SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

this is my opinion and most of you think it's bias but it's the TRUTH

1953 – Motul produced the World’s first Multigrade Oil.

1966 - Motul produced the World’s first Semi Synthetic oil

1971 – Motul produced the World’s first 100% Synthetic oil with Ester.

2004 – Motul produced the World’s first Double Ester Technology – 300V Engine Oils

we make the biggest range of 100% synthetic oils in the world

we do not make any group 3 or lower grade oils

we also produced the worlds first turbo specific oil

oil technology has gone a LONG way since some turbo manufactures actually extended turbo warranty if you use motul

there are some facts up to you to decide what is best for your car and application :)

hey i got a '96 33gtst wit mild mods.. wit around 260hp at rear wheels...and i got about 110,000k's on the clock,,,

so i was thinking of switch to full synthetic oils...

im using penrite 10-50 rit now...

so would oil would be a good change ova wit.

castrol edge 5-30 or motul 4100 turbolight is what ive bein looking at..

oh plus...

do i gota do an engine flush?

or can i put the oil straight in, without running into problems?

Just re-read the first page, the Motul 4100 is listed as a group II, motul 8100 is rated well, no idea about 4100.

Castrol Edge isn't the best oil, see the first page again, but high group levels are better....

Try this in google:

site:bobistheoilguy.com motul 4100

Unfortunately the website is down but when it's up you will get very technical discussions on the different oil types.

I've never done engine flushes, most of what I read say's don't do it, some say do it with a cheapish oil, just drain your existing oil completely and replace and you should be fine, along with the filter...

so before i heada out and buy the V300, i would like to ask if my engine was using 10w50 , is it safe to change it to 10w40 V300?

ive read post saying dont use full or semi to run your engine in? does that means when your engine is freshly rebuilt

as for the gear box (its whining) -Redline lightweight shockproof 75w90?

what for the diff ? (it whins too) - ????????

• 2 weeks later...

Just changed mine to Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40, car seems to be a bit more responsive (though I also went from heat range 6 plugs back to 7), couldn't manage to get any Martini oil from the useless distributor here, so I'll be sticking with the Motul.

For the front page; Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 are group 4 base with about 20% group 5 according to DougH (this guy knows his stuff) Ref: http://www.renntech.org/forums/lofiversion...php/t18023.html

I've also updated my oil spec page - finally found some Motul stats. Looks like Redline is better high temp shear, but also a bit thicker

http://www.jaftan.com.au/skyline/engine/oilspecs.html

Wow what a massive read this has been. Definitely a bit wiser now ( probably cos 2hours has passed :) ). I still have a question though as i feel unsure about my situation.

i just bought a 99 stagea rs4-s neo6 with 14x,xxx on the clock. The previous owner said they use castrol edge (unsure of weight). They said it was changed 2 weeks ago but it smells "fuelly". I am going to do a oil change this weekend regardless of his last one.

I would like to go with the Motul 8100 5w40 that has been recommended. The car will be daily driven 150+ k's a day, and with some lead footing here and there too :P . I will be changing the oil/filter every 5000, and will get the nissan oem oil filter. I don't have the budget for the expensive oils, and i guess just want confirmation that the Motul 8100 is correct.

Many thanks for all your help

Jez

Motul 8100 is a good oil, I'd say changing every 5K is unnecessary but its your choice, especially if your driving 150km/day.

There was a member on here called Chucky that was changing every 20K with high km/s, 10K should is ok for most people...

Wow what a massive read this has been. Definitely a bit wiser now ( probably cos 2hours has passed :yes: ). I still have a question though as i feel unsure about my situation.

i just bought a 99 stagea rs4-s neo6 with 14x,xxx on the clock. The previous owner said they use castrol edge (unsure of weight). They said it was changed 2 weeks ago but it smells "fuelly". I am going to do a oil change this weekend regardless of his last one.

I would like to go with the Motul 8100 5w40 that has been recommended. The car will be daily driven 150+ k's a day, and with some lead footing here and there too :cool: . I will be changing the oil/filter every 5000, and will get the nissan oem oil filter. I don't have the budget for the expensive oils, and i guess just want confirmation that the Motul 8100 is correct.

Many thanks for all your help

Jez

I drive about the same distance, hills, 100, 80, 60 & 40kph zones, have just cleared 140,000km's.

Used Motul 8100 about 30,000km's ago. Car did not feel right. When I used the Motul engine flush at time of change (which I had done before putting the 8100 in, there was a smelly, burned "mass" of oil that came out.

I switched to Chrono 300V which has been MUCH better than the other oils I have tried (Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil 1, Amsoil - 10W40, Penrite Sin - WAAAY too thick, Castrol Edge)

I change oil and filter every 10,000km's.

You shouldn't have to change oil every 5000km's for your daily unless you are doing a bit of circuit work as well.

I also use Amsoil or K&N oil filters.

Thanks for both the replies !! hmm maybe i should of spent the extra $15 and got the 300v.. they charged $74.95 for the 8100 at repco nerang. 455holes

10k oil/filter service sounds good to me thats for sure.

So far i have picked up (going from tired castrol edge to new motul 8100) that the turbo defintely and i mean DEFINITELY spools up quicker/and possibly slightly earlier.

I also have a 480ml bottle of ROIL gold given to me.. Do you guys recommend adding some of it to the Motul 8100 ?

Thanks for the help

Jez

Edited by Jezboosted

i got recommended castrol edge...havent used it yet jus cos i got my 34 bout a week ago.....but motul 4100 turbo light has cum up many times then the edge...

Depends, Turbolight is a semi-synthetic oil.

Having said that, I found it better than the Motul 8100, though no where near as good as the Amsoil, let alone the Motul 300V.

hey guys i have a 33 auto turbo. going to do an oil change tomorrow. ill b using motul oil in the engine. 8100, 4100 turbo light, or 300v. im going to use the 300v though.

im more interested in the trans fluid and diff fluids. what do you guys reckon will be the best?? remembering its an auto and i will either want to use genuine nissan oil or fully sinthetic oils in the g/box and diff. any suggestions??

cheers

Edited by 510ONE

TURBOLIGHT IS A FULLY SYNTHETIC in API standards

we are not aloud to call it a fully syn, only because they go under acea (euro) specs there for it's called a technosynthese .......... applying semi synthetic because it's not 100%

:D hope that clears it up

Depends, Turbolight is a semi-synthetic oil.

Having said that, I found it better than the Motul 8100, though no where near as good as the Amsoil, let alone the Motul 300V.

motul atf 1 a (dexron 3) 100% synthetic ------ auto gearbox

motul ff lsd 75w90 for the diff -------- you should notice the diff tighten up when changing to this oil :D

hey guys i have a 33 auto turbo. going to do an oil change tomorrow. ill b using motul oil in the engine. 8100, 4100 turbo light, or 300v. im going to use the 300v though.

im more interested in the trans fluid and diff fluids. what do you guys reckon will be the best?? remembering its an auto and i will either want to use genuine nissan oil or fully sinthetic oils in the g/box and diff. any suggestions??

cheers