SAU Community

Kahlis Birthday Cruise 5th Of July

Lil Miss 32

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah Tom i like photography so much i bought an 100% automatic camera :P takes good pics but it has like 32 different modes that can tweak the F stop and other things but its all trial and error

i really love this pic what was the settings does yours have automatic mode or your set it up manually

P1100506.jpg

i beleve thats ME! :P haha i gave you the thumbs up when you were taking these but ya cant see us at all in the car lol.

Just a quick lesson on photography for everyone.

Hey Tom, I noticed you didn't manually adjust your white balance on the longer exposure shots (which probably isn't really an issue on night shots) but your ISO and large aperture seem fairly constant at 100 & f3.6. Do you always manually use those settings with low values for night shots when using long exposures........the pic of Luke's (Heslo) car looks so sharp. If so, in what scenarios at night with longer exposures would you close the aperture & increase the sensitivty..........I'm guessing you wouldn' get that sharp look if you closed the aperture & upped the sensitivity anymore?

Pete, rarely do I up the ISO in my camera, as anything above 100 gives huge amounts of noise (its a problem with my model). White balance is beyond me, so I leave it as is.

I don't always use full manual mode, if I want a specific feature in my photo (such as streaked lights or blurred background) I will generally use either aperture priority or shutter priority, depending on what I want. It automatically selects a suitable value for the aperture/shutter (for which ever you are not setting yourself).

But In shutter priority the exposure time is limited to 8 seconds, and only in manual mode can I extend this to a maximum of 60 seconds. I mainly used a wide open aperture to allow more light in, giving me the ability to use a shorter (although still long) exposure time, which I really only do to make it easier to move from car to car and reduce the possibility of me bumping the camera or the tripod slightly moving.

If I were to close the aperture and increase the sensitivity, I could shoot the same exposure, but with the benefit of a closed aperture (longer depth of field). For example, if I want a night shot looking over a highway or city, and I wanted everything in focus, as far as I could see, I'd set a high aperture value (smaller hole). Doing so would under expose the image, so you either increase the ISO or leave the shutter open for long.

So really, the ISO is just a backup if you want to do something that gives an under exposed image, but you don't want to sacrifice shutter sped or aperture.

Hope this help, I kind of dribbled on a bit, photography can be hard to explain.

Tom.

Just a quick notice, I am going away until thursday so this will probably be my last post until then. Any questions or PM's will be answered when I return.

Thanks for all the positive feedback though, makes it all feel so much more worth it.

Tom.

yeah that helps heaps Tom, I reckon I'll lay off the experimenting with the ISO and make sure I get the aperture & shutter right for night shots and maybe up the ISO to 200 or 400 for day shots with the faster shutters.

Don't know if you have much experience with the canon stuff but I've been looking at upgrading my 350D to the 450D........can you justify the extra $$ for the 40D or even the 5D or would the 450D for the $$ suffice. Don't tell me to look at Nikon because I have a stack of Canon lenses that cost me a fortune!! :P

EDIT: Just read your last post, might have to wait for an answer when you get back.

Well, its morning and I'm about to leave, thought I'd check as I saw you reading this topic last night.

Don't know a lot about Canon, but I know that the 450D is really just a later, refined model of the 350D. Sure, its going to be better and all...but you're still going to be sitting inside that amateur circle. The 40D and or 5D take things outside that circle and into the pro field.

www.dpreview.com offer some pretty good reviews and www.pbase.com/cameras is a great resource for user reviews and photos of all cameras.

I can only suggest doing a lot of research and testing before spending any money. I learned this the hard way.

I'll have a closer lkook at the 40D and 5D when I get home.

Tom.

I'll have a closer lkook at the 40D and 5D when I get home.

Tom.

yeah thanks Tom I appreciate that....like I said, if I can justify spending the extra cash I will, cheers mate.

wow steve, now you can see why I'm leaning towards one of those cameras.....I wonder if with the correct settings a 350D or 450D would come close?

I might have a very low milage Canon 350D with wide angle lens for sale if I do upgrade.....I'll wait till Tom gets back and look into the pros & cons of the dearer cameras.

Its not hard to learn basics with a DSLR steve

what about the donuts, did every1 enjoy them?????

They wanted them so much some of my friends opened my car up and started opening and eating the donuts without my permission but it was all good everyone decided to have some donuts walked giving them to people. There were 70 donuts that got chewed away into peoples stomachs hahaa..

They wanted them so much some of my friends opened my car up and started opening and eating the donuts without my permission but it was all good everyone decided to have some donuts walked giving them to people. There were 70 donuts that got chewed away into peoples stomachs hahaa..

Donuts?

Where was mine? :(

;)

I'm back, still gotta organise some stuff and might go RC drifting tonight, but I'll start reading today.

Just a quick word, Steve those photos of the Liberty are actually (I believe) a combination of at least 3 photos...per photo. Its called HDR (High Dynamic Range or something). You get an underexposed shot, an over exposed, and a perfect exposed, and combine them. The result is a shot with everything right (no bright bit or no dull bits). They look cool though.

Unless...they may have used a long exposure and shone a light over the car (someone probably saw me try this over the black GTR's engine bay with my iPod). Either way, pretty cool.

EDIT: Just read a quick comparison, it seems the 5D has a better image quality and has 3MP more over the 40D. The 40D does have a built in flash but the 5D does, both have hot-shoes so you can put a flash in. They look and feel very much the same, though I think the 40D has a slightly larger LCD screen and 2nd screen shows the ISO at all times - can be handy.

Really the 5D seems the better for image quality and the important things, but the 40D has the 'bells and whistles'...which actually do make things a little bit easier.

Click here for a direct comparison. Some people are suggesting waiting for the next model (either 5DII or 7D) as the 5D is now close to 3 years old. Though the best way is to go into the camera shop, hold both, use them, have a look through the menu's, and talk to the shop assistant about the pro's and con's or each camera.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Thomasino