SAU Community

Hi all,Well finally the time has come to take my gtr33 to the workshop and have the gearbox pulled out and sent to Sydney for an upgrade to series 3 internals, have it returned, fit Jim Berry clutch,upgraded spigot bush/bearing and fork pivot boltand hopefully have a smooth fast changing gearbox for a long time to come.

My main question here is whether the clutch will remain a push or pull type when it is reinstalled after mods as I actually don't know what type a 95 gtr comes out with and how hard or possible it is to change operation type if it does change.I seem to remember Jim asking me when I chose his clutch, whether it was a push or pull mechanism and I didn't know so I hope he knew and made the clutch accordingly,or maybe it doesn't matter unless you change the bellhousing,any info would be much appreciated as it goes in tomorrow morning and I want to make sure all will be well,Thanks in advance Grey Pearl.

Hi all,Well finally the time has come to take my gtr33 to the workshop and have the gearbox pulled out and sent to Sydney for an upgrade to series 3 internals, have it returned, fit Jim Berry clutch,upgraded spigot bush/bearing and fork pivot boltand hopefully have a smooth fast changing gearbox for a long time to come.

My main question here is whether the clutch will remain a push or pull type when it is reinstalled after mods as I actually don't know what type a 95 gtr comes out with and how hard or possible it is to change operation type if it does change.I seem to remember Jim asking me when I chose his clutch, whether it was a push or pull mechanism and I didn't know so I hope he knew and made the clutch accordingly,or maybe it doesn't matter unless you change the bellhousing,any info would be much appreciated as it goes in tomorrow morning and I want to make sure all will be well,Thanks in advance Grey Pearl.

Anyone??

Hi

All R33 gtr are pull type clutch from factory, so unless you're going to an OS giken clutch which need a pull-push converter yours will stay a pull clutch. That said I've recently put an r33 gtr box with Trust 6 speed dogbox into my r32 gtr with push clutch also, so you can change the clutch setup between R32 and R33 boxes also. The series 3 boxes have upgraded sychros which should last a lot longer before failing.

I'm upgrading to a series 3 r33 gtr box in my r33 gtr right now but I'm going straight to a whole new gearbox, rather than repairing my 95 one. It is about the same to buy a new one with the better synchros ect already in place, and it's all new down to the case !

Hope your getting a good deal to rebuild as new box is $3000, still in the Nissan crate.

I seriously doubt having a box rebuilt to series 3 spec would be cheaper than a brand new series 3 and even if it cost a bit less it wouldn't be worth the saving because the reco box is still 50% an 18 year old box.
Thanx for your replies guys even though your comments came too late for me to save the cash I'm going to outlay as my car went to the workshop this morning.

I did all my calculations on the info that a new series 3 box was worth $3200 and I was getting mine recoed to that spec for around $1700, also I didn't know the implications of a series 3 box fitment to a 95 model, bellhousings push pull etc so went this way maybe to my detriment considering freight costs will be in the order of $400 as well just to get the right people to work on it.any more info on the finer points of fitting a series 3 to a 95 model would be interesting to me anyway and to others as well I'm sure.Cheers Guys Grey Pearl.

I seriously doubt having a box rebuilt to series 3 spec would be cheaper than a brand new series 3 and even if it cost a bit less it wouldn't be worth the saving because the reco box is still 50% an 18 year old box.

Grey Pearl

I recommended to someone else on another thread in this forum to check out RHD Japan as you can score a brand new OEM Nissan 5 speed R33 GTR gearbox for under $2100 delivered at the moment. Really good price considering Just Jap charge $3200 for the same box.

Grey Pearl

I recommended to someone else on another thread in this forum to check out RHD Japan as you can score a brand new OEM Nissan 5 speed R33 GTR gearbox for under $2100 delivered at the moment. Really good price considering Just Jap charge $3200 for the same box.

Thanx for that mate,but for the money I'm spending and since really my box is great except for lazy synchros which shit me, and a leaking seal which was the main reason for doing the job, most of the box except the case will be replaced,maybe only the countershaft,and some gears will be re-used but if I did it again I would do it the rhd way for sure and could have sold my old one complete for a good price,oh well my own fault for not asking the question sooner.Cheers for the info Grey Pearl.

Thanx for that mate,but for the money I'm spending and since really my box is great except for lazy synchros which shit me, and a leaking seal which was the main reason for doing the job, most of the box except the case will be replaced,maybe only the countershaft,and some gears will be re-used but if I did it again I would do it the rhd way for sure and could have sold my old one complete for a good price,oh well my own fault for not asking the question sooner.Cheers for the info Grey Pearl.

No worries Gey Pearl.

Edited by Big Zil