SAU Community

Cheap Helmets

Nightcrawler

well i havent got alot of time to read ruby's thread, but i am with him

no i wont put my head in a cheap helmet too. unless the expensive ones are on sale :D

and if it aint got a chrome sticker watch out, u could be buying crap.

for once chrome is actually good lol

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads like this one restore my faith in this community - that it actually IS capable of vigorous debate without the deterioation of the thread.

Yeah, good call chops, there's no point getting too heated for the sake of an opinion.....having said that, I'm guilty of almost tearing someones head off recently over the 'LCD vs Plasma" debate, only because he was being a keyboard warrior & a smartass but everything I've read in here so far is fairly constructive.

Would be a pretty boring world if we all agreed with each other 100% of the time!

With regards to that certification comany CSi - there's a reason thair sticker has that "funny" looking mark on it, apparently they are the only company that can use it:

http://www.csi-certification.com/

It seems they are a legitimate certification company, although their client list seems to consist mainly of Chinese manufacturers.

My theory on helmets (and many other things incidentally) has always been - use what's recommended by the guys that actually do the activity for a living.

Ha ha, I told you that there was a little China man responsible for these little red stickers Andy, lol :D

One of the big problems I have with certification, particularly being in an industry whereby I am continually asked to assess to a particular standard - whether it be an Australian Standard, a British Standard, or an American ASTM standard - is the suitability and currency of the standard.

One of the Australian Standards we are often asked to test to is simply out of date and hasn't kept pace with acceptable trends - sure the standard is CURRENT, but the fact that the sample passes the standard isn't necessarily an indicator of great quality.

So without really knowing the test procedures, limits for the test parameters and how the sample performed with relation to those parameters it makes it really hard to choose something nased simply on a "PASS" rating.

Two items have achieved a "PASS" although one could be many times superior to the other.

The big prolem is that the information required to make a truly informed choice is simply not available to the consumer, except in rare occasions where a manufacturer makes it available, and then it would only be if the sample far exceeded the requirements. No-one is going to tell you their product only just passed, are they?

I hear what you're saying chops. I reckon you'll find the ADR that comes from DOTARS in Canberra is one of the most stringest testing procedures in the world. I attached a PDF file with pages & pages of info earlier in this thread which I think includes various testing procedures that aren't even used overseas. So having said that, any helmet or piece of equipment with our little chrome sticker on it has been to hell & back!

I had a look at that, and I agree it's pretty stringent - the main point I was trying to make is that even two helmets that pass that same standard are not necessarily created equal, just because they pass.

I had a look at that, and I agree it's pretty stringent - the main point I was trying to make is that even two helmets that pass that same standard are not necessarily created equal, just because they pass.

yeah, no doubt