed to go

do any of you guys know how to tell the difference between the l28et and the l20et as i have an engine sitting there, but are not shaw what engine it is.(has a black rocket cover)? also if your looking for a turbo that may be ezyer to fit than i've got one whick will just bolt on.

easiest way to tell is on the head (sparkplug side) inbetween cylinder 2-3? there will be a number like: N42, P90, N47 etc

and to tell if its an L20 or L28 jus have a look on the block below cylinder 6 spark plug with be the engine code. they start with the block IE L28 009876 etc

black rocker covers usually means turbo, but can't be 100% sure

let us know what you have there

i am going to possibly be selling my L28E, Gearbox, Clutch, ECU and Loom complete soon

Does the rb20 turbo flange bolt straight up because a guy a work just bought a Prince skyline with a L20et conversion done on it but the turbo is shaged. It came with an extra injector and water injection controlled by an add on Microtech (sumthing) computer so the bigger turbo shouldn't be a problem.

The l28 turbo head is the P90. It has round ports.

ahh great replys :D, yes the turbo bolts right up, but you need athe Rb dumppipe and a water feed, i know this will be a major upgrade. since after a long run mine will only boost 1/2

also is there lowering kits for HR30's ?. :)

be carfull of the calipers, they wear easy :D, found out the hard way. been 2 days and i still havent got the car back lol damnit

i went with the king springs and konis adjustable shocks ordered them it only took 4 days to get there they also through in some whiteline sway bars front and rear all up 1800 fitted in a day.i'd recoment it to anyone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

hey guys

i have a prob with my L20ET........ it hits about 4500 rpm then cuts out, drops back to 4400 and repeats.... is it the plugs??? fuel pump?? anything else? sorry to be so vague but i need it fixed....... Also if anybody does the rb20 turbo swap, please post on here or pm me i am interested in it myself.

Thanks in advance

Dwayne

Check the rev limiter in the Wolf.

I have a L20ET sitting in the garage atm. I was going to fit it to the R30 hatch, but the A/C interferes with the proposed IC. It has a RB20DET BB cored turbo hanging off the side. I re-routed the water to the cold start valve (funny thing sitting right behind throttle body) to feed water to the turbo core.

I'll also be running it from a Wolf (3D), but in a R30 sedan.