SAU Community

Qr Top Gear Sprints Sat 28th June

Amec

We finished 1st in class last time, lets hope the tradition continues :)

hoping to have a 4.3 ratio 2 way diff installed by the day, just waiting on a tailshaft to be made up so it can be fitted.

Racing starts from 12:30pm, and its FREE to come and watch.

I may get out there to watch my mate Simon in his Sil80 which is 25 powered. Starting to get the times down to the 57s now which isn't bad for a streeter.

I would say thats very good for a streeter :thumbsup:

Just thought I would share some of the things I have experimented with while installing the new 4.3 ratio diff.

The diff itself is a Cusco 2 way clutch type LSD diff (thanks UAS) from an R32 GTR. This should greatly improve acceleration and pulling out of the corners.

In order to fit the diff, I had to ditch my 300ZX TT rear subframe and swap in an NA subframe, due to the GTR diff not being able to be bolted straight up to the TT subframe. Normally, where the subframe mounts onto the bottom of the body, there is about a 5mm gap between the subframe and the body. I have ground down the tops of the subframe bushes so that the subframe sits flush with the body.

This will lower the ride height 5mm, therefore lower the centre of gravity = better handling. This will also make the connection between the body and the subframe more solid = better handling.

Both the new diff and the subframe are lighter than the TT versions so this adds to weight saving goals.

Will have pics soon also showing the new TuneAgent adjustable sway bar link pins.

The proof is in the pudding though and will find out next saturday at QR whether PB will be broken with the new setup.

I may get out there to watch my mate Simon in his Sil80 which is 25 powered. Starting to get the times down to the 57s now which isn't bad for a streeter.

Unfortunately Geoff i have to work on Saturday, so i won't be there. But thanks for the wrap! There's more left in it with the current set-up, i was held up on that 2nd lap you saw on the you tube video by the little Starlet- i almost think i can dip into the 56's on semi's....if i get everything right that is :)

Needs new tyres as well now :)

funny thing is, the competition is just about the same as Sat afternoon sprints, but less cars. so you get more runs in, and less time between runs ;)

we will also be making a video of our AMEC race car, will have 4 cameras posted around the track and 1 in car camera. once edited I will post the vid up :D

I was going to be out there but have the in laws coming so not sure if I can make it now :)

was hoping to see a good turn out

I was there last friday night for the drifts and saw some good driving but hard to get good photos in the dark lol

funny thing is, the competition is just about the same as Sat afternoon sprints, but less cars. so you get more runs in, and less time between runs :P

we will also be making a video of our AMEC race car, will have 4 cameras posted around the track and 1 in car camera. once edited I will post the vid up :O

interested to see how it goes and how quick the fields are.

hopefully its a good day.

I assume top gear is always National?

michael

michael

nope still on sprint circuit.

I agree, that is getting quick.

Soon to have one of your units in it Paul, so the times should tumble :D

Would be interesting to have a go on the national circuit

Edited by Simonster

well unfortunately it wasnt our day today.

the new diff has turned the car into an animal. acceleration is now another level of awesome if it wasnt already before. the car has so much potential now, we were very disappointed it wasnt able to be realised today. the car will really kick ass once I learn how to drive it.

we only managed a warm up lap and a half, a couple of 720s, and a flat spotted tyre from a brake lock up. after that, the new diff started going "clunk clunk clunk".

so we pulled off the tyres and let the car rest for a while and pulled out of the event, only to find that the clunk disappeared next time I drove the car!! weird.

taking no risks I got the car towed back to the shop. the diff is now out of the car, ready to send back to the diff shop to repair it in time for morgan park supersprints next weekend.

michael

You would own 90% of them Mik. I left feeling a little disapointed. Apart from a few tuff cars most of the field is made up of shitbox n/a 4 bangers that wouldnt pull the skin off a rice custard.

There are far better cars to see and run against at Paul's time attack dayz.

I thought the TopGear days are a step up from the Wed/Sat sprints days? Is it all prety much the same cars? Same story with too many cars on the track?

Top Gear sprints have LESS cars than SAS. Thats why I am doing it this year, less waiting around between runs. Didnt get many runs in yesterday though :(

I will be back doing Morgan Park Supersprints in Warwick next weekend.