SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

G'Day guys,

I browsed thru about 8 pages of this thread and did a search, nothing really of the flavour I was after. So if you can help (or point me to the right thread if it exists) it would be appreciated.

For a 1990 R32 GTR - 110K on the clock....

1. The new Castrol Edge 0W40 - what do people think of this product? Would it be suitable for my car? I don't want to go down the path of a semi synthetic, so what do people recommend as a fully synthetic? Castrol Edge good/no good?

2. Diff oils - For the front and rear diffs of the GTR what do people recommend? I heard Redline do a good diff oil, but some people told me to steer clear of their diff oil too, so im a little confused. I know the rear is LSD and the front is not, so other than needing an LSD oil for the rear, what else do people recommend?

3. Gearbox Oil - Again, I have heard that Redline do a good oil. I was looking at the 75W90. Comparing this to the Castrol VMX80 - is it like comparing chalk and cheese? Is redline worth the $$? No problems with my gearbox at the moment.

Sorry for the long post guys, if I have missed the right answers, please just point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Dan :P

Edited by JonesyGTR

Mate i am using the castrol edge 0w-40, in the Rb25 and i noticed it ran cooler and smoother through the exceleration have been happy with it, but i was using the 10w-60 before that it was just to thick.

I just took out a small loan ($160 odd dollars for a bloody oil change) The Motul 300v chrono 10w-40 and a K&N oil filter, so i will see how that goes it better be worth it.

Shockproof redline oil amazing the gearbox is like shifting hot knife through butter definately recommend it.

ok so i finally drove my GTR today.. it was wet.. why not. i drive it prob 2 times a week.. :)

she drove absolutly perfect. smoother than the GTT and quieter too. the 0w-40 is a big improvement on oil temp looks like drop of 4 degrees. and engine revs more freely. :laugh: it sees street use only so no need for the 10w-60.. the GTT gets more of a thrashing than my gtr does. what a sad thing to admit :huh:

Well there you go i said it would run cooler and smoother. Thats the same effects i got from the edge 10w-60 going to the edge 0w-40.

Busky2k was a lot of help on that choice.

Edited by subzeroR33

I am about to do a Mobil1 10W/30 ($82 for 5L) oil change on my GTR which currently has Mobil1 5W/50. I suppose its an unwritten law to go with a thinner oil for the winter months but I'll see how it goes.

OMG, change to this oil today, drove it from the driveway to the lawn and ITS SO MUCH COOLER :D. The is like pro material, yes! I love this oil and NOTHING ELSE. f**k!. It runs so much cooler and smoother as well, its FANTASTIC. BBQ!. Recommended AAAAA ++++++. WERD!

Cya, just gunna HAVE TEH SEX with my car. LUBE!

/sarc

ooooooook i guess he likes the Mobil 1. That's good, because i've chose that as my next oil as well :laugh: although, prob heading 0w40

anywho... i'm finally narrowing everything down for my BIG service....

Engine: Mobil 1 0w40 (might try 0w30 is they have it)

Diff: Castrol Syntrax

Filters: OEM Nissan (oil/fuel/air)

Now, gearbox.

I was going to go with Redline Lightweight Shockproof but was wondering what are my other options?

Are there any other gearbox oils that are comparable to the quality of Redline Lightweight?

If none, what's the next step down? Because Redline is $$$$$

For those that reckon Redline is over-priced, what do you think does just as good a job as the Lightweight Shockproof?

Car does not at the moment see any track time.

One other thing. When i was told to do an oil "flush", would this be referring to a specific product to use to flush out the old oil and oil build-up, or is this just using more of the Mobil 1 to flush it?

cheers,

daniel

hmmm... just about to head out and get some Mobil 1 0w40... :) Is the Motul 300V really that much better?

when you say they are about the same price, are we talking about $11 a litre? because that's what i'll be paying for the Mobil 1 ($10.90)

EDIT: double post

Are you referring to Motul 300V Chrono 10w40? This is much better than Mobil 1 0w40?

How does Royal Purple engine oil stack up against the Motul 300V Chrono and Mobil 1? I can get RP at the same price as Mobil 1.

Motul 300V is quite expensive, around $85-89 for 4 litres, so you'd have to buy another 2 litre one at $45. Would do Redline for those prices

G'Day guys,

I browsed thru about 8 pages of this thread and did a search, nothing really of the flavour I was after. So if you can help (or point me to the right thread if it exists) it would be appreciated.

For a 1990 R32 GTR - 110K on the clock....

1. The new Castrol Edge 0W40 - what do people think of this product? Would it be suitable for my car? I don't want to go down the path of a semi synthetic, so what do people recommend as a fully synthetic? Castrol Edge good/no good?

2. Diff oils - For the front and rear diffs of the GTR what do people recommend? I heard Redline do a good diff oil, but some people told me to steer clear of their diff oil too, so im a little confused. I know the rear is LSD and the front is not, so other than needing an LSD oil for the rear, what else do people recommend?

3. Gearbox Oil - Again, I have heard that Redline do a good oil. I was looking at the 75W90. Comparing this to the Castrol VMX80 - is it like comparing chalk and cheese? Is redline worth the $$? No problems with my gearbox at the moment.

Sorry for the long post guys, if I have missed the right answers, please just point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Dan :D

Anyone? Just after some opinions/comments guys, I am going to hopefully buy this stuff or order it over the weekend. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan :D

SS8_Gohan, if you are getting the M1 0W40 at $11/L I'd like to know where. TMost of the time the 0W40 is around about $80/jug or about $16/L so its not really much cheaper than the 300V. The cheaper M1 5W50 is around $11/L. Yes I would consider 300V a superior oil because it has a more stout additive package and a superior base oil. This is not to say the M1 0W40 is not a good oil - its probably the best M1 grade out and would have no qualms using it in most cars. If you can source the 300V in the 5W30 viscosity range, I'd pick that over the 10W40 providing your car doesn't use much oil and is not modified off its head. In terms of RP, I would choose RP over M1 if its the racing XPR oil range. Their ordinary street oils are still quite good but haven't shown stellar results in oil analysis. IMO, I'd pick 300V over Redline as well.

JonesyGTR,

1) The Castrol 0W40 is their best EDGE product. However considering its the same price as Mobil 1, I'd be picking M1 0W40 as it has superior OEM certifications. Then again my pick would be 300V over both of these, if you wish to spend that lil bit extra.

2) Diff oils, Redline is good stuff. I use their Gear oil 75W90 in the diffs. Doesn't matter if its LSD or not. Make sure is not the "NS" variant though.

3) Redline is definitely superior over VMX80. I'd be picking Redline MT90 for the gearbox, or Castrol Syntrans if that is available.

Hope that helps, although this advice is based on my experience only.

JonesyGTR,

2) Diff oils, Redline is good stuff. I use their Gear oil 75W90 in the diffs. Doesn't matter if its LSD or not. Make sure is not the "NS" variant though.

Thanks for your help Busky2k! With the diff oils I was under the impression that the front diff was open and that the rear diff required an LSD oil? Is that wrong or am I mis-informed?

Which LSD oil would you recommend?

Cheers!

Dan :nyaanyaa:

ahh, that's right. 'khunjeng' told me that Motul 300V was better than mobil 1. coming back to me now :nyaanyaa:

This is where i'm heading jonesyGTR

Engine: Mobil 1 0w40 (unless i can get Motul 300V cheaper than what i've seen around)

Gearbox: Redline MT-90

Diff: Redline Gear Oil 75w90

EDIT: i've been told though that Redline Lightweight Shockproof (for gearbox) is a better bet for higher km car's/gearboxes. MT-90 is for the 'less kms' gearboxes. Your GTR might have done eough that the Lightweight could be a better option. How is your gearbox? slightly notchy at all?

This is where I am going:

Just ordered in (from Burson):

Redline MT90

Redline Diff oil 75W90 for the front diff.

Still looking around for my rear diff, found out that Penrite have one called Limslip 90. Its an 80W90, whiich is what Nissan recommend, so looking at that as an option, does any1 know anything about it. I want to get an LSD oil for the rear if possible.

Probably going to get the Mobil 1 or the Motul 300V for the engine.

Input is always welcome guys.

Cheers,

Dan :nyaanyaa:

hey guys, just bought some castrol edge 5w30 for my rb20 which may not be in the best shape, says it just clicked over 150,000k's. now im kinda thinking i should take it back and grab a 10w40, any ideas? also need a place in SA to find some good shit, sprint's range FTL.

JonesyGTR,

Busky2k -

I got the MT90 for the gearbox and some fully synthetic engine oil. With the diff oils, what else other than Redline is good for the diffs? I need an LSD for rear. I ordered a diff oil from Redline for the front diff, but its not LSD. I know you said it doesn't matter, but can you elaborate on this point? Will the LSD function differently/get worn quicker etc without an LSD oil?

What LSD oils do you recommend/are good other than Redline?

Thanks for your help mate!!

Dan :laugh: