SAU Community

R33 Upgrade To 350z

hey guys,

im selling my 33 and im looking at upgrading to a 03/04 350z. can anyone give me some advice on these cars? all the pros and cons? ive been told they go as good as mildly modded 33s, is this true? is there any turbo kits for the Zed thats not going to cost me a fortune. any help would be awesome.

cheers dan

Hi Dan,

Isn't there a factory warranty still on this car till 03/09?

If so, were you intending to still turbo it before then?

Just wondering...

Cheers,T

PS really lovely car though

Edited by Terry_GT-R34

from personal experience

if you like speed & acceleration dont do it, or you will own it for a few months and go back to a skyline like me :)

modding a Z costs a fortune compared to the power gains you can achieve on a R33. Most parts are in in america as well. check out the forum 350z-tech.com i believe it is from memory.

you will be very happy with a 350z regardless, i loved it.. only that it wasnt gtr love :)

You better ask the Z enthusiast on here all we all get a flaming.

I had a 280ZX that was really fun to drive and thats pretty much the experiance I have with Z's.

If you are in Melbourne, Air Power Systems (APS) make a Twin Turbo kit for the 350Z and its bloody fast, 11sec down the quater from memory. (Can't remember what Tuning Stage that was tho.)

As far as I know the VQ35DE has the potential to be a killer of an engine. Its got the power there just waiting to be opened up.

hey guys, cheers for your replies. i wasn't looking a sticking a turbo on it for a while, just wanted to know if there was any kits under the 7k mark to start saving. while i do love my speed and quick take offs, i like not getting pulled over every 5 mins more lol. they are a awesome looking car but its alot of money to spend only to be disapointed with the performance later. from what my workshop here has told me they still seem to perform alright.

decisions, decisions lol.

cheers dan

I've owned both

I've got an 06 built so it's got 220 odd kw (new ones have about 230kw and better torque/rev range)

First thing you notice is the body rigidity when powering along corners, the traction is awesome almost like a big heavy go kart hehe.

Mid range acceleration is definitely better than a gtst due to larger engine, put it in 3rd and plant your foot and there's v8 like torque on tap

Unless your gtst is more seriously modified (say 250kw+) you won't be disappointed with the stock performance of a Z.

Try to have a drive of one and see yourself.

although I do admit I only have the Z until I can get my hands on a v36 skyline

3.7VQ 333hp from factory, can't wait! :D

Edited by Yo-Yo

Hey mate nice thread. I'm hoping to do the same thing myself... but hopefully to an 07 model. Just be sure you know what you're getting into... like other's have stated, you could buy a gtr for that kind of money, but you won't end up with something that quick...

I've decided on a Z as I wanted a good looking, modern luxury sports coupe... something that was relatively new with 2 doors, leather seats etc. but could still give me the same if not better driving pleasure I get from my R33 gtst...

There seems to be quite a shortage of contenders with the above criteria... you either have hot hatches like the golf gti or r32 or your left with the RX-8, Monaro or the V35...

hey, my gtst is basically stock, a gtr would be nice but im wanting something newer. a 34 gtr is a bit to expenive. the z seems to be the way to go, ill have to try and test drive one this weeekend.

cheers