SAU Community

Precautions In Parking

Out Of Interest: Do you take special precautions about where to park your car?

Is it different whether it's day or night?

Do you think about this before you even take your car out/to visit anyone?

Do you even think about whether or not your front lip will get over a gutter?

At your destination, do you even need to park your car out of sight?

Do you avoid Carparks where your car door could get dented?

Have you ever parked in a spot, only to find that the slot is too small so you re-park it elsewhere?

Do you even avoid front-to-rear parking in case some ignorant so&so might shave your bumper?

I remember parking back in university, space was shit tight and I found one between 2 cars with less than 5cm of space alltogether.

When I got back to my car, some dude from the beauty salon on that street came out and told me his car was the one in front of my car

He said he couldn't believe I parked it in there and would like to see me drive it out without touching his or the car behind.

I tried and couldn't get out LOL, ended up brushing his bumper a bit so he got my details then drove his car a bit forward so I can get out.

And now I'd always get out and have a look to see if my car can actually fit with reasonable space, I am a more careful and mature driver now.

Though I'm still quite surprised how good my reverse parking used to be :)

lol you should be able to tell just from looking if youll have a decent amount of room to open your door buddy. especially if youve owned the car for 1 - 2+ years

and in regards to scraping front bars and parking areas.

you all learn this throguh time.

i never attempted driveways wen i got my front bar cuz i just had no idea how much room i had, the same with parking and how far to go back or forward.

but you practice and get used to it eventually, unfortunately i tried being a hero and getting up a very steep driveway once and ended up cracking my front. but i know where i draw the line now so its not all that bad.

my rule of thumb is try get as sideways as possible wen entering a driveway, if you honestly feel like your not gonna make it. hand break dat shit and have a look. its always great to have someone in the car who u can kick out and get them to direct you if your gonna make it or not.

just make sure you keep those big mac loving friends of yours out of the car when you attempt this stuff aswell, their great for taking bullets but are not your best bet when tackling bumps.

I remember parking back in university, space was shit tight and I found one between 2 cars with less than 5cm of space alltogether.

When I got back to my car, some dude from the beauty salon on that street came out and told me his car was the one in front of my car

He said he couldn't believe I parked it in there and would like to see me drive it out without touching his or the car behind.

I tried and couldn't get out LOL, ended up brushing his bumper a bit so he got my details then drove his car a bit forward so I can get out.

And now I'd always get out and have a look to see if my car can actually fit with reasonable space, I am a more careful and mature driver now.

Though I'm still quite surprised how good my reverse parking used to be :P

What the hell? Why couldn't the dickhead just have moved for you in the first place, rather than seeing if you could have gotten out first? Woulda saved you both a whole lot of hassle? :D *shrugs* :thumbsup:

What the hell? Why couldn't the dickhead just have moved for you in the first place, rather than seeing if you could have gotten out first? Woulda saved you both a whole lot of hassle? :P *shrugs* :D

This is true, but some ppl are c0ck heads, and when u cant afford to sit around waiting for them, what can u do?

I'm very concious of where i park, its like, i know i can get into the spot, but do i really wana try getting out.

I went to KFC a few weeks ago, and when i parked, i parked next to a 4WD that was basically on the line between our spaces, so i too moved almost onto the line between my space and the one on the other side of me (there was no car in the spot next to me mind you) and after eating as i get to my car and begin to reverse out, this woman is trying to pull into the spot beside me, so i stop cos i figure im gona end up hitting her rear if i reverse out anymore. She the stops and looks at me shrugging her shoulders, and i could clearly lip read (her windows were up) "your over the line" so i yell back "look at the car next to me, its on the line too, where else should i have parked?". Finally she gets her car in and i begin backing out, still yellin at her for having the audacity to accuse me of doing something wrong.

The people who work at KFC sometimes walk out the back to have a break and cigarette etc, i think they were havin a good laugh at me yelling at this stupid cow about the parking space.

Edited by RusH_

wen i take my car and im going to my gf's place, i need to take a different route to avoid a DIP which has craked my frontbar abit, luckly u cant see it that much

as for parking, i try to park next to a column, make sure i fold my mirrors in, and isnt left in a quiet dark carpark

i try park it if where i can see it if possible

Though I'm still quite surprised how good my reverse parking used to be :(

oh yeh, HE was in a beauty salon, Was he a poof?

seriously mate, i get anger inside of me, jus hearing about such a dickhead making you do that.

I would've seriously hate smart cockheads like that, i would've belted his bumper of with my foot so u hav enuf room to drive out. hows he gonna prove it was me if only he saw it, instead of kncoking it with the car, they can colour match scratches and rubbings ect, not with my foot but ?

gawd man, i would've wanted to belt that idiot :D . he is starting trouble by saying things like that to you, when he could've simply moved out of the way. ;):P

I try to avoid carparks at all cost, I've had too many door bangs-people just don't care!! If I have to use a side by side park i will take two spaces.

usually i try to park on side of the road, (front to back), people here seem to be more careful parking than opening doors, if they can't get in they go elsewhere, finding a park is not usually a problem here.

My front bar is a reasonable height but I am still cautious over bumps..as it has scraped 1 driveway before.

and Yes I have parked in a small spot just to change my mind and move to a bigger one..lol

I also try to avoid parking under trees, or behind my brother....he backed into me in the driveway!!

- not really, it's all depend where i'm gonna go/park

- yes... if it risk/chance of something i think it's not safe, i'll take other car

- yes... and never take a chance for the 2nd time

- some time, i have no choice, i have to park it. if it look very unsafe, no way!

- you never know of this one...

Have you ever parked in a spot, only to find that the slot is too small so you re-park it elsewhere?

- no, i can tell if it's too small to parked

Do you even avoid front-to-rear parking in case some ignorant so&so might shave your bumper?

- u can't, most of the off street (in the city) u have to park it like that..

PS:

- i'm not talking about my skyline

- never ever take my car to any shoping centre!! always use other car for shopping

oh yeh, HE was in a beauty salon, Was he a poof?

seriously mate, i get anger inside of me, jus hearing about such a dickhead making you do that.

I would've seriously hate smart cockheads like that, i would've belted his bumper of with my foot so u hav enuf room to drive out. hows he gonna prove it was me if only he saw it, instead of kncoking it with the car, they can colour match scratches and rubbings ect, not with my foot but ?

gawd man, i would've wanted to belt that idiot :mad: . he is starting trouble by saying things like that to you, when he could've simply moved out of the way. ;):(

nah i'm pretty laid back and wasn't in a hurry

now that I think about it yeah, he was quite stoopid 4 wanting me to get out and potentially damaging his car.

and as much as I wanted to belt his car, I'd have to park near the same area the very next day for uni.

not everyone have a very high IQ or good hindsight.

Edited by POLICE

I always park as far away from other people as possible. If I cant, I'll park next to too very new cars, or cars that are in decent condition. The owners are less likely to hit it that way. Although, I have had a Yaris in at work for a 10,000km service that had hit a pole...

I ALWAYS use multistory car parks where possible, and park 2 stories higher then anyone else

yes;

Always park near camera's and lights and always paid parking.

nup

Always reverse park to avoid scraping front bar

not really

Yep, always try and park next to a concrete pole or a wall, 50% chance of not getting a dint from person next to me :O

nup, r32 is a small car

I try to park away from everyone else

nah i'm pretty laid back and wasn't in a hurry

now that I think about it yeah, he was quite stoopid 4 wanting me to get out and potentially damaging his car.

and as much as I wanted to belt his car, I'd have to park near the same area the very next day for uni.

not everyone have a very high IQ or good hindsight.

Maybe he was teaching you a lesson?...I bet you don't find yourself in that situation anymore OR do you?

Skyline doesn't get parked anywhere except my house or if im at a mechanics.

my street is curved abit,so heaps of noobs stuff up when reverse parking.

My trick is i can feel the difference between tarmac and cemented gudder so i know when im close.

You can slightly feel the bump where the road meets the gudder. :)

I try to park near lights and cameras at night, but it's not a huge issue.

No.

Yes, angles help but not always.

Not really, I prefer it to be in full view of everyone, to avoid opportunistic theft, vandalism.

Yes. I also park next to walls and poles. I have also been known to take up two spots if it's not particularly busy to avoid people coming too close.

I am pretty comfortable with my car and skylines in general after 5 years of skyline ownership.

I prefer to have the rear sticking out a bit to give anyone parking nose to nose with me a little more room for error.