SAU Community

Gtr Vs Gtst Huge Difference In Performance?

(assuming the GTST can put the power to the ground)

Here's the issue :P

I spent the last 6 years and most of my wages modifying a R33 gtst. I though it would have been finished years ago until i slowly realised that i was not even close. I threw so much money at the car only to go to the drags and get beaten by GTR's. I mean not all but any lightly modified GTR will shit and i mean shit all over a tough GTST (by tough i mean around 300-350rwkw). Not just power but i also changed to GTR interior/strut braces/guages etc, only to realise that i was pretty much chasing my tail. Car is basically gone and what have i learned? BUY A GTR TO BEGIN WITH IT IS THAT MUCH BETTER OF A CAR!!!! Having said that i loved my car, was a great car thats why i had it for 6 years. Served me well, was reliable and great fun to drive.

My 2c

Well said

Line the same car up next to me on the street, come out of a roundabout and stomp it. I gaurantee the race will be equal. This is my point.

What are we discussing here? I wasn't aware every one on here is driving around a drag car.

I dont have a drag car, but id love to see a 350kw GTR and a 350kw GTST come out of a roundabout, stomp it, and be equal.

Infact there's a member on here who's right now building a GTST that will have very similar power to my GTR with an almost identical motor and turbo setup, even he knows it wont be equal when the two go head to head in that sort of environment yet he's running 275/45/18 semi slicks and im on normal el cheapo road tyres :thumbsup:

I agree on your last post, im going to bed!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting you say that, given the same power the lighter car should walk away. 350rwkw isnt all that hard to put down once your rolling and have half decent rubber.

Power and torque delivery will make the difference once the gtst has a seriously grippy back end.

It will be good to play out with him as the delivery should be very linear instead of a dyno/drag trailer sailor.

Looking forward to it :P

A firend of mine drove my 33 GTR on the weekend after puting in the oil cooler and he was impressed with it in near standard trim. He has an RB25 with GT3076 on it making 230rwkw on a fairly basic tune atm. Also we have had a go at 80k rolling start race and we are pretty much side by side the whole way to 5th gear. my car can't be making to much more than 200-210awkw so besides being a nicer car to drive it suprises a few ppl.

Also the way it tracks around corners is amazing. its totally different to my old car being a 33 GTST with G4's and adjustable arms left right and centre.... the stock GTR gear handles better imo

Yeah but your GTST had coilovers with spring rates in it made for the D1 guys in Japan. Hence why every time you'd put your foot down it would slide like it was on ice.

No it actually hooked up in second pretty good once they got rebuilt with softer spring rates Phil. I am not talking in terms of getting off the line as thats just common sense, going around corners damping and rebound wise over bumps everything in every way is better compared to the old setup. the only thing that i want to change is puting swaybars into it to cancel out the little bit of body roll there is.

If i drove in anger yes i could get it to spin 3rd, however i could race and it would hold down 2nd pretty well. In my opinion i wouldn't step back to a gtst as to get them up to the same power that GTR's can make standard is amazing.

My old car when it had a RB25 in it i needed full exhaust, Power FC, Z32 AFM, Fuel Pump, Intercooler with piping, splitfire coilpacks + labour to make 190rwkw

My new GTR had a set of pod filters on it and it made 185kw at all four wheels

Then ontop of that they look better with the pumped out guards and nicer aero kit than any gtst has been blessed with

Its just a better car to drive in every aspect for me

Well obviously. Who the hell would go from a GTR back to a GTST of the same model.

Your comparing power levels that are extrememly low, obviously the GTR is going to take less mods to make 200kw@wheels.

Lets compare it to say 300rwkw out of a GTR: Fuel pump, injectors, ecu, Z32's, dumps, exhaust, bigger twins or a single turbo (if going single new exhaust manifold and new dump).

Lets compare that to a GTST to make 300rwkw: Fuel pump, injectors, ecu, Z32, dump, exhaust, bigger single, front mount.

Hmmm seems pretty much the same to me.

We are splitting hairs here since people are comparing stock GTR's to modified GTST, stock GTST's to modified GTR's. Stock for stock the GTR wins hands down. When both modified they can both be made with the same mods to make the same power, the real difference is the GTR can use the power better since it has AWD therefore performs better in most situations where big power equals traction problems for a GTST.

This is the case with all imports; silvias, Rx7's, supras etc. When big power is at hand, traction becomes an issue, but who cares. People still buy these cars for the enjoyment they bring.

If we could all afford R34 GTR's we would drive them, hell when i finish uni ill probably even buy one. However when i do, im not going to start commenting how shit my old car was just to make the new one said soo much better like you are. Difference being i havnt spent close to half the money you have to end up with a stock car.

Your old GTST would have smoked your GTR from a roll on and you know it.

Edited by PM-R33

Im with DCIEVE the lighter car should have an advantage on a rolling run if they are at the same power levels.....also assuming you dont have something like a gt40 on your rb20 and only wanting to make 300rwkw, could be a litty big laggy.

And WEAPON, didnt you have an rb26 in your 33 gtst? With the coin you spent on that you could have a forged 3L bottom end with a 26 top end. All in all I think the gtr is obviously a better car. But being a cheapo uni studnet i think ill stick with my 3L gtst.

Interesting you say that, given the same power the lighter car should walk away. 350rwkw isnt all that hard to put down once your rolling and have half decent rubber.

are you being serrious have you ever been in a rwd with 350rwkw? its alot of fun and none of the fun is happining in a straight line.

Dad's monaro is 380ish kw and it really aint that bad with the right suspension and tyres. Obviously different car, but its how the car is setup and how the power is delivered. As i said earlier, if you have a turbo that comes on like a light switch than yeah no chance, but if its very progressive it aint that bad once there is a bit of speed.

Easy now Phil,

I wouldn't go for a standard 32 GTR due to the weaker oil pump drive and no crank collar.

GTST's are great value, however after being down that road i decided to just stop trying as i could have rebuilt my old car but it just wasn't worth it.

I'v always wanted one and now i have got it so i am happy and was very suprised as to how different they actually do drive

Im with DCIEVE the lighter car should have an advantage on a rolling run if they are at the same power levels.....also assuming you dont have something like a gt40 on your rb20 and only wanting to make 300rwkw, could be a litty big laggy.

And WEAPON, didnt you have an rb26 in your 33 gtst? With the coin you spent on that you could have a forged 3L bottom end with a 26 top end. All in all I think the gtr is obviously a better car. But being a cheapo uni studnet i think ill stick with my 3L gtst.

Yea i did unfortunately, it was a great decision to get a skyline to with a 26.... i just should have bought a GTR 2yrs ago instead of pro longing the agony

Over 5yrs it has soaked up a bit of money, mostly through getting jacked around by a couple of workshops but hey you live and learn...

Well obviously. Who the hell would go from a GTR back to a GTST of the same model.

Your comparing power levels that are extrememly low, obviously the GTR is going to take less mods to make 200kw@wheels.

Lets compare it to say 300rwkw out of a GTR: Fuel pump, injectors, ecu, Z32's, dumps, exhaust, bigger twins or a single turbo (if going single new exhaust manifold and new dump).

Lets compare that to a GTST to make 300rwkw: Fuel pump, injectors, ecu, Z32, dump, exhaust, bigger single, front mount.

Hmmm seems pretty much the same to me.

We are splitting hairs here since people are comparing stock GTR's to modified GTST, stock GTST's to modified GTR's. Stock for stock the GTR wins hands down. When both modified they can both be made with the same mods to make the same power, the real difference is the GTR can use the power better since it has AWD therefore performs better in most situations where big power equals traction problems for a GTST.

This is the case with all imports; silvias, Rx7's, supras etc. When big power is at hand, traction becomes an issue, but who cares. People still buy these cars for the enjoyment they bring.

If we could all afford R34 GTR's we would drive them, hell when i finish uni ill probably even buy one. However when i do, im not going to start commenting how shit my old car was just to make the new one said soo much better like you are. Difference being i havnt spent close to half the money you have to end up with a stock car.

Your old GTST would have smoked your GTR from a roll on and you know it.

I honestly don't know about that, when i find a competent tuner up here that can tune my car without going crazy and leaning it out then i'll let you know how it goes. However for what it is i enjoy this car a whole lot more, sorry to upset you with my opinion Phil.

At the moment running 10psi with a power fc, std dumps with the trust front pipes and rsr catback running on a power fc base map it feels quicker than my old car... however the ass dyno is alot different than the real thing. I did have alot of fun in my old car but i don't regret my decision one bit to buy a GTR.

As it sits now my new GTR is at the same stage as my old GTST/26 car was at.... so it should be fairly close.

Let the fun begin

All good, just having a stir. No doubt a GTR is a better platform to start with then a GTST, every one knows that. We told you to buy a GTR before you did the conversion, so you did the right choice buying a new car than pouring tens of thousands more into that GTST to try and fix it again.

Edited by PM-R33

yea it was a lost cause that car, you wouldn't think that with std power levels or atleast close to that the launch these things can do would be that spectacular but coming from a car that i had to launch like a little girl to this is just something else.. if anyone hasn't been in a GTR for a launch i highly recommend it

No doubt, they launch like crazy. I still gotta play around with my anti lag a bit, i wanna have some fun with that :P Hopefully the GT-RS doesnt go bang lol

Edited by PM-R33

yea it was a lost cause that car, you wouldn't think that with std power levels or atleast close to that the launch these things can do would be that spectacular but coming from a car that i had to launch like a little girl to this is just something else.. if anyone hasn't been in a GTR for a launch i highly recommend it

Id love to. Finding someone who'll take me is the hard part! lol

if i were in syd N1.. id come along too! i think ur building what ive got :P

ur gonna love it :cool:

PM me what you've got mate :P

if anyone hasn't been in a GTR for a launch i highly recommend it

Agreed.

Thats an experience that wont be forgotten, ever.

Do it properly though, get a quick GTR (300+kw atw), 7500rpm, first selected, step off clutch, be ready to slam second, look at passengers face its always mushed into the seat cause they're not expecting what just happened

Antilag + AWD = Extreme fun! My old GST4 was a hoot launching it with 20lb boost. Thanks to the nismo twin plate and gtr gearbox, it held together and would to 0-100 in less than 4 seconds easily (never timed it though). The most fun was pulling out into traffic... 0-60km/h in a little over a second. I'd never do that to my gtr though.... I have too much respect for it, plus it costs a lot more to fix when you start breaking things.