SAU Community

The Best Car Design Of The 70s?

Out of interest:

If you took 4 photos of a car from

i) the front

ii) the side

iii) obliquely from the front

iv) obliquely from the back,

What's the greatest car design you've seen of a car from the 70s (in stock form)???

(Was it the Miura; or perhaps the Alfetta GTV; or perhaps the Esprit Turbo, a particular Ferrari etc)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a failure this thread eh?

ACTUALLY THOUGH, >2 cars mentioned in the 80s section already were designed in the 70s !!!

Due credit goes to Lamborghini Countache which I saw at the SantAgata Lambo Museum 2 years ago. This place is a must see if you're in northern Italy. Much more friendly than the Ferrari Museum ' cause they actually allow you to see the factory floor.

Due credit goes to Lotus Esprit T. which is also a 70s design but with hardened corners to it. Seen Roger Moore in a white one?

Cheers, T

no offence terry GT-R34 but we're worried about fuel going up

to $2.50 a ltr so i dont think anyone's going to italy for a while. i think the closest i'll get is leichhardt

FORZA ITALIA!

I would have to agree on the Lotus Esprit Turbo there, its way understated compared to the Countache but sometimes less is more. I think the Porsche 934 Turbo should also get a mention despite its rarity.

Was it the Miura; or perhaps the Alfetta GTV..

Did you mean the Alfa Romeo (105) 1750-2000 GTV? the bertone bodied cars were gorgeous, or are you thinking of the wedge shaped Alfa Romeo gtv6? it was ok but not in the same class.

The Miura and 2000gtv are two of my all time favourites..but both of those cars are 60's design.

A 60's thread perhap?...lots of sexy steel from the 60's.

Edited by madbung

Did you mean the Alfa Romeo (105) 1750-2000 GTV? the bertone bodied cars were gorgeous, or are you thinking of the wedge shaped Alfa Romeo gtv6? it was ok but not in the same class.

The Miura and 2000gtv are two of my all time favourites..but both of those cars are 60's design.

A 60's thread perhap?...lots of sexy steel from the 60's.

Thanks for correcting me on the Miura which could be definitely conceptualised in the late 60s with the film Italian Job

The Alfetta GT is not as valuable as the 105 that you like so much. But somehow I like that 1974 shape that came out then and became the Alfetta GTV in late 70s as a 2 litre fast cornering bullet. The GTV 6 came out around '84 and won many races in Europe as well as here. It was made famous in Octopussy when 007 stole one and drove it like he...... well you know the rest.

My favourite design? The Alfa Romeo Montreal !

Oh yes...the Montreal is a honey and good buying atm.

Miura first rolled out in 66 and is still about the sexiest thing I can imagine on wheels, sadly it's way beyond my realm. Probably a $1mil + price tag by now.

Another from the 60's Renault Alpine A-110 and the A-310 from the 70's absolutely horn :D

There was a local 310 on the market a few years back....so tempting.

Meh the Lambo hasn't aged well has it? give me a De Tomaso Pantera over a Countache any day...you don't have to be a midget to fit inside, you can repair-service it in your driveway and even better still it goes around corners.

They don't call them the "panty-tearer" for nothing :D

5212008RC6.jpg

5212008RC10.jpg

5212008RC11.jpg

5212008RC12.jpg

Edited by madbung

Sorry mate but i would take the Lambo any day of the week over the De tomaso... Lamborghini Countach would have to be the sexiest car ever built.... As for local cars i think the Falcon Coupes were the best looking things available... A9X Torana not far behind

I wouldn't know, I don't move in those circles...please tell me what the gossip is.

Can't imagine any Marys monstering one of those around the track, but hey if thats what you know..

Who am I to argue :bunny:

GroupCHx1.jpg

652008G4Z25.jpg

652008G4L.jpg

652008G4Z27j.jpg

GroupCHx2.jpg

If that is a gay mans cars, grease me up and call me Nancy i'm ready to turn.

oops

Edited by madbung

does late 60's count? ie 67-69 SS camaro?

Why Not?? It was a real mean looking car with its open mouth; cool stripes across the bonnet and down the sides of the front quarter panel/

Engine? The big one had a 427cu.in. did it not. Correct me if you will