SAU Community

Post Broardwater Car Park Era

changi

hi All,

now that the BWCP has been effectively excluded as a Saturday Night meeting place for car enthuiastists, I guess an obvious question would be "where to now?".

I know that there are many and varied opinions of the value of large meet-ups like those that occurred at the BWCP, my opinion is that it was a valuable part of car culture here on the Gold Coast and the greater Brisbane area. contrary to certain 'crusading' councillors' beliefs that it was a Sat-Ni meeting place, exclusively for 'hoons, drug dealers and other undesiable elements of the community', during the 6 years that I regularly attended the BWCP, I saw very little of the lawless 'Hoons and Undesirables'. [those that did cause trouble were usually dealt with quickly by the lurking traffic cops]. I did see plenty of people enjoying their hobbie/passion/interest in cars etc.

as those that ever attended the BWCP 'meets' will know, thousands of car enthusiasts used this "public" area to meet-up, talk cars, show their car, view cars, listen to car audio, or just to pick up knowledge, tips etc. the last time I looked, Qld was still a 'free' State [not sure about NSW!!] and Queenslanders were still free to gather lawfully to pursue common interests in "public" places. I know that the BWCP area was up for redevelopment but what got under my skin was how certain councillors deliberately targeted car enthusiastists using this area, as public enemy number 1.

enough said on the subject, from me.

the purpose of this topic is to see if there is an alternative, legal place for a meeting of the type/size that used to occur at BWCP: in our little part of the world.

comments, for or against the above, will be read with interest!!!.

regards

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a huge car park at willowbank raceway and, get this. You can actually use your high performance car on the drag strip instead of standing around with your cock hangin out saying "look at me"

OR! You could join the latte set. The same bunch go to a coffee shop every friday night Then all stand around the same cars that were there last week and say excactly the same things. Hardcore I tellya. :thumbsup:

Maybe we could try the carpark meetup, but bring the daggiest oz-built trash we have. I could roll in with my somewhat shabby lookin XR8 ute, Noel you bring the Patrol etc...etc...

That way we can see if it's just the carpark is off limits or if it is Import targetting.

But really, I think the drags would be far more fun to hang at.

you could always try wello or viky point. its more out of the way than broadwater as far as been in the public eye i guess. not a bad spot just a though though. but yeah i got no idea where people are goin on sat nights at the moment would be good to find out though as im bored as hell and cant think what to do tonight. would rather cruise in my car than get shitfaced. altho..........

you could always try wello or viky point. its more out of the way than broadwater as far as been in the public eye i guess. not a bad spot just a though though. but yeah i got no idea where people are goin on sat nights at the moment would be good to find out though as im bored as hell and cant think what to do tonight. would rather cruise in my car than get shitfaced. altho..........

a few cars park along the road in front of BWCP to chat; but only on adhoc basis and they don't stay long. still plenty of cars cruising around on Sat nights though.

wensdays go drags... weekend join us for chai latte :P why would you want to meet at car park spots? with rice rockets floating around ....

wensdays go drags... weekend join us for chai latte ;) why would you want to meet at car park spots? with rice rockets floating around ....

Because the drags is actually a measure of something other than bullshit. :)

imho the drags carpark will never be a good substitute, its too far from bris and the gc to get a good regular turnout, too dark and nowhere to go to afterwards. part of the appeal was that it was a social event, as much for looking over other peoples cars as seeing how well they go.

we need somewhere close, maybe in one of the northern gc suburbs like helensvale or labrador?

anyone got any thoughts?

imho the drags carpark will never be a good substitute, its too far from bris and the gc to get a good regular turnout, too dark and nowhere to go to afterwards. part of the appeal was that it was a social event, as much for looking over other peoples cars as seeing how well they go.

we need somewhere close, maybe in one of the northern gc suburbs like helensvale or labrador?

anyone got any thoughts?

I agree with this; and the BWCP meets were not specific to any car enthusiast group [ie. draghead, driftheads, showheads, potential revhead] no matter what you were into there was usually somehting of interest there to look over. I reckon anywhere between Brizzy and the GC, close to the M1, plenty of space and lighting. pretty hard to find all these requirements!!. initially I thought Harbourtown carpark would be a good spot, but found it is private [not public] property. which means, as I understand it, that car clubs could be "moved on" by security/police. perhaps some forum member with the legal 'smarts' could comment on tis?.

Man i wish we had a dragstrip in cairns. I know all the cairns skyline boyos would stand around in the car park talking shit for about 10 mins then get stuck into some straight line stuff.

So unfair that i live up here sometimes.

wensdays go drags... weekend join us for chai latte ;) why would you want to meet at car park spots? with rice rockets floating around ....

I know there are plenty of carpark spaces at the drags; how many at the latte shop, will need 500 to 1000 spots???. you could buy a latte [of sorts] from the old guy who ran the food van at the BWCP anyway. people met at tha park to; talk, see, touch, all things cars, engines, wheels, sound systems etc. if, whilst doing all this car 'stuff', you wanted a simple cup of coffee, then the old food van usually rolled up!!.

Theres a huge car park at willowbank raceway and, get this. You can actually use your high performance car on the drag strip instead of standing around with your cock hangin out saying "look at me"

OR! You could join the latte set. The same bunch go to a coffee shop every friday night Then all stand around the same cars that were there last week and say excactly the same things. Hardcore I tellya. ;)

be nice!!. live and let live. now someone will post a new 'topic'... "Spotted"; [Cocks Hanging Out]!!.

The boys have a point, we should all lobby the government to open up another drag strip near the Gold Coast. Until then we will have to find another car park. Harbour town car park/Pacififc fair are big

I have not been to a car park meet for a LONG time. However I still remember that it was fun when everyone behave. Why should everyone be so bitter about this and make the younger generation miss out on a social activity? Hey I am sure everyone is happy to meet at Willowbank once in a while but who has the money to burn 2 hours of driving and $$$ of fuel every week.