SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

snowy was out on stage 1, looked like some mechanical issue since there was no obvious panel damage.

Kel and Pete made it home 8th overall, but it must have been a bad day for organisers - about half the stages skipped and a big roll on the first stage :P

Hey all,

What a start to my rally experience! 1st stage was a short non-timed warm up and all was well. 2nd stage was cancelled due to a Citroen being on it's lid which meant the massive 29km Geevston stage was to be my first timed stage. Despite all my talk of "taking it easy" etc we pretty much were cracking it from the get go. That was shown by the fact we were apparently the 2nd highest clocked speed through a speed trap early on in the stage.

Everything was going great and I felt really comfortable with the speeds and the car until around the 17km mark when I noticed the car was getting hot (water had hit 120degs) so I was forced to go up a gear and try and rely on corner speed. That was still going ok (and the temps were coming down) until the front right wheel fell off....

All 5 studs were completely sheared off - NFI why - but needless to say it brought us to a stop. Amazingly however other than the hub / rotor edge / inside of the wheel there isn't a single mark on the car. We made a couple of calls and found someone with some parts and the good news is we are back to fight another day! Fingers crossed we have a better run tomorrow.

Untill then.... :)

post-5136-1233401967_thumb.jpg

post-5136-1233401997_thumb.jpg

too tired to post properly but it was an awesome

day out - even with all the stage changes

shame some of the stages downgraded or cancelled were ones better suited to the skylines :)

Very sad to see Snowy parked at the side of what turned out to be our first competitive stage hope you guys get back out tomorrow

Will be interesting to see how tomorrows adventures on the goat tracks go :P

Andrew its probably too late now but most likely youv've just learned how much harder targa events are on the car than track. I would guess that the hub ring on your rotors does not match the ring on the wheels you are using.

the studs themselves are only to hold the wheel on the hub, not to hold the whole car to the tyre. the inside of the hub should be a snug fit on the lip of the rotor. If not you should sort out some hub locators for future.

all the best getting it sorted tomorrow.

Kel...go to sleep! You have a pet food car to catch :)

At least it wasn't a $2 part - studs are about $5 each aren't they? :)

Great to see that you can get going again tomorrow - well done guys.

Any word on what happened to Stephen Bradford?

Regards

Andrew

Hey all,

What a start to my rally experience! 1st stage was a short non-timed warm up and all was well. 2nd stage was cancelled due to a Citroen being on it's lid which meant the massive 29km Geevston stage was to be my first timed stage. Despite all my talk of "taking it easy" etc we pretty much were cracking it from the get go. That was shown by the fact we were apparently the 2nd highest clocked speed through a speed trap early on in the stage.

Everything was going great and I felt really comfortable with the speeds and the car until around the 17km mark when I noticed the car was getting hot (water had hit 120degs) so I was forced to go up a gear and try and rely on corner speed. That was still going ok (and the temps were coming down) until the front right wheel fell off....

All 5 studs were completely sheared off - NFI why - but needless to say it brought us to a stop. Amazingly however other than the hub / rotor edge / inside of the wheel there isn't a single mark on the car. We made a couple of calls and found someone with some parts and the good news is we are back to fight another day! Fingers crossed we have a better run tomorrow.

Untill then.... :P

Kel and Pete had an off 6km's into SS13 - All ok.

Bugger Kel you guys were going so well!

Thanks for the up-date mate. I was getting a bit worried about the princess.

Neil.

Umm why are those marks heading off the road?

wrestpoint_r35-3.jpg

Oh...I see.

wrestpoint_r35-1.jpg

Apparently it was only a minor fire too.

wrestpoint_r35-2.jpg

Tassies finest tow trucks to the rescue

wrestpoint_r35-tassietowtruck.jpg

Doesn't look to bad here....but I think there might be unpleasant surprises under the bodywork.

wrestpoint_r35-4.jpg

Anyway apparently they are both

ok.jpg

but I think probably sore tomorrow. I guess Kel should have invested in a HANS before going out in the r35.....

Apparently poor road surface and a little too fast....just a little off.