SAU Community

R33 Problems..

Hi,

A mate of mine is having troubles with his R33.

As soon as it hits about 5500rpm it just stops accelerating and starts back firing. or if it doesnt back fire it just stops reving and stays @ 5500rpm...

We are certain that is not coil packs as we have had many coil pack issues before and this isnt the same.

The car had a Power FC, Z32 ADM and a 044.

The now has a Stock ECU, AFM and fuel pump.

Also today is the first time the car has been driven since August..

Any help appreciated!!

nah if its running fine up to 5500 rpm it wont be plugs or fuel, if it was either of those it would be coughing and spluttering right through the rev range,

but will need a few questions answered before being able to tell what it is causing it, is the afm still ok, have you swapped it with that of another car?

is the car running standard boost. if it had a z32 on it was the setup outflowing the standard afm? if so take the boost back down to standard.

R33, variable timed yes, is the solenoid still operational that lets oil flow to the lifters?????

the ecu alters fuel values when the system is activated by the rpm, flooding perhaps and detonating violently?

if so unplug the O2 sensors and leave them off for the time being as the ecu would be compensating for the richness,

also unplug the ecu temp sensor, this will force the ecu to go into normal operation as if the engine had warmed up.

is the base timing correct, assuming it was running a aftermarket ecu, afm, etc was this altered at all?

It seems to have lost alot of power throughout the hole power range. But hasnt lost any boost.

Also little puffs of black smoke seem to come out the rear so it couldnt be the fuel pump if its running rich??

Could it be the afm??

It seems to have lost alot of power throughout the hole power range. But hasnt lost any boost.

Also little puffs of black smoke seem to come out the rear so it couldnt be the fuel pump if its running rich??

Could it be the afm??

Almost a thread a week on this these days… *sigh*

Your running increased boost on the stock ECU. Its therefore having a fit/hernia/spaz etc etc.

Back off the boost, car will return to normal as its closer to factory. RB25 ECU's don’t like much over standard boost pressue in many instances

It is a constant problem at the 5500rpm mark? My car is having similar issues, but its temperamental. Some days it drives great, other days its terrible, and of course whenever I take it to the mechanic it decides to have a good day, or half-week as it were last time.

In any case, next time it plays up I'm driving it straight to him. I'll post here on what he finds.

I had similar issues, which turned out to be the knock sensor.

now i have a boost leak. i think. it's not in the piping, so gotta get the car on a dyno to find out where it's coming from