SAU Community

Favourite Photo Of Your Car!

J - Rad

Different people have different opinions - I don't see it's any reason to get upset or start slinging insults around.

Some people don't see a point in the 'stance' or 'big camber' movement, whilst others love it. At the end of the day, it's just a thing of personal taste - though I can see how Dohmar's reply could be seen as a criticism or personal attack.

Pic shown was clearly on a public road. One would assume that the car is a street car, setup for that whole bosuzoku camber-as-f**k scene. Which has nothin to do with performance. If you had a pic of that car with that camber on a track, I wouldn't be asking questions as I can appreciate camber on a track car, but in all the professional racing (ie not drift) they have sensible camber - one where it maximises the contact patch, not deliberately making the camber so negative that it reduces the lateral grip.

So yes, *Excessive* camber is dumb. Maybe ya'll got a different definition what is excessive but from my narrow minded opinion, cars were meant to grip around corners (I do admire drift dont get me wrong but its an entirely different train of philosophy to 3/4's of car events - that being grip is good, slip is bad). Practical camber? You want it for a road vehucle, a drift vehicle, a time attack vehicle or a drag car? Apples aint apples. And yeah from that pic, it looks totally over the top... not having a dig at your setup if it is a proper drift car but

Nice to see Weezy is still a spineless stooge who runs 0 camber... as per last time :)

-D

EDIT - And yes, I was a tad undiplomatic - thats a dope photo no doubt about it, I just ask myself WTF when I see that much camber on a street car

sorry,

but in all the professional racing (ie not drift) they have sensible camber - one where it maximises the contact patch, not deliberately making the camber so negative that it reduces the lateral grip.

i'm sorry, but i think you've got your wires crossed, generally what limits negative camber, is braking, not lateral grip. for example v8 supercars run -5.5 camber, if this falls within your definition of sensible camber, then mine must almost fall under the same category. only a few years back a few teams were experimenting with -7, but had issues with braking, generally anything after -6 your braking performance begins to fall off, up to that you're generally only helping your times by increasing lateral grip, obviously there are other factors to consider, different tyres and suspension types, but i'm not going to get into that. drifting we require front grip, however our geometry is flipped on itself as we carry through a corner with opposite lock, and due to the amounts of steering angle compared to that of a car under grip conditions, the static camber has less of an effect due to the caster angle and SAI's effect on dynamic camber, and the fact that static camber has less and less of an effect the more steering angle there is.

2ndly, not sure how a car being driven on the street automatically leads to the assumption that it never gets driven on the track :S

sorry,

i'm sorry, but i think you've got your wires crossed, generally what limits negative camber, is braking, not lateral grip. for example v8 supercars run -5.5 camber, if this falls within your definition of sensible camber, then mine must almost fall under the same category. only a few years back a few teams were experimenting with -7, but had issues with braking, generally anything after -6 your braking performance begins to fall off, up to that you're generally only helping your times by increasing lateral grip, obviously there are other factors to consider, different tyres and suspension types, but i'm not going to get into that. drifting we require front grip, however our geometry is flipped on itself as we carry through a corner with opposite lock, and due to the amounts of steering angle compared to that of a car under grip conditions, the static camber has less of an effect due to the caster angle and SAI's effect on dynamic camber, and the fact that static camber has less and less of an effect the more steering angle there is.

2ndly, not sure how a car being driven on the street automatically leads to the assumption that it never gets driven on the track :S

I live in adelaide. My bad. Cops ever saw that camber here in adelaide you'd be having some srs difficulties. You'd probably know this already

Also, ur pic makes it look like ur running 10+ degrees, Its nice that you fill out those camber details for us novices to take in, cause now I've learned something and have something to compare it against. My knowledge is all from grippage and not drift, so my apologies for being off the mark - what you posted is excellent.

End is, I dont think that theres any circumstance that I would run that much camber. Me not being a drifter and that.

And as to my first post - yes - as JRM said, it was cosmetic - it just looks dumb IMHO (unless you're the 0.05% population that is well versed in the lore of drift)

-D

we'll have to agree to disagree, if i had a time attack car where i found the optimal setting was -6 degrees camber, i'd happily run that on the street, even if some people thought it looked silly, at the end of the day, what's a little tyre wear on the street compared to improved lap times out on the track?

we'll have to agree to disagree, if i had a time attack car where i found the optimal setting was -6 degrees camber, i'd happily run that on the street, even if some people thought it looked silly, at the end of the day, what's a little tyre wear on the street compared to improved lap times out on the track?

Guess that all depends if you're a racer or just a dude who drives it as a daily

-D

Guess that all depends if you're a racer or just a dude who drives it as a daily

-D

You love arguing on the interwebz don't you lol.

Oh to have as much spare time on my hands as you do

• 2 weeks later...

What was the event run like, how many runs did you do, did you get to line up against whoever you wanted/or was it more structured? I might have to take the V35 whale out next time and see if I can crack a 13.XX :)

It was run ok imo, the only hold ups were when a few cars leaked fluid on the start line. I got 8 runs in from 10am till 6pm with a fair few breaks between, i think that was reasonable considering there were 160 cars registered. Would of been nice to have the line up more arranged,we got in line and didnt know who we were up against until we got to the front, you could try count but some cars would pull out or be tow cars, 'Jap Star' and I were 1 car apart a few times. Drag day on the cards for SAU ;)

The 12.3 was with Yokohama semis on 15psi, launched at 3-3500 with no spin. Also made a 12.6 with Dunlop street tyres at 3000rpm with minor spin in 1st and 2nd. Dropping the psi and doing a decent skid helped reduce wheel spin massivly on the street tyres.

The 12.3 was with Yokohama semis on 15psi, launched at 3-3500 with no spin. Also made a 12.6 with Dunlop street tyres at 3000rpm with minor spin in 1st and 2nd. Dropping the psi and doing a decent skid helped reduce wheel spin massivly on the street tyres.

great time bud excellent for stick infact what power u running?

1.9 is really good bud with a manual, it sounds funny but the 60 is the hardest part 1.7 in a manual is going to take alot of mechanical abuse if it hooks up lol good fun trying tho 1.7 would take u to a 11.94 , may need same launch but just a few more horses to get u there

some blokes in autos cant make a sub 2.0 60 so u done real well

Edited by JETURBO