SAU Community

Keep my Water/Air intercooler or get a Air/Air

S14Drift!

I have a PWR Water/Air intercooler that I was using with my SR20DET before it blew....

Now that I'm swapping a RB25DET...should I keep it or sell it with the water pump, cooler, reservoir... to get a big front mount?

The Water/Air was good with Ice in the reservoir for 1/4 mile...but was a bit more warm for normal driving...

It was the 5" core X 12" (I think) so the long one with the 2.5" inlet and outlet.

Does anyone here have hear bad or good thing about it (if my goal is 500HP max(at the crank), and will run ~350-400HP daily)

Why not try it on the RB and if you aren't happy then swap it? You may end up costing yourself a bit of cash for no real gain. I know the PWR cores can flow 250-300kw worth of air. GTR cores flow about the same.

The increase in pipe length with the front mount will cause the throttle response to suffer.

It wasn't too hard to install... water pump here, water reservoir there.... and almost no piping! (this change from front mount to water/air was incredible, just cause of the piping lenght, my power band changed a lot! , no more low end torque, but much more top end! I had to dial the cam gear for less overlapping, to get back some low end torque)

I'm not sure, but it's almost sur that it's sold allready, I sold that:

water/air intercooler 16" X 4" > water pump (5year waranty)> Water reservoir aluminium> 2 X cooler 8" X 12" for 1000$ Canadian > almost 1000$ Aus

I would go a large front mounted intercooler. If you've got the money, go for a TRUST twin core...you won't need a triple core unless you're chasing 700hp+. With such a thick intercooler, you may need to use a thinner thermo fan...and a more efficient one to keep your engine bay temps down.

Would be interesting to see how the RB25 goes in the s14. Sounds good! Let me know if there are any major hassles in fitting the engine, as I might be thinking of doing this later too. Even better still, why not go the RB26 in the s14? :P How much will the engine transplant cost? Cos if you're short of $$$ it may be better off modifying the SR20 to reach 500hp...because it's just as equally capable. But then I think the s14 didn't come with the SR20 over there, is that right?

Originally posted by EVOIV

Would be interesting to see how the RB25 goes in the s14. Sounds good! Let me know if there are any major hassles in fitting the engine, as I might be thinking of doing this later too. Even better still, why not go the RB26 in the s14? ;) How much will the engine transplant cost? Cos if you're short of $$$ it may be better off modifying the SR20 to reach 500hp...because it's just as equally capable. But then I think the s14 didn't come with the SR20 over there, is that right?

No RB26..cause it's a bit too $$$ for me right now, worst case if I blow the RB25DET in 2 years, I might put a RB26 back (I will have the trany, the mount...everything ready for it!)

I had a SR20DET before(that I got from Japan...but it lasted 1 year) And all my friend swap their SR20DET once or twice a year (pushing 350 to 400HP) So I want to have something I don't swap all the time, this is why I'm puting a RB25DET in there!

I expect to spend ~ 12 000 $ Can on the swap with upgrade (almost 12 000$ Aus)