SAU Community

Skyline R33 Gts-t Hks Gt2835 Pro S Vs Sti

Hi guys,

As you may know, my skyline is currently pushing out 272.3 rwkw with the following mods:

HKS GT2835 Pro S

GReddy FMIC

Bosch 040 Fuel pump

nismo 555cc injetors

CAI with pod filter

3.5 inch Turbo back exhaust with split dump

splitfire coilpacks

Z32 AFM

Power FC

My brother just approached me this arvo saying he has a friend with an STi pulling out 190kw at all four wheels that wanted to race. I was thinking in my head, I should cream this guy, 190awkw converts to about 230rwkw (x1.2), right?

Then I went on a WRX forum, and I had a read at some quater mile times. Many of the STi owners with 180 - 190 awkw were doing high 11s down the 1/4mile strip.

I haven't taken my car down the strip yet, but I know from others GTS-T owners that have simular mods that I would run around mid 12s, in other words, I'd get my ass owned by an STi with around 190 awkw.

The funny thing is, these STi's only have a turbo back exhaust and wind up the boost with a reset ECU, that's crazy!

I've spent like $12,000 on my car so far for mid 12's?

Now don't get me wrong, I love my skyline to death, I would kill for it, but investing so much money into the car ($13,500 purchase price and $12,00 mods = $25,500), when I could've gotten a faster car for around the same price (Stock STi 2000 model- about $24,000).

What do you guys think, should I sell my car and buy a STi?? Because at this stage, the only thing more I can do with my car is invest big money for a little more power (i.e. forge internals & wind up boost, Cams etc etc) and I still wouldn't be able to beat the STi!!

It's driving me crazy!

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I know some of you will say, "why don't you buy a GTR?" Reason being is because they are more expensive to do up. I had a chat to my mechanic, and he told me that unless you got big $$$, not to get a GTR because they cost alot more to do up, not to mention that the purchase price of a stock one is like 27,000 for a good condition r33 GTR.

So, what do you guys think, should I sell my GTS-T R33 and get a STi??

Also, how much do you guys think that I'll get for my car, it's in near new condition?

Cheers

post-48356-1213509800_thumb.jpg post-48356-1213509914_thumb.jpg post-48356-1213509944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Turbz RB-25

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate, i just sold my STI to get GTR

STI to getting huge power output costs huge price

GTR is also 4WD(launching and cornering) and easy to make it output 300kw at wheel

STI is nice car but EJ20 has too many weaknesses to get huge output

it is quite stable driving coz AWD (all time 4WD)

EJ207(STI V8+) runs a GT2835/[email protected] to have 250-260kw at wheel is its maximum limit (run 19psi is stable and long life but probably only have 240kw or less)

If STI wants to get 300kw at wheel , you need choose 1 option from Full forged bottom to run high boost(23-25psi) or upgrade to EJ25 block

that two option still cost you huge price and can not solve lagging perfectly (you need apply rotate the stroker it cost huge too)

inline engine still has a lot advantage especially huge output modification :D

I trust GTR is your best choice to have huge power :P

Edited by shawn.szutu

mate, i just sold my STI to get GTR

STI to getting huge power output costs huge price

GTR is also 4WD(launching and cornering) and easy to make it output 300kw at wheel

STI is nice car but EJ20 has too many weaknesses to get huge output

it is quite stable driving coz AWD (all time 4WD)

EJ207(STI V8+) runs a GT2835 to have 250-260kw at wheel is its maximum limit (factory bottom v8 EJ207 run GT2835/TD06-20G @ 20-21psi)

If STI wants to get 300kw at wheel , you need choose 1 option from Full forged bottom to run high boost or upgrade to EJ25 block

that two option still cost you huge price and can not solve lagging perfectly (you need apply rotate the stroker it cost huge too)

inline engine still has a lot advantage especially huge output modification :D

I trust GTR is your best choice to have huge power :P

I don't want HUGE power. I only want to break into the low 11's on the qtr mile (i.e. 11.3 sec). With a GTS-T what will be very difficult and I'd have to spend big $$$. However, with an STi, you could do it relatively cheap, am I right?

Cheers

I don't want HUGE power. I only want to break into the low 11's on the qtr mile (i.e. 11.3 sec). With a GTS-T what will be very difficult and I'd have to spend big $$. However, with an STi, you could do it relatively cheap, am I right?

Cheers

STI with mid-tuned just like i said to run a GT2835 or TD06-20G @ factory bottom limit boost about 19-20.5psi

you can get more usable power than your GTS-t, that is true but 240-250kw is still hard to break into 11s ....

runing into 11s is probably need 300kw-350kw at wheel .... STI wont make it easy

and I also dont think you will save more money to modify a STI to run 11s and cheaper than modify a skyline

in fact your GTS-t waste to much power ouput coz it is rear drive car :P

STI,EVO,GTR is more efficient to output the power on the ground

i saw your real point

Many of the STi owners with 180 - 190 awkw were doing high 11s down the 1/4mile strip

belive me ... they are bullshiting :P

GC8 (MY00) STI 190awkw cant do 11s with full car interior

if they takes off full car interior maybe possbile to do 12s (factory GC8 STI MY00 only do 13.5++)

GDB STI Spec C/Spec C Type RA/S203/S204/RA-R factory only do 12.9-13.2s (driver is japanese professional racer in best motoring video)

a GC8 with 230-250awkw should be okay running into 11s

If you really want to transfer to STI, you better to choose MY01 STI or later (STI V7+)

The factory engine tolerance of GDB EJ207 is better than GC8 EJ207

GC8 MY00 EJ207 only can run boost about 19psi with factory bottom

GDB MY01+ EJ207 can run over 19-20.5psi with facotry bottom

I do belive GC8 STI must to get over 225awkw(300whp) may run into 11s tail evenif GC8 is quite light only 1250-1280kg

190awkw to run into 11s ??

they should be day dreaming :D

Edited by shawn.szutu

Do you think, since I've already put so much money into this car I should do the following:

1) Cams ($2000)

2) Forge internals ($6000)

3) Wind up boost to about 22 PSI (Currently at 17 PSI making 272rwkw)

4) Very thick tyres and wheels on the back

I think with that I should break past the 310 rwkw barrier and go into high 11's?

Theres more than just big power when it comes to drags...the rest of your setup is just as important...look into your suspension and tyres first...272rwkw is enough power witht the right setup...you can have 350rwkw and not break into the 12s even if you don't set up the car right...

Then learn to drive as well...

Theres more than just big power when it comes to drags...the rest of your setup is just as important...look into your suspension and tyres first...272rwkw is enough power witht the right setup...you can have 350rwkw and not break into the 12s even if you don't set up the car right...

Then learn to drive as well...

I really to feel threatened by the STi?

I already have a very good beilstien suspension setup in my car with good 235 bridgestone tyres.

Maybe the real question I need to ask is:

Sould I spend more $$ on my car (Forged internals and cams), or should I get a r33 GTR?

Would a GTR with the standard turbos, running say 15PSI, with a PFC, turbo back exhaust, injectors and fuel pump, beat my car from 60kmph onwards (i.e rolling start)

in fact, you will find a high power output FR is hard to drive it as well

your problem is not with power output, the real problem is GTS-t is rear drive car

change to 4WD(GTR) or STI may solve your true problem

depends on you more like GTR or STI :D

actually I like them both :)

but I face to my real desire is more power potential and also driving stable so I chose GTR

STI is good car but it is hard to getting power over 300kw, the price will be double up or triple up (full forge and EJ25 block need to apply cost huge)

but 300awkw is piece of cake to all GTR (32 33 34), we can say 300awkw is just a start to a GTR :D

32GTR is more economy if you accept its little poor interior :P

Edited by shawn.szutu

I really to feel threatened by the STi?

I already have a very good beilstien suspension setup in my car with good 235 bridgestone tyres.

Maybe the real question I need to ask is:

Sould I spend more $ on my car (Forged internals and cams), or should I get a r33 GTR?

Would a GTR with the standard turbos, running say 15PSI, with a PFC, turbo back exhaust, injectors and fuel pump, beat my car from 60kmph onwards (i.e rolling start)

it won't when you doing a rolling start to match with a factory GTR

factory [email protected] possible to have 240-260atkw same as you have, GTR wont bite you :D

in fact, the tail speed you may quicker than GTR coz your gts-t lighter than gtr about 100kg

but the true value of GTR is the pontitial of RB26 and ATTESA ET-S SYSTEM both

you will find your gts-s will be slower than GTR while weather or ground condition is bad

GTR stll can endure more power output until 300-400atkw as well, but apply same power to your gts-s

it will become a dangerous car, hard to drive, and also waste too much power on the ground(spin all the time)

to say goodbye to your old ride is quite hard ... coz you spent too much on it

just take a while to think about it, what you really want in the future?

still more power (it just likes drag, you are hard to pull yourself out) ---> choose GTR it wont let you down again

or enough power to drive ---> STI is nice and more comfortable than 32GTR 33GTR

then make decision with no hesitate

good luck mate :P

Edited by shawn.szutu

it won't when you doing a rolling start to match with a factory GTR

factory [email protected] possible to have 240-260atkw same as you have, GTR wont bite you :D

in fact, the tail speed you may quicker than GTR coz your gts-t lighter than gtr about 100kg

but the true value of GTR is the pontitial of RB26 and ATTESA ET-S SYSTEM both

you will find your gts-s will be slower than GTR while weather or ground condition is bad

GTR stll can endure more power output until 300-400atkw as well, but apply same power to your gts-s

it will become a dangerous car, hard to drive, and also waste too much power on the ground(spin all the time)

to say goodbye to your old ride is quite hard ... coz you spent too much on it

just take a while to think about it, what you want in the future ? then make decision with no hesitate

good luck mate :P

So you're saying that a GTR with the standard turbo's can be quicker then my car now?

So what will be better for money, I only want mid 11's, an STi or a GTR R33, which one can I modify cheaper to break into mid 11's?

So you're saying that a GTR with the standard turbo's can be quicker then my car now?

So what will be better for money, I only want mid 11's, an STi or a GTR R33, which one can I modify cheaper to break into mid 11's?

no, factory GTR with factory turbos only solve your problem, it is just draw with your ride

but when you have budget to change the turbos to GT-SS/T517Z/2860-5/R34 N1 (about $2000-$3000 without labour)

GTR will be truely far faster than your gts-t

coz your ride RB25DET run GT2835Pro is pretty quick now :P

R32/R33GTR wants to do mid 11s, after you modify the turbos, it should be :D (car expensive but modification cheap)

STI wants to do mid 11s, trust me .... it is not easy and cheaper than GTR maybe similar (car cheap but modification expensive)

Edited by shawn.szutu

no matter wot car u choose ur still gona end up spending big money to get the times u want

ive got a 285kwatw 33gtst and it run a 11.8 on mickey thompson drag radials

i also purchased a r33 gtr at the start of the year that makes 330awkw on 16psi and i have never looked back, much more solid car all round then the gtst and still feels realy safe and easy to drive unlike the gtst

no, factory GTR with factory turbos only solve your problem, it is just draw with your ride

but when you have budget to change the turbos to GT-SS/T517Z/2860-5/R34 N1 (about $2000-$3000 without labour)

GTR will be truely far faster than your gts-t

coz your ride RB25DET run GT2835Pro is pretty quick now :P

R32/R33GTR wants to do mid 11s, after you modify the turbos, it should be :D (car expensive but modification cheap)

STI wants to do mid 11s, trust me .... it is not easy and cheaper than GTR maybe similar (car cheap but modification expensive)

A person on this forum (he had an STi with a Power FC and a turbo back exhaust, NOTHING else) and he apparently did 12.5 seconds qtr mile, at standard boost! My car can't even do that now I don't think??

WIth the boost wound up on the STi He surely would'e broken into the high 11's, no?

If all you're concerned with is drag times, then ditch the Bilsteins and run stock suspension,

The higher ride height, and softer springs etc. mean you will have more weight transfer over to your rear wheels, and therefore more grip.

Get yourself a set of street drag radials like Mickey Thompsons or something, good clutch that can be slipped a bit aswell, and you might get into the 11s with your power...if you can drive...maybe

Dont buy a rex plealse, haha joking.

But seriously, i doubt that he can run an 11 with 190awkw. We've got a Mazda6 MPS, and some guys in the states have modded these and put out about 200-210awkw, and they run high 12s (1600kg car) (we've done 13.9 on my g-tech, with stock car, on a private section of road at a mates farm).

So less power and lighter car in the WRX means he might get a low 12 if hes a top driver, and doesnt break his gearbox.

Race the guy at a propper off street drag meet, win or lose it doesnt matter, you'll learn something either way. Just have a go, and if you loose then drive his car, if you like it buy a rex by all means, But its not EASY to get mid 11s out of anything.

edit: read post above....autos are for ppl who cant drive :P haha

Edited by Kranker