SAU Community

Gtr Vs Gtst Huge Difference In Performance?

I am so over this thread its not funny.

I bet all these gtst owners have never owned a gtr to tell the diference. I used to be in denial too when i owned my gtst.

Fact of the matter is the gtr has a larger motor and produces more torque, and revs harder. period. Read my above post at top of page.

Get over it!

4wd sucks, just makes up for a lack of a good chassis. :blush:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so over this thread its not funny.

I bet all these gtst owners have never owned a gtr to tell the diference. I used to be in denial too when i owned my gtst.

Fact of the matter is the gtr has a larger motor and produces more torque, and revs harder. period. Read my above post at top of page.

Get over it!

Wow, a whole 70cc more, look out!

Been in plenty of GTR's bud (not R34 GTR though), on stock turbo's they aren't that fast and i found them to be quite a bit laggy. Just like a stock turbo'd GTST isn't that fast.

Just because they can launch hard down the drags and run 11's on the stock turbo's, doesn't mean they are an 11 second car on the street from a roll on.

They are awesome cars, it's just i think people make them out to be a supercar in stock form (R32 and R33) and that's just not the case.

Edited by PM-R33

ive tested ur roll on theory buddy.

ive ran a gtst with pretty much the same power as my gtr and i can tell you that the 2 cars were pretty much identical.

gtst got the jump on the run by 1 car and by the end, it was side by side.

similiar bolton mods too :blush: And remember i didnt say the gtr was quicker on the run. I said it carrys its weight extremely well and is on par with its lighter brother.

I say no more. Unless u have tested ur theory stop justifying ur results on others cars. Im not saying gtst's are slow, i had one making great power and loved every minute of it. The gtr is just an awesom all rounder, grip and power.

p.s- all testing was done on private property. so dont ask.

thankyou :)

Edited by R33GOD

I never once said a GTST was faster from a roll on. You just proved my point. They are the same car from a roll on with the same power, differences in mods and how they make their power in the rev range alters who would win.

Edited by PM-R33

The only real benefit of the GTR is the extra weight helps you smash through armcos rather then bounce off them back onto the track during those off track axcursions. Also the 4wd is good for getting out of sand traps! :blush:

The only real benefit of the GTR is the extra weight helps you smash throlugh armcos during those off track axcursions and also the 4wd is good for getting out of sand traps! :)

You are forgetting the extra length they add to your ewang Roy. :blush:

You are forgetting the extra length they add to your ewang Roy. :blush:

Its not length thas a problem, its girth. I need more girth. I think that means i need a Ferrari as that mens extra girth and length

Its not length thas a problem, its girth. I need more girth. I think that means i need a Ferrari as that mens extra girth and length

Maybe thats why they have the prancing horse as their emblem :blush:

I spent the last 6 years and most of my wages modifying a R33 gtst. I though it would have been finished years ago until i slowly realised that i was not even close. I threw so much money at the car only to go to the drags and get beaten by GTR's. I mean not all but any lightly modified GTR will shit and i mean shit all over a tough GTST (by tough i mean around 300-350rwkw). Not just power but i also changed to GTR interior/strut braces/guages etc, only to realise that i was pretty much chasing my tail. Car is basically gone and what have i learned? BUY A GTR TO BEGIN WITH IT IS THAT MUCH BETTER OF A CAR!!!! Having said that i loved my car, was a great car thats why i had it for 6 years. Served me well, was reliable and great fun to drive.

My 2c

Once again, that's at the drags, the GTR does a great launch and doesn't spin the first two gears which costs you a second. Remember, every second you lose at your start usually makes up two seconds by the end.

I don't drive a drag car, i drive a street car. I dont launch my car at every set of lights. Hence my point.

I could run down the drags with mine and run a 12.5 (for example), same powered GTR would run a low 11 (for example). Therefore in your eyes the GTR is soooo much quicker.

Line the same car up next to me on the street, come out of a roundabout and stomp it. I gaurantee the race will be equal. This is my point.

What are we discussing here? I wasn't aware every one on here is driving around a drag car.

Ask any racer, any real racer, it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

ps. roger cordia only ran a 13.7 so a gtst > roger cordia.

Edited by TiTAN

Well here is the results from the SAUQLD Cairns motorkarna event. We had 2 R34 GTR's, 2 EVO 8's, 6 R33 GTST's (in various stages of tune from stock, to boost, to 400rwhp and with suspension work. The two R34's were stock, except the winning R34 had a exedy twin plate upgraded, and my car's nismo suspension.

The motorkarna was a 6 events.

1. Tight course slalem, 1st and 2nd gear in the gtr only.

2. Loose course slalem, 1st and 2nd still, but faster.

3. Simular to 2, but with two parking garages inside 6 cones.

4. go-woah over 100meters, approx.

5. 2 lap circuit. Its a tight course, about 1.5 lanes wide with some areas that require large balls to do quickly. Mistakes can land you in the creek, into a concrete wall or into a few 1.5 ton concrete posts. 3rd gear and about 115-120km.h on the main straight and about 100 on the back straight (before that concrete wall, posts and two 90 degree double apex corners.

6. 4 laps of circuit.

Initial guesses were that the evo's were going to kick ass being smaller and lighter than everything else there. Also Nathan's evo was quite modified making around 350awhp, with suspension and aerodynamic improvements. GTR's were expected to come second, though Christian''s R33 GTST was also expected to do well because he drives like a demon and had won the previous 2 events.

Many of the track courses were tight though, which gave the GTST's an advantage in being able to turn around faster by kicking out the back end (but those that tried over cooked it). The EVO8's turned out to have the turning circle of a boat, like an R33 GTR, and they managed to collect a few penalties from witch hat strikes.

Mike in his R34 did the big launches all day long thanks to his exedy twin plate handling that abuse easily. My R34 gtr has a stock clutch, so I drove off the line for all stages at around 3000 rpm, but didnt hold back once I was rolling.

All times are in seconds.

Brace yourselves...

GO-WOAH Best Times

Single time

1st Nathan (EVO8) 9.10

2nd Mike (R34 GTR) 9.16

3rd Ian (R34 GTR) 9.70

4th Christian (R33 GTST) 9.94

5th Steve (AE86 Sprinter) 9.94

Karna Best Times

Karna Slalem 1

1st Mike (R34 GTR) 24.90

2nd Christian (R33 GTST) 26.31

3rd Dave (R33 GTST) 26.50

4th Ian (R34 GTR) 26.85

5th Matt (XR6 Turbo) 28.57

Karna Best Times

Karna Slalem 2

1st Nathan (EVO8) 19.96

2nd Mike (R34 GTR) 20.28

3rd Nick (R33 GTST) 21.41

4th Ian (R34 GTR) 22.15

5th Christian (R33 GTST) 22.35

Karna Best Times

Karna Slalem with 2 x Garage parks

1st Mike (R34 GTR) 38.34

2nd Nick (R33 GTST) 41.36

3rd Paul (Supra) 42.25

4th Ian (R34 GTR) 42.41

5th Nathan (EVO8) 43.53

Circuit Best Times

2 Lap

1st Nathan (EVO8) 64.25

2nd Mike (R34 GTR) 65.31

3rd Stuart (EVO8) 66.69

4th Nick (R33 GTST) 67.68

5th Dave (R33 GTST) 67.88

Circuit Best Times

4 Lap

1st Nathan (EVO8) 124.22

2nd Mike (R34 GTR) 125.13

3rd Stuart (EVO8) 125.87

4th Dave (R33 GTST) 130.81

5th Nick (R33 GTST) 130.91

Event Champions (Tally of all times for all stages, including penalties)

Combined

1st Mike (R34 GTR) 419.68

2nd Ian (R34 GTR) 446.70

3rd Dave (R33 GTST) 447.06

4th Stuart (EVO8) 453.00

5th Christian (R33 GTST) 467.57

So, Mike's GTR was nearly the fastest in all stages in near stock form (except for the clutch). Only the modified evo8 could beat it in the straight line acceleration of the go-woah and the faster slalem event. The GTS-T's while being tuned for more power running 14lb or more boost proved to be less controlable with that power. Power oversteering or under-steering in many corners.

I was second outright with a stock R34 gtr that has nismo S-tune suspension. I didnt win any event outright, but because I was consistent and didnt pick up any penalties I placed well.

There was to spins at speed as well. One was a GTST that spun while braking into a hard right hand corner.

The 2nd was an evo8, dropped the left rear off the track into the dirt when coming out of the 90 degree turn off the main straight. Unsetteled the car and then the driver tried to drive through the spin. My guess is that the lack of a torque split awd system combined with an un-settled car at about 80km/h and 350hp the car spun around to the left, 270 degrees to come to a stop. Shame we didnt get this on video too, because it was very impressive.

Does anyone have some real data comparing track days where speeds above 200 are attained?

Edited by GTRNUR

Your GTR is not std! :P Beer Baron and me put a Tomei 2.8L in it and the turbz are GT-SS. Your std clutch is a Nismo Coppermix and you have an aftermarket ecu and injectors. It was all stuff laying around the Barons spare room so when he moved house it was easier to install it all in his car and then drive the car over. We never removed any of it. You got a good buy. Throw it on a dyno and i bet it makes about 675awkws, i am quite the tuner :thumbsup:

Every person will have examples. I have track results from Dutton where my car beat EVOs, GTRs, Porkas etc at events over 30seconds. And on the track was in the top 15 from over 80 cars. There was only 1 or two sane cars up ahead of me. ?!?!!?

But dont try and turn this into a serious argument. :rofl:

Well if its a 2.8 its the most piss week engine ive ever owned for what its supposed to be! No the engine in my R34 is 100% stock. My old R33 GTR with every bolt on upgrade except turbo's and with a 12lb tune was a faster accelerating car.

I forgot to mention, the second EVO8 is also 100% stock. Very impressive brakes on those cars too. Larger than the stock R34 GTR brakes.

For our motorkarna to be competetive you needed to be in control, and if you went too fast you'd lose it and take out an orange cone and pick up a 5 second penalty. Adding too much power without equally adding to handling just unbalances the car, or just seems make it too fast to be controlable around a tight course.

I guess the only way to really know is to put the stig behind the wheel and eliminate driver skill.

Very impressive stuff mate, congrats, gotta love R34 GTR's :P

Would have been interesting if there where some of the older model GTR's running in it, to see how they would have compared.

F**k, look at the time, i think we should all get to bed lol.

Edited by PM-R33