SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

There has been talk about this for a while but here's the first crack at it!

Radial Tyres for Modern Cars

A major issue at Quit Targa West is the damage to the roads through chicanes and corners. We are looking at various different ways to reduce the damage being done. It has been recommended to us by a number of leading competitors to run radial tyres. The other advantages with running radial tyres is the cars go slower and the driver gets a better feel of the car sliding. They also offer far more grip in wet conditions.

If we were to implement radial tyres in 2010 it would be for all Modern Challenge and Modern Competition Cars and if successful we would look at doing the same for Classic Cars in 2011 or 2012. We welcome feedback from competitors with regards to running radial tyres. Please send comments to [email protected]

Extensive discussions have led Quit Targa West Organisers to make various changes in order to secure a viable future for the event. As a result of these discussions the decision has been made to limit the Modern Categories of competition and challenge to street rated radial tyres. Further specifications and regulations to this effect will be released as soon as they come to hand.

It won't slow down the cars at the front any as the GT2's, Lambo's and R35's can't get the good R Comps anyways - so it will only slow down those genuinely relying on grip for speed. So it will just make the gap wider. The arguement for "better grip in the wet" is wrong as well. Still - from what I'd heard around the traps I'm not suprised by this at all and it will be interesting to see if everyone else starts to follow suit.

Plays right into the hands of the R35 runners, and is actually a concern I raised last year after navvin for Giant in the 35, that when a true R comp tyre is available for them, 35's will start ripping the roads to bits, and councils will be up in arms.

I wouldn't be at all suprised that looking forward (in Targa Tas etc) that the 35's at least are restricted to OE tyre fitments to avoid this. They've proven competetive enough with that spec anyway.

So what - you think they should limit S1/M1 cars to Radials only? Good luck with bringing in that rule! LOL

Plus it's the bloody EMO's that drive right on (and over) the road edges the most! Oh - and the Potato farmers....

:)

Knowing the mods it has Stu where does it fit within the targa rules? Is it running in the "Modified" section or something? Am I right thinking this one is entered in TT?

I didn't pay much attention to the mods, but it looked like it has had plenty of attention, time and money spent... I haven't seen an file for that car cross my desk yet so don't think it's entered in any of the Targa events down here, but what would I know!

Policing R tyres is the tricky bit... we considered and researched this five and then three years ago, but tyre manufacturers were very open with the fact that they can produce an R tyre that looks like most other tyres in their range and label it as whatever meet the rules... Bob Jane Allrounder DZ03 anyone?! The problem then... you only have the big budget teams running the cheater rubber.

I didn't pay much attention to the mods, but it looked like it has had plenty of attention, time and money spent... I haven't seen an file for that car cross my desk yet so don't think it's entered in any of the Targa events down here, but what would I know!

Policing R tyres is the tricky bit... we considered and researched this five and then three years ago, but tyre manufacturers were very open with the fact that they can produce an R tyre that looks like most other tyres in their range and label it as whatever meet the rules... Bob Jane Allrounder DZ03 anyone?! The problem then... you only have the big budget teams running the cheater rubber.

You were at Buller?!?! I didn't see you! I think Burgo will be entering soon..but might want to get Lake Mountain out of the way first..

When is the cut off for Targa?

Pre-event Jess yeah... the road closure car followed us down the mountain when we left Friday... hung around just long enough for Weeksie and I hang shit on each other about our sunnies! The wash up was silver Prada's beat gold Ray Bans :)

Still can't beleave we got kicked out of Uncle Pats Thursday night eh Snowy!

Targa Tasmania applications close 16 March.

Edited by t01-100

I still can't believe you spent 2hrs telling me that "everyone will start rocking up soon" LOL

:D

Well they did the year before... apparently it was all happening at washington's place, he did call and say that before we got pizza, but both mp and i completely forgot!

what are they deeming to be a 'radial tyre'? I mean A050s are a radial tyre. so are DZ03Gs, so are RE55s and they are all road legal to boot. so they need to think carefully about what they are actually trying to exclude? is it r-comps like those above they want out? restricting people to road legal radial tyres wont achieve that as they are road legal radial tyres.

• 3 weeks later...
who you running with? I see the Vandenburgs have ditched their emo for a Skelta

my posts teasing Stu about his car are coming back to haunt me :banana:

all going well you'll see me there in an MX5...

my posts teasing Stu about his car are coming back to haunt me :)

all going well you'll see me there in an MX5...

Hopefully the driver doesnt want to stop for a latte at every cafe along the way :P

I was just thinking about Wrest Point and the lack of talk about it here...

The Evo 4 is just about finished and we're on the boat 3 weeks from tonight :D

well looks like Targa 2010 is out for me now. Unless I can scrape the funds together to finish and run my gtst...and find a nav

That's a bugger Ben - worth looking out for the Tarmac Mag sponsorship if they run it again this year?

well I'm now official for Wrestpoint, in the mighty MX5

http://targawrestpoint.com.au/Competitors/...p;comp=Showroom

- yes, i REALLY need to do something about that blue steel profile pic :)

I think you'll be on the same boat as the Redback Racing guys Dan?

I unfortunately will just be flying straight in and out thanks to work commitments - shame because the boat trips always a bit of fun!

Your old man doesn't wanna run Benny? Why????? :P

came down to health reasons, i talked to him and said unless you improve your health/lifestyle, i'm not confident to get in the car with you (on either side).....which wasn't real easy to do. and he said well we'll put it off for a year, cause your car will be ready then.