SAU Community

Should I Sell My R33?

zorb_rules

Okies so recently (after I blew up the r33) I thought it might be time to upgrade the old skyline to something newer...

I've had the r33 (gtst) for a year since I've had it i've done a few minor mods FMIC, Exhaust, RIMS, Sports Seats, and Stereo....Spent approximately bout 5-6k on all this extra stuff..and i've had to rebuild it approx another 2k

Anyways I brought it for 10.5k and am looking to sell it for a similar price.

but what im really wondering is the upgrade from an r33 to and xr6 t worth it??

What do you think of the xr6 turbo's? and any known problems...

Im looking at the BA models 2003-2005.. and most with approx 100,000km on the clock are priced between 16k-22k depending on colour, auto, manual etc....

Whats your opinion guys??

XR6 turbo's make good power with minimal modifications, stock car with a flash tune makes 248rwkw - That's a generic tune

I would personally go for a series 2 as any problems with the series 1 would have been fixed up in the series 2

Over all I think they are useless though, what good is 250rwkw if the car handles like a container ship but that being said it depends what your using the car for

Probably the only thing it would be good for (performance wise) is 1/4 mile with some work to the gearbox but after all it weighs far more than your skyline, its about twice the size and its a family sedan. Its not made for track/circuit work, more comfort and cruising with a sporty edge?

Depends what you want to do with the car, I have heard they are quiet heavy on fuel also but 4.0L twin cam engine with a 700hp turbo, you wouldn't be looking for economy

Also have heard that there has been issues with the drivelines on the XR6 turbo's, broken axles and blown diffs seem like a common problem

My thoughts :laugh:

thanks the positives im looking at is I would most probably be buying secondhand from a ford dealer with warranty (my brother works for ford and that means discount) im getting to that age now mid 20's lol (im sounding old) with the skyline is kidna a lil impractical..need somethign a bit bigger with a bit less police pull lol...i read a bit about fuel and from my research dont see them to be anymore thirsty than the r33..im not really expecting to mod it too much thinkign exhaust and tune..ill put some nice rims on it and that'll be it...i would prefer manual but if I can find a nice auto with low k's why not...i havent driven the turbo model yet buy my father owns the xr6 and i think they handle pretty good..not as good as the skyline but not too bad...

I've had the r33 (gtst) for a year since I've had it i've done a few minor mods FMIC, Exhaust, RIMS, Sports Seats, and Stereo....Spent approximately bout 5-6k on all this extra stuff..

Wow

That means you have had my Exhaust for almost a year..... :)

Wayne lol..i told you i'd drop it off when you needed it lol its seitting safely in a nice locked garage no stress :) ....its just i have no cars that I can transport it in right now..both my commodores are off the road, the skyline is off the road, and my parents cars are both lil hatchbacks right now lol..it's not going anywhere I promise...

why not....? If you feel that you need a larger 4 door sedan then I think the XR6 turbo is an excellent choice..So what if handling isnt as good as the R33....improvements can be made without spending the earth

Wayne lol..i told you i'd drop it off when you needed it lol its seitting safely in a nice locked garage no stress :) ....its just i have no cars that I can transport it in right now..both my commodores are off the road, the skyline is off the road, and my parents cars are both lil hatchbacks right now lol..it's not going anywhere I promise...

here maybe you forgot the meaning

BORROW

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Borrowing)

Borrow or borrowing can mean: to receive (something) from somebody temporarily, expecting to return............. (and return that shit after use, not a year later)

I think an XR6T is a good upgrade if you want something with a bit more space / practicality. A mate of mine has one for sale atm its out side of your lisyed price range but it shows how much power you can make pretty easily.

This is a link to his car for sale on carsales.com

http://carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/F...N&Make=FORD

ohh eyah im still tossing up between the ute and sedan..but the utes have trouble getting traction..well my mate has an xr8 anyways and it is way to tail happy...

the utes are made on the wagon chassis and are just as heavy as sedans... the traction differences are less thatn you'd expect

here maybe you forgot the meaning

BORROW

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Borrowing)

Borrow or borrowing can mean: to receive (something) from somebody temporarily, expecting to return............. (and return that shit after use, not a year later)

lol when i last spoke to wayne..i told him if he needed it in a hurry i'd return it..its just sitting here all safe and sound..and at this stage..he hasnt contacted me to get it back..sabbai and few of you boys all knwo where I live so im not goin anywhere anytime soon :)

but anyways since the topic was for the xr6 lol..not the exhaust..basically everyone thinks as far as something more practical is concerned but with similar power the xr6t is a decnt upgrade...mmm might go shopping this weekend then..just gotta clear a few cars outta the driveway first...anyone want a slightly used (and missing a few parts) vp $200 lol of a shell of a pintara trx $50 lol...gotta get the skyline and vk going too..I hate cars...

XR6 turbo's make good power with minimal modifications, stock car with a flash tune makes 248rwkw - That's a generic tune

I would personally go for a series 2 as any problems with the series 1 would have been fixed up in the series 2

Agreed. If you can stretch your budget to a BA MKII or BF go this route and get the 6 speed manual.

The BA MKI did have a few known issues (diff etc) that were rectified in later models.

Over all I think they are useless though, what good is 250rwkw if the car handles like a container ship but that being said it depends what your using the car for

Probably the only thing it would be good for (performance wise) is 1/4 mile with some work to the gearbox but after all it weighs far more than your skyline, its about twice the size and its a family sedan. Its not made for track/circuit work, more comfort and cruising with a sporty edge?

With a few suspension mods they handle well. A stock R33 doesn't exactly handle like a go-kart either.

They are really not that heavy (only 150-200kg more than an R34) and certainly not that much wider/longer either, well not enough to really notice when you park it anyway.

I'd say go for it, as chances are the car will be used 98% for street use so having an extra few doors and a bit of extra weight wont be that noticable.

XR6T is one of the best value falcowhores you can get. Was looking at buying one of these babies years ago when they came out.

The engine and transmission in the XR6T were light years ahead of the crappy pushrod lumps of irons in the local V8s when it came out. It is very easy to make big power out of the engine with just bolt-ons. Air Power Systems have very comprehensive, banf-for-your buck kits eg., 390kw and 10 sec car with bolt-ons

http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/xr6turbo.htm

I believe some of their milder stage I systems are street legal...

Whack on a whiteline suspension kit, AP brakes and you're good to go.