SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

The key to the correct oil viscosity depends on mostly the above 2 conditions. There is no one size fit all oil.

Trex101, thanks for your help, I'm still learning about things such as oil so I didn't know what you needed to understand about the car for a response.

Your post makes sense, I'll have a look around and I might try out Mobil 1 first as it seems to have quite a good reputation.

Although another question, if Mobil Delvac 1 and the normal Mobil 1 0w40 were the same price, which one would you recommend for a GTR?

Regards,

Gareth

Trex101, thanks for your help, I'm still learning about things such as oil so I didn't know what you needed to understand about the car for a response.

Your post makes sense, I'll have a look around and I might try out Mobil 1 first as it seems to have quite a good reputation.

Although another question, if Mobil Delvac 1 and the normal Mobil 1 0w40 were the same price, which one would you recommend for a GTR?

Regards,

Gareth

If you can find Delvac that would be good.

There is nothing wrong with M1.

Regards,

Gareth

That's a hard choice. First, I would choose the cheaper of the 2, but if both are the same price, personally i would choose M1 0w40.

Delvac 1 though very well build couple with good base stock & additives pack, it still a dual rate oil (petrol/diesel API SL/CI-4+), this limits the friction modifier in the oil thus may affect FC and throttle responses. That’s why I’m slightly biases against D1 but it is still my first choice for 4-stroke bike though.

Hey guys,

Ive heard alot about these Penrite SIN oils, theyre meant to perform very well and im thinking of trying it next oil change..

Anyone running these oils? What would be be recommended for a r34 gtt around 60 thoukms' ... they have 15W-40 and 0w-50 in the brand?

thnx

Hey guys,

Ive heard alot about these Penrite SIN oils, theyre meant to perform very well and im thinking of trying it next oil change..

Anyone running these oils? What would be be recommended for a r34 gtt around 60 thoukms' ... they have 15W-40 and 0w-50 in the brand?

thnx

eeeeeee....... Pentrite sin and rb's should never be used in the same sentance.

Edited by URAS

i just put royal purple 10w40 in on the weekend, can't say i've noticed much difference (but i also upped the boost a little bit at the same time...)

but i rest easier knowing its got good blood in it.

**Also, anyone who is on the gold coast - tell autobarn to start keeping this on hand, cos I had to pay 8 freight when i had them order it in for me (sleazey c*nts) and then they say "hmm haha, we should keep this on stock, you're like the 10th person to order it haha" that's when i jumped the counter and smashed his head into the til, grabbed the cash, my oil (of course) and a little smelly pine tree for the road and then peeled the hell outa there! Or that's how i remember it anyway....

actually maybe we should ask them to stock redline while we're at it?

Im changing oil soon. I got now 5w - 30 Castrol Edge Sport.

Should I stick with it, its 48 bucks.

Or should I go for 0w - 40 Castrol Edge Sport which is 74.50 bucks.\

Car is stock with turbo back exhaust.

guys i think youve mistaken penrite mineral oils.... theyre pretty average i know... but check out thier SIN (synthetic) oils, rated very highly in recent testing.

Have a read of street commodores mag no. 108, they have tested the 18 top oils on the market through various tests. Out of them Royal Purple and Penrite SIN oils performed the best... funny to see the Mobil 1, Motul, Redline, and Castrol Performance synthetic oils performing so bad...

So just before you guys bag the penrite have a read its very interesting :D

guys i think youve mistaken penrite mineral oils.... theyre pretty average i know... but check out thier SIN (synthetic) oils, rated very highly in recent testing.

Have a read of street commodores mag no. 108, they have tested the 18 top oils on the market through various tests. Out of them Royal Purple and Penrite SIN oils performed the best... funny to see the Mobil 1, Motul, Redline, and Castrol Performance synthetic oils performing so bad...

So just before you guys bag the penrite have a read its very interesting :D

The StreetCommodores editor has admitted that the test is flawed & not representative of actual engine condition in one of their articles. Street Commodores did indeed print a retraction and apology to its readers.

This simple Timken test is only good for grease then actual oil performance.

http://www.streetforce.com.au/news/01_oils_aint_oils.php

Edited by Trex101

The StreetCommodores editor has admitted that the test is flawed & not representative of actual engine condition in one of their articles. Street Commodores did indeed print a retraction and apology to its readers.

This simple Timken test is only good for grease then actual oil performance.

http://www.streetforce.com.au/news/01_oils_aint_oils.php

Ah right, woops i didnt know that lol. Well then id still like to know someone who uses PENRITE SIN OILS! 15-40 theyre roughly ~$66 Castrol Edge 10-30 ~$45

Im kinda stuck with which to go with? Like would the benefits be that noticable? OR is thier anything else in this price range 66 is getting a bit high for me....

Ah right, woops i didnt know that lol. Well then id still like to know someone who uses PENRITE SIN OILS! 15-40 theyre roughly ~$66 Castrol Edge 10-30 ~$45

Im kinda stuck with which to go with? Like would the benefits be that noticable? OR is thier anything else in this price range 66 is getting a bit high for me....

I've got Penrite SIN in my beast, the 15w

i used to run HPR30 in my RB30, its made for it, and they love it, so i thaught this was a fair compromise for my rebuilt 25/30 and the car seems to love it, i fully flushed my old oil (with a little bit of kero, then run clean from cheap oil, and left to drip dry for an hour or so) it seems to love this oil, smoothest its ever been (tried a fair few oils, though never royal purple or Mobil 1) way more rev happy, really smoothed out the poor rb30 bottom's top end revs (5.5-6k+)

and it seems to love a tassie cold start, no more noisy lumping, quiet and smooth, but then i have had no decent synthetics to compare against

Ive been using penrite HPR 10 in mine and oil pressure is great and car seems to love it. It meets API standards and yeah but I know mobil 1 is better and i'll be using it next.

Edited by LatinR33

go for royal purple.

what? its shit..... dont tell me you read the street commodores oil test........ what a sham that was. using a grease tester to test oils.... hello.

Mobil 1

Motul 300v

or Redline 10w-40 are the only oils i will use, after 12 years playing with imports i can tell you i will never ever use castrol (any, as there shelf oils are not what goes in race cars) pentrite sin (turns to water to quickly when pushed hard) or royal purple as it is just like every other plain jane oil.

Edited by URAS

Dont' rule out the German Castrol Trent :D (not available here, so you're still correct to an extent :P)

probably rubbish, i'm running 0w40 in my R34. Unless you're doing some SERIOUS track work, pressue will be fine

Hows the oil pressure on the mobil 1 5w50?? Ive been told with mobil the oil pressure can be a lil low when can gets hot?? or is this just rubbish!!!!!

Pressure is directly proportion to viscosity, the thicker it is the higher is the pressure. This also mean higher pressure will have lower flow rate. You need both flow rate and pressure to fully optimize the operation of the oil system. IMO 50wt oil is just too thick for most application except racing or autocross....