SAU Community

Stagea Oil (type And Viscosity)?

sturb25

Hay guys, just had a query about what sort of oil u guys are running in your series 2 stagea or r34. Just need help on what viscosity u should be using in a turbo engine. Ive always used mobil one in the silver bottle 5w-50 on my vl rb25det, is this ok for my stagea. If theres any suggestions on what oil would be ok ur help would be appreciated

i made a post about this in the ACT forum i think, basically for an australian climate a 40 weight oil is what you want for around town use, either a 0w40 or 5w40 would be fine. certainly not those 10w60 oils, they are too thick for around town, the oil doesnt get hot enough unless your racing the engine. 5w50 is in the middle so it would be ok for a hot climate, but melbournes not that hot right....

i use 15/50

After extensive "research" I concluded that synthetic was the way to go and Amsoil was top of the pops but when I finally tracked some down it was going to cost $200 an oil change so i flagged that and am using Castrol Edge 5W- 30. No problems so far and am planning to change the filter every 10000 and keep the oil for 50,000 but i will keep an eye on it.

• 1 year later...

Old thread i know... but i've been using Motul 8100 x-cess 5/40, was thinking of getting the Mobil 1 5/30 for next oil change. About the same price. Would that be alright? Anyone using it? Or is 30 too thin for a 110,000km engine?

Nissan recommends a 7.5w/30 oil.

I have been using this one lately, ProSYN 730, http://www.synforce.com.au/synthetics.html, which is right on the specs, not that it really matters, but noticed my engine lifters are quieter using this one compared to the OW or 5W oils.

I found Fuchs 10w30 was the best for economey and kept the motor quiet and sounding smooth

Old thread i know... but i've been using Motul 8100 x-cess 5/40, was thinking of getting the Mobil 1 5/30 for next oil change. About the same price. Would that be alright? Anyone using it? Or is 30 too thin for a 110,000km engine?

I would try it out, i prefer a 10w30 in my 120k km motor, i used motul 10w40 this last service and the motor sounds harsh and the top end/head is louder.

i enquired about this fuchs stuff you talk or ryan... i am currently running castroll edge sport 5 30. Have been told putting fuchs in would be going backwards big time.

castrol edge sport 5/30 sounds good.

Ive kept to 5/30's and 10/40's, from Fuch, castrol edge, mobil 1, Pentrite's etc, currently using Martini Racing Oil and seems really good.

...... 10/60

"Martini Racing Oils - Sint 60 R/T

Competition, High Performance and heavy duty 10w60 SM motor oil suitable for most Turbo and non Turbo Road & Track engines.

Sint 60R/T is a high quality full synthetic 10w/60 racing lubricant specifically formulated to satisfy the demand for an outstanding product that will ensure maximum engine protection and performance. Sint 60R/T is suitable for the “race” engine that operates at the extreme end of competition for prolonged periods of time. Sint 60R/T is also suitable for high output, high performance road cars that require maximum performance and protection from a synthetic engine lubricant API SL-CF

Sint R/T Engine Oils meet or exceed the following specifications:

API SL, SM IIsac GF-3, ACEA A3-96, B3-96, Ford ESE-M2C - 153E "

..... also 5/50

"Martini Racing Oils - Sint 50 R/T

Competition, High Performance and heavy duty 5w50 SM motor oil suitable for most Turbo and non Turbo Road and Track engines

Sint 50R/T is a high quality 5w/50 full synthetic lubricant suited to the extended oil drain intervals offered by BMW and other leading engine manufacturers. It greatly reduces engine wear and friction while increasing fuel economy. Sint 50R/T meets the latest requirements for modern high technology performance engines and is formulated to be low viscosity at cold temperatures therefore providing greater protection during start up. It reaches maximum viscosity at high temperatures ensuring greater resistance to breakdown in harsh operating conditions. Superior Synthetic formulation guarantees maximum protection for high tech-high output, turbo and non turbo, petrol, L P gas and diesel engines. API SL-CG Islac GF-3

Sint R/T Engine Oils meet or exceed the following specifications:

API SL, SM IIsac GF-3, ACEA A3-96, B3-96, Ford ESE-M2C - 153E"

M4_Martini_Sint.pdf

i enquired about this fuchs stuff you talk or ryan... i am currently running castroll edge sport 5 30. Have been told putting fuchs in would be going backwards big time.

mmm the only mechanics i have had tell me to use castrol had castrol everywhere, where the ones that agreed with my fuchs choice over castrol used neither...

Well the owner of my local RB workshop uses a top line Motul (which makes Mobil1 look cheap) in his 10sec R32 and suggested my change from Castrol Edge 5W30 to 10W 60. I do a few track days and give it heaps on the road so it usually gets up to full operating temps.

I think any quality synthetic would be fine ... I would spend more time on tyre choices.

After extensive "research" I concluded that synthetic was the way to go and Amsoil was top of the pops but when I finally tracked some down it was going to cost $200 an oil change so i flagged that and am using Castrol Edge 5W- 30. No problems so far and am planning to change the filter every 10000 and keep the oil for 50,000 but i will keep an eye on it.

:D

Amsoil is "only" a Grade IV oil. It is good (I have used the 10w40), but it is only the best if you listen to their MLM hype.

If you want to get some, try HERE

I know they are in Melbourne, but I am sure they would ship it to you.

Well the owner of my local RB workshop uses a top line Motul (which makes Mobil1 look cheap) in his 10sec R32 and suggested my change from Castrol Edge 5W30 to 10W 60. I do a few track days and give it heaps on the road so it usually gets up to full operating temps.

I think any quality synthetic would be fine ... I would spend more time on tyre choices.

Dunno about the 10w60. I use the Motul 300v as well, but the 10w40 Chrono.

The car feels sooooo much better with it than with any of the other oils I have used.

HIGHLY recommended.... costly though :thumbsup:

I've been using the Nissan branded 'Special Blend'

which they recommend on their turbo vehicles.

From memory its 5/40 or 7.5/40.

Change it every 5000km, still quite clean and viscous at these intervals.