SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

U trolling? Or have you only read one or two pages?

To the dismay of the performance community sougi was canned. Birds was a seller and thus has a supply left (possibly, it all gone yet mate?).

Anyways, it was the best (top quality for bottom price), but sadly is gone. Strongly recommend the motul 8100 xcess (and the new 10w40 one), and royal purple.

Yes it's technically impossible to buy in shops unless the shop still has some in stock. GW stopped making it, so it may not be an oil you want to "switch to", but if you want to give it a shot, I can get you it for $65 a bottle. Only a few bottles left that I'm willing to sell off...the rest I'm stashing. Buy up on the M5000 though, it's just as good

and nearly half the price :)

Yep, a mix of grades 3 and 5, with a bunch of healthy detergents for the engine

so why are you guys talking it up so much when there are full synths readily available, like motul for under $80?

Edited by Munkyb0y

Pipster, how does Syn-X compare with M5000, S6000, Motul or the other oils you've used in the past?

Seems pretty good, not quite as good and it won't be in for as long (5000 km changes I think) but great for the price. I think I'm on about 3000 kms now and it's not as noisy as nulon was

so why are you guys talking it up so much when there are full synths readily available, like motul for under $80?

most the syns you can buy off the shelf are only group 3 or 4 at best, m5000 may be only semi-syn but the syn part is group 5 like the $120 motul stuff

You can get motul 8100 xcess for $59 at some places which is a fully synthetic grade 4 oil, I've been telling people to use it for years but some how it got lost in this thread and everyone started group wanking over sougi and other oils which tbh I don't think are as good value.

Grade 3 fully synthetic oils are light years ahead of what was available when our engines were built and will provide ample protection even in a highly strung engine.

Seems pretty good, not quite as good and it won't be in for as long (5000 km changes I think) but great for the price. I think I'm on about 3000 kms now and it's not as noisy as nulon was

Just out of curiosity how are you judging it as 'not quite as good' eg what metrics are you using to compare them?

Edited by Rolls

You can get motul 8100 xcess for $59 at some places which is a fully synthetic grade 4 oil, I've been telling people to use it for years but some how it got lost in this thread and everyone started group wanking over sougi and other oils which tbh I don't think are as good value.

Been using Motul 8100 X-cess the 4 years I've owned my skyline - based on the information in this thread. I'll be moving to 8100 X-Max (10w40) on my next oil change though ..

I don't imagine it'll be much different though ..

You don't think a grade 5 for $65 is good value?

Certainly isnt wanking material, although it could help with the chafing I suppose... :laugh:

Certainly isnt wanking material, although it could help with the chafing I suppose... :laugh:

Didn't realise it was that cheap, my bad.

When it was for sale you could get it cheaper than that too.

To munkeyb0y, m5000 is the semi, s6000 is the full. m5000 was round ~$30 for 5L, which would be more than fine for 3000km. What other oil would you put in an rb for that much? That's why it was/is good value. It apparently has very similar additives to what s6000 had, which was the the second most important point of using sougi, the first being grade V oil for half the price of 300v

ive been using motul 8100 xcess for years now. very pleased with it, so i havent bothered changing to another brand.

i think i'll be trying the 8100 10w40 next time.

i would have tried the s6000 had i been aware of it.

i dont feel right using a semi when there are full synthetics within a reasonable price range.

Which oil?

According to BITOG Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 is a IV/III blend, and the price reflects that.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85798

The Motul 300V is mostly group V and the price reflects it :(

anyone tried motul xcess 10-40

Lol read up man, it was 'the' oil to use until sougi came along, I would say it is now one of the best value ones, it is even in the opening post of this thread!

Which oil?

According to BITOG Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 is a IV/III blend, and the price reflects that.

http://www.bobistheo...at&Number=85798

The Motul 300V is mostly group V and the price reflects it :(

the 5w40 is a blend, the 10w40 is a pure group IV oil.

edit: it doesnt look like they make the 10w40 group iv anymore, dang.

Edited by Rolls

supercheap is selling the syn-x 3000 for $26.48 as of tmrw (easter catalog)

cheap if you want to try it, i'm using the same system to judge goodness that told me that nulon was bad - my ears and the feel of the car

Grade 3 fully synthetic oils are light years ahead of what was available when our engines were built and will provide ample protection even in a highly strung engine.

lol yes they group wanked over Sougi, but before that no one in this thread left the house for fear of missing a bat session with Motul oils.

ive been using motul 8100 xcess for years now. very pleased with it, so i havent bothered changing to another brand.

i think i'll be trying the 8100 10w40 next time.

i would have tried the s6000 had i been aware of it.

i dont feel right using a semi when there are full synthetics within a reasonable price range.

Bit of a mental barrier, but a good semi will perform just as well as a full. The main difference between synthetic and semi is the service interval length, so as long as you're on top of that you have nothing to worry about.

supercheap is selling the syn-x 3000 for $26.48 as of tmrw (easter catalog)

cheap if you want to try it, i'm using the same system to judge goodness that told me that nulon was bad - my ears and the feel of the car

UOA lynchmob are winding their nooses...