SAU Community

Cheap Helmets

Nightcrawler

Hey, I just bought a cheap Aus standard approved helmet off DealsDirect.

$35 including shipping - and best bit is they sent me the $49.95 + shipping helmet - not the one pictured! (Not that they look vastly different anyhow).

I know we currently don't have a drag strip, but if you ever plan to drag or go to Mallala, these are a very cheap option! I just bought mine as a spare - for $35 you can't go wrong!

Deals Direct helmet

They send you a random colour - mine is red so I am happy. Also comes with a fabric helmet bag!

post-669-1214970313_thumb.jpg

post-669-1214970322_thumb.jpg

post-669-1214970330_thumb.jpg

post-669-1214970339_thumb.jpg

post-669-1214970347_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez might grab one, planning to get mine out to Mallala soon! At $35 bucks, even if you dont use it, you can flog it off for 40-50 bucks :D

Edited by Damo_R34

Hey, I just bought a cheap Aus standard approved helmet off DealsDirect.

$35 including shipping - and best bit is they sent me the $49.95 + shipping helmet - not the one pictured! (Not that they look vastly different anyhow).

I know we currently don't have a drag strip, but if you ever plan to drag or go to Mallala, these are a very cheap option! I just bought mine as a spare - for $35 you can't go wrong!

Deals Direct helmet

They send you a random colour - mine is red so I am happy. Also comes with a fabric helmet bag!

yeh sure u cant go wrong

until u crash and u head gets jerked forward and the helmet splits in half

i seen this happen

where abouts is the australian standards sticker?? AS 1*** watever it is??

coz from memory they wont let you use a helmet that doesnt have the right standards.

you are better off paying $150 for a helmet that will protect you in the case of a major crash

not some cheap crap like this

not trying to ruin your thread

but i worked at a place where helmets were the one of the biggest concerns to us.

and even if someone had a shoei helmet that we all knew and the AS sticker had been peeled off, we wouldnt let them use it.

Go to bills motorcycle's and buy something decent

im glad i paid $250 for mine, it has saved me a couple times

and im sure people that ride motorbikes will say the same thing, dont invest in crap brand helmets.

It has the AS standards thing printed on the rear of the helmet.

Yeah I agree with what you say to some point - if I were riding a motorbike, then I definitely would spend big $$$ and get an awesome helmet.

If you are drag racing at AIR or doing public laps at Mallala, then you have a maybe 0.001% chance of having a moderately serious crash, and even when you did, you would probably not even hit your head anyhow, so these helmets are fine IMHO. Few who go to Lala once a year is going to invest $250+ in a decent helmet - these are the next best thing. And fyi - if a helmet cracks in half then it has done its job - the helmet is supposed to take all the force and crumple (to some extent). If a helmet stayed 100% rigid, it would just break your neck when you hit something hard. They are single accident items, no matter what the brand or cost of them.

to some extent yes you are right

but the helmet it self is not suppose the crack

the foam on the inside should crumple without the casing breaking therefore leaving a bit of cushioning

me i know i wouldnt buy one, but yeh everyone to there own

Here is a pic of the AS certification on the box (and is on the rear of the helmet). So they MUST comply with Australian regulations/standards, hence MUST be safe.

post-669-1214973322_thumb.jpg

yeh i seen that, that is the weirdest AS sticker i have seen lol

not arguing or anything i am just saying what i think

people can buy these if they want. i am just saying my idea, and that i wouldnt buy a cheap helmet (not this cheap anyway)

seriously mate.. he has proven thatt complys with standards.. he bought it coz he doesnt see track too often! im sure this would help in the case of an crash.. then im sure he would buy a new one if needed...

all he was saying was he got a cheap helmet to use on the few occasions he hits the track! byno means is he saying hes going to drive in f1 or moto gp...

i think its a good buy and i will personally look at one also :D cheers for the find andrew!

Hey Andrew, what's advertised as DOT approved overseas is not always ADR with DOTARS here in Canberra.

That sticker is not an official ADR mark.

I've got stacks of ADR helmets and they all have the same metallic sticker with the invisible "VOID" watermark (visible with a camera flash).

Having said that though, you dont have to spend $250, you can get an ADR helmet for $50 here in Adelaide (open face) which is fine for the odd lalla day with a tin can over your head. Different if you are on a bike at lalla!

post-44795-1214974956_thumb.jpg

post-44795-1214974969_thumb.jpg

I bought mine for track days etc from Honda world in their clearance area.... full face, good quality, fully approved.... roughly a hundred bux. No probs at scrutineering last track day.

Go see Andy Stevens at Hyperformance Cycles on Main North Rd, Pooraka.......he's a FINK but he's a good fella ($50).

Joe at Pro Street Cycles on Main North Rd, Enfield has the same mat black open face helmets but for $70.

Yeah I agree with what you say to some point - if I were riding a motorbike, then I definitely would spend big $$ and get an awesome helmet.

If you are drag racing at AIR or doing public laps at Mallala, then you have a maybe 0.001% chance of having a moderately serious crash, and even when you did, you would probably not even hit your head anyhow, so these helmets are fine IMHO.

Sorry, I cringe at that comment. The statement "probably would not even hit your head" is wishful thinking, sorry Andrew. As a moderator, you should know better than to lull the people here into a false sense of security when speculating that they would be at a low risk of injury if they did crash. You are at reasonable risk of crashing a high speeds on a race track, lets not kid yourself, and even if you are in a race seat with racing harness (and helmet for that matter anyway), you will still get thrown around like a rag doll.

A simple question when purchasing a "brain bucket": How much is your brain worth?

I've never spent under $700 on a helmet. Whilst those helmets may be fun and safe for 40 kph pitbike rides, I wouldn't recommend them for even track days in cars.

Hey Andrew, what's advertised as DOT approved overseas is not always ADR with DOTARS here in Canberra.

That sticker is not an official ADR mark.

I've got stacks of ADR helmets and they all have the same metallic sticker with the invisible "VOID" watermark (visible with a camera flash).

^^^ Agreed.

Its just not worth it. :D

yeh i seen that, that is the weirdest AS sticker i have seen lol

not arguing or anything i am just saying what i think

yeah I agree - it is a weird looking AS certification - and like Pete said, the stickers are normally chrome and have security measures in them. That pic I posted was of the box, but the identical thing is actually printed on the back of the helmet, under the clear coat.

It does explicitly say "AS/NZS 1698:2006 certified by Certifications Solution International Pty Ltd Sydney Australia ID 7026" - now surely AS is Australia Standards, and as it is from a Sydney firm you would assume it is legit and not some overseas specification. Surely in their AS certification they have to break many of them in testing and prove they are a good helmet and meet regulations. Gives me a lot of peace of mind.

And regarding the price - they actually retail for $100 - this cheap price is just a super online deal - these helmets were $49.95 plus shipping on DealsDirect (which is a cheap price to start with), and have just been reduced (presumably to clear stock). They are not really a $35 helmet - they are a $100 helmet that I have found for $35 - hence my reason for posting.

Fair enough, but the price still isn't right with me :P Its a simple case of buyer beware really.

I've had two serious crashes where my $900 Shoei and $780 Shark lid saved my life, I have no doubts about it.

Even my pitbike lid is a $400 item (for low speed stuff). When I motard the bike, I wear my Shark lid.

Call me the Ambassador of the Brain Bucket!

:D

Edited by RubyRS4

Sorry, I cringe at that comment. The statement "probably would not even hit your head" is wishful thinking, sorry Andrew. As a moderator, you should know better than to lull the people here into a false sense of security when speculating that they would be at a low risk of injury if they did crash. You are at reasonable risk of crashing a high speeds on a race track, lets not kid yourself, and even if you are in a race seat with racing harness (and helmet for that matter anyway), you will still get thrown around like a rag doll.

A simple question when purchasing a "brain bucket": How much is your brain worth?

I've never spent under $700 on a helmet. Whilst those helmets may be fun and safe for 40 kph pitbike rides, I wouldn't recommend them for even track days in cars.

^^^ Agreed.

Its just not worth it. :D

yeah I hear what you are saying Rueben, however let's face it - you are 1,000 - 10,000x more likely to have an accident on the street than at Lala (given the relatively massive amount of time one drives on the street, factored in that most other drivers are farking hopeless/inattentive/too old to be driving/drunk etc). Now, on the street there are 1) no helmets, 2) no fire extinguishers/firies, 3) no full length protective clothes, 4) no scrutineers checking every cars tyres/brakes/everything else are fine, 5) and most importantly of all at Lala you are likely to hit a (relatively soft) tire wall, or gravel trap to take off some speed, whereas on the street many accidents are hitting cars coming the other way - or at least moving toward you in some respect.

By your logic we should all be wearing $700+ helmets when going to the shops (which is where fyi the vast majority of accidents happen - within 10km of your home).

Of course I am talking about cars here. Riding bikes on the street is just plain dumb, and everyone who does them has a deathwish in my humble opinio - and yes I realise I am going to get completely flamed for that comment - it is by belief, and I am entitled to it. Not one bike rider I know has not had some serious accident or near death experience on a bike - and it is nearly always someone else's fault (including you Reuben - I think I remember "councils poor maintenance of roads" as the reason for you coming off your Brutale). Yes I am a cheeky s.o.b :P

Fact is, I am not going to spend $700+ on a helmet for the very occasional track day or drag day. Hopefully my air bag and 'dodgy' helmet will be enough if I need it. :)

Fair enough, but the price still isn't right with me :D Its a simple case of buyer beware really.

I've had two serious crashes where my $900 Shoei and $780 Shark lid saved my life, I have no doubts about it.

Even my pitbike lid is a $400 item (for low speed stuff). When I motard the bike, I wear my Shark lid.

Call me the Ambassador of the Brain Bucket!

:laugh:

yeah mate, as I said very early on DO NOT WEAR ONE OF THESE IF RIDING A MOTORBIKE - it is just common sense to want a savagely over-specced helmet for motorbike riding.

Not sure if you have seen it, but Jerry Seinfeld does an extremely amusing stand-up skit about the fact that humans discovered pretty early on in evolution that we do certain things in life (like riding a motorbike) that can result in us busting open our heads. So, rather than avoid these potentially 'head-busting' activities, we were smart enough as a species to invent the helmet to somewhat protect our heads, but not smart enough to completely avoid 'head-busting' activities altogether. Of course it is much funnier when/how he says it, but you get the idea. :D :D :D

yeah I agree - it is a weird looking AS certification - and like Pete said, the stickers are normally chrome and have security measures in them. That pic I posted was of the box, but the identical thing is actually printed on the back of the helmet, under the clear coat.

It does explicitly say "AS/NZS 1698:2006 certified by Certifications Solution International Pty Ltd Sydney Australia ID 7026" - now surely AS is Australia Standards, and as it is from a Sydney firm you would assume it is legit and not some overseas specification. Surely in their AS certification they have to break many of them in testing and prove they are a good helmet and meet regulations. Gives me a lot of peace of mind.

And regarding the price - they actually retail for $100 - this cheap price is just a super online deal - these helmets were $49.95 plus shipping on DealsDirect (which is a cheap price to start with), and have just been reduced (presumably to clear stock). They are not really a $35 helmet - they are a $100 helmet that I have found for $35 - hence my reason for posting.

Andy, I reckon some little China man in a small sweat shop makes those stickers on his 486DX coupled to a mono dot matrix printer using rice paper :laugh: .

Seriously bud, you'll be lucky to get that helmet through scrutineering.....in the bike world we call them novelty helmets....give it to your kid and get a $50 ADR open face.

And before anybody cuts crook at me about cheap helmets, read the Grant Report from DOTARS (boring but informative)....my helmet had to undergo the same rigorous testing (and pass) as the $1000 helmets!

Grant_Report_200703_1_.pdf