SAU Community

What Do Girls Think Is The Best Design?

Background: Girls have an innate tendency to 'doodle' with curved lines (YIN) and guys 'doodle' with straight lines (YANG)

Example: David Jones logo started off with straight lines=Yang(much as a male would draw); & now the design has been softened. Bubble cars in the 90s were very Yin.

Theory: A balance of curved lines and straight is good Yin/Yang balance.

So my Question is: Out of 6 gloriously shaped cars...

i) R32 GT-R

ii) 300ZX

iii) R33 GT-R

iv) R34 GT-R

v) 350Z

vi) R35 GT-R

How would you ladies out there rank those six as your FAVOURITES? From 1 to 6 where 1=Best c.f. 6=Worst

You can even tell us guys why! You girls can be owners, drivers, spectators, girlfriends etc.

Take your time - no need to answer to-day!

I do like the way your mind works Terry but I always thought the yin-yang was a symbol for opposites coming together complementing each other in harmony.

ie: shadow and light, good balancing evil ect....I've never heard the beauty of it's theory related to a good balance of straight lines and curvy lines before nor commercial logos used as an example..It really is an enormous stretch to say the least.

The traditional Taijitu (yin and yang) doesn't have a straight line in it..It is equally light-dark and curved.

Yin (陰 or 阴 "shady place, north slope, south bank (river); cloudy, overcast"; Japanese: in or on; Korean: 음, Vietnamese: âm) qualities are characterized as soft, slow, substantial, water, cold, conserving, tranquil, gentle, and corresponds to the night.

Yang (陽 or 阳 "sunny place, south slope, north bank (river), sunshine"; Japanese: yō; Korean: 양, Vietnamese: dương) qualities are characterized as hot, fire, restless, hard, dry, excitement, non-substantial, rapidity, and corresponds to the day.

I don't think gender can be brought into it...It's more the essence of the person, happy or sad..Angry or serene ect

I know where you're coming from re: a balance of design ect but jeez i'd be pointing to the door if someone hit me with a pitch like that.

Are you in advertising?

Edited by madbung

so what about the poor guy I,E me that only has a r33 gts-t?

iii) OF COURSE. You're part of the R33 GTR DESIGN. DESIGN IS THE KEY

You aren't left out!

I feel sorry for the S15 etc!

Edited by Terry_GT-R34

I do like the way your mind works Terry but I always thought the yin-yang was a symbol for opposites coming together complementing each other in harmony.

ie: shadow and light, good balancing evil ect....I've never heard the beauty of it's theory related to a good balance of straight lines and curvy lines before nor commercial logos used as an example..It really is an enormous stretch to say the least.

The traditional Taijitu (yin and yang) doesn't have a straight line in it..It is equally light-dark and curved.

Yin (陰 or 阴 "shady place, north slope, south bank (river); cloudy, overcast"; Japanese: in or on; Korean: 음, Vietnamese: âm) qualities are characterized as soft, slow, substantial, water, cold, conserving, tranquil, gentle, and corresponds to the night.

Yang (陽 or 阳 "sunny place, south slope, north bank (river), sunshine"; Japanese: yō; Korean: 양, Vietnamese: dương) qualities are characterized as hot, fire, restless, hard, dry, excitement, non-substantial, rapidity, and corresponds to the day.

I don't think gender can be brought into it...It's more the essence of the person, happy or sad..Angry or serene ect

I know where you're coming from re: a balance of design ect but jeez i'd be pointing to the door if someone hit me with a pitch like that.

Are you in advertising?

Nope... Not Advertising!

Actually Yin & Yang aren't opposites. They are complementary contrasts.

Yin means unity cf Yang means exploration & separation at its 'genesis' from Lao-Tzu who started Taoism - but I sense you already know that.

Yin mean coolness cf Yang means heat

Yin means co-operation cf Yang means competition

Yin means subjective cf Yang means objective and others I can mention later...

So in the history of car design, the Mitsubishi Company was extremely Yang. Their cars were angular. Even down to the Express Van.

Whereas Mazda design incorporated feminine input and this was unprecedented in Japan.

Toyota and Nissan always had a great deal of balance between Yin & Yang in their design. Must admit though that Nissan Skylines & Pulsars in 1986 became too angular. Even the VL was a better shape... And then there were the gorgeous Supras & R32s of the early 90s. Alright - 1989

So between the sexes, when guys go shopping, they mainly go straight to the shops and then back home again. Girls browse.

Guys like playing chess whereas most girls get intimidated by it. Every piece on a chess board moves in a straight line except for 1 'type' - the knight

When we go away for a long weekend, it's the guys who get the fuel, service the car, get Poppers for the kids when we get there (so you don't use the local H20 and get sick). And that's on the first day! On the last day, we put our trust in the girls who want to rummage around the boot so that the dirty washing doesn't get mixed up with the clean. And it's the girls who think of the need to go to the servo on the way home because we used up all the milk before we went away.

At the end of the day Yin & Yang mean nothing unless we can apply it practically.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, T

Terry, I'm glad to know your interpretation...very interesting.

opposites coming together complementing each other in harmony.

ie: shadow and light, good balancing evil ect....I don't think gender can be brought into it...It's more the essence of the person, happy or sad..Angry or serene ect

A male can be Yin or Yang just as a female can also be either...darkness or light, soft or hard, good or evil. Although in our society we tend to say men are strong, women are fairer..I don't think the principles of Yin and Yang should be applied in this way.

It's more who is that person than what sex is that person.

I guess you could apply it to most things if you're willing to bend that far..I might just try applying it to a few more things instead of holding it up as a "tenet"

Good to get your thoughts...Interesting stuff.

Oh and sorry for jumping in the Girls thread.

Edited by madbung

the r34 anyday wins my vote over the r32's and r33's but if they werent around id prob go r32

but the r34 is around :D

Wouldn't be concerned about blokey 2-digit-IQ comments...

Am interested though about what your girlfriends say about your car??? :D Notwithstanding the great livery & paint job you've got set up on your R34!