SAU Community

Shell To Phase Out Shell V-power Racing

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay well I tried to send Shell an email but their links appear broken....so I sent it to their head office in the Netherlands as well as the web support link that appears to be the only one working on the ozzie site.

Feel free to modify or send your own....

To Whom It May Concern,

I have recently been informed that you are phasing out the Shell V-Power Racing 100ron fuel due to a changing market. To be

frank, I couldn't believe what I was reading!

I use V-Power Racing because I drive a high performance car and regularly enjoy it on Australia's racetracks. Not only does

the 100ron fuel protect against pinging in adverse conditions but my car is now actually tuned for it.

Can you please explain to me what these 'changing market conditions' are that have forced you to phase out the fuel? It is my

understanding that you add ethanol to your existing product (V-Power 98ron) and if this is the case, surely isn't a shortage of

ethanol that has forced this, as Australia has surplus of it.

Secondly, with the rising cost of fuel, perhaps people aren't driving as far and leaving their car home more often than not? If

that is the case, you should be reducing the standard unleaded fuel as the people who buy that are more than likely to leave

their car at home. Frankly the people who buy V-Power Racing or V-Power fuel are either enthusiasts like myself or drive very

expensive exotica. Enthusiasts aren't going to cut down their driving as we do it for fun or as a hobby, and certainly people who

drive expensive exotica aren't going to worry themselves over a petrol price rise. Clearly there is still a vibrant market for V-

Power Racing.

Lastly, perhaps your sales figures are forcing your hand? This, as you should know, is a very one sided view. The facts are that

due to an extremely limited group of service stations that sell V-Power Racing, as well as the fact there have been various

supply problems that have left the pumps dry for periods of time, it should come as no surprise that sales figures aren't exactly

sky high. You also have to add that quite often the service stations that do stock it, sell out so quickly that potential customers

are turned away. Due to these reasons, I am happy to drive well out of my way in order to buy this fuel (might I add passing

about 5-7 service stations on the way, 2 of which are Shell) and I am not the only one. An acquaintance of mine is happy to

drive over 12km...YES 12 km's in order to buy V-Power Racing.

Many overseas countries have 100ron fuel available as the norm whereas Australia has a history of dirty, low octane fuel. This is

evidenced by the fact that car manufacturers spend millions detuning their cars for sale in Australia just to cope with the fuel

that is available. In this day and age there is no excuse for this, and instead of car manufacturers passing the cost to people

who buy their products (through higher 'compliance' costs included in price of purchase) they should charge the fuel

companies that provide a sub-standard product. Finally, a company has stepped up and Shell has produced a world class

product for sale here in Australia only to turn around and remove it from sale?!

The facts state that you have a product made from easily available raw products, a market that not only is strong and loyal but

could be larger if availability was improved as well as the fact that currently you have a 100% market share. Shell has all of this

in their hands and yet you decide to phase out the product. If these are the decisions that Shell is making I wouldn't like to be

a shareholder.

I can only hope you come to your senses and I will look forward to your reply,

Yours Sincerely,

^^^^ you raise some good points there. You would think having a 100% market share would only serve to increase the number of outlets selling V-racing...

and i agree, the increased price of fuel won't stop me from taking the 32 out for long weekend cruises/touges :D

i look forward to seeing Shell's response (if any)

The increased price of fuel hasn't stopped me in the slightest! I really do think that what they are doing is just a stupid idea. I don't know how they came to the conclusion that it was failing, but I can imagine some idiot with graphs of information showing how much money v power isn't making, totally ignoring the fact that for 2 months you couldn't buy the stuff! Not to mention that before that it was a luck of draw to get it any day of the week. I used to drive through the servo on the way to work every morning to check if they had it.

All they have to look at is the fact that 100% of what was made, was sold. Also that a shortage of the stuff was quite big news! I don't know what factor has made them phase it out, but if it's financial, there's something they aren't telling us, cause that fuel sold better then hotcakes on a cold morning...

i been a member of the drive thru n check club for ages because i have a shell at the end of my street - do the people at shell ever wonder why skylines are constantly doing drive bys on the Vpower pumps only to spot the dreaded little yellow sign on the hose.

I've had some dirty looks in the past...

Especially when the bodykit was brand new and I had nowhere to mount the front plate, I went through there 2 days in a row and drove off, then the third day stopped and when I went in to pay he said he was CERTAIN I was going to do a runner :laugh:

The plate was up on the dash inside the car, but I suppose it wasn't very noticeable :P

It's simple economics.

Even if the supply probs of VPR hadn't happened, a pump supplying E10 will sell a LOT more fuel over any given time-frame than a pump selling VPR. I'll also take a guess that there's a bigger margin on E10 as well compared to VPR.

As alway, it always comes back to the almighty $$$.........

It's simple economics.

Even if the supply probs of VPR hadn't happened, a pump supplying E10 will sell a LOT more fuel over any given time-frame than a pump selling VPR. I'll also take a guess that there's a bigger margin on E10 as well compared to VPR.

As alway, it always comes back to the almighty $$$.........

I dont think so, there is competition in the supply of 92 ron and blended ethanol, Shell have to match the price of the competition. Whereas with VPR they have a monopoly, they can get away with charging a couple of cents more, us enthusiasts will pay for it. Try it on 92 and the Wallys will just go to the next servo.

No matter which way I look at it, it is a bad decision based on the reasons they have given. Sheel are going to look stupid if there are other reasons and they are simply hiding behind the false demand numbers. Like maybe they can't make it reliably because the local refineries are not up to the quality, in which case own up Shell, don't lie about it.

Cheers

Gary

I'm really interested to see if Ant gets a reply and what it will be. He addresses the main points as to why they shouldn't be phasing it out, so I would like to see the main points, in DETAIL, as to why they ARE phasing it out...

Should also send Shell the thread link.

I went from BP Ultimate to V Power Racing and continued to do so for the last 4 months. I have a dozen service stations around me within a 3 minute drive, yet I would drive for 10 minutes to get to a Shell with VPower Racing, no matter what the price was I filled up.

Shell should strive to provide quality fuels or lift up the quality of fuels in general.

I guess BP will have an opportunity to cater for the High Performance Cars now...

Everybody send them an email telling them what we all think of this decision. Do it politely tho, nothing makes a corporation nervous like hitting their backpockets by going to competitor especially if we all tell them we will do so if they decide its gone

Ok I had a response from the head office in the Netherlands basically saying that it was a local decision made by Shell Australia and that they can't do anything about it.

Funny I would've thought that the HO could do more than that but considering the size of Shell, each area (Asia, America etc etc) is proabably run separately.

Wow thats a bit of a lame response, i would have thought that would have gone into a bit of an explanation as to why.

Well I'm still waiting on Shell Australia's response....some PR man is probably sweating it out in a basement somewhere :(

Okay well I tried to send Shell an email but their links appear broken....so I sent it to their head office in the Netherlands as well as the web support link that appears to be the only one working on the ozzie site.

Hello Ant97GTR

Thanks for your post.

Just letting you know that the email you sent to Shell has been received by Shell. Please expect a personal reply to your queriers within the coming days.

Cheers

Adam

Everybody send them an email telling them what we all think of this decision. Do it politely tho, nothing makes a corporation nervous like hitting their backpockets by going to competitor especially if we all tell them we will do so if they decide its gone

Title: STRENGTH IN NUMBERS

In fact, can we co-ordinate this effort by contacting forums from

Ferrari

Maserati

Alfa Romeo

Lamborghini

Aston Martin

Jaguar

BMW

Mercedes B

Audi

Honda

Porsche

Bentley

VW

TO DO THE SAME rather than in dribs and drabs?

Okay everyone I did receive a call from Shell Australia, and while she wasn't a tech and therefore able to provide details the following is a sum up of what she said....

Basically due to the fact that australia has a limited refining capacity they are unable to make vpower racing. This is due to the fact that the base product they use to make vp racing by adding ethanol is not an existing product. This means that in order to refine and make vpower racing they have to hold production of vpower and (I think) E10. This causes problems with the supply of not only vp racing but two other of their products and therefore they are not in the position to continue making vpower racing.

In her own words, vpower racing is a very profitable product and they are aware that they have a good market for it, however at this time they do not have the refining capacity to continue making it. This decision had been made and it is very unlikely that it will change due the factors I have mentioned.

Shell have offered to send a rep and/or tech expert to have an open discussion at a SAU Vic meeting, so I will contact the committee and set up a date.