SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

well done snowy,good driving! i dont care what your in, to finish is a win in itself.

welll done kel & steve , & jeff.

well done to timmy too !!

i have only done it once but hell i missed this year. good driving!

looks like i have found my chosen car for next year ! good driving! R34 ATTKD GT-R, pull all the parts out of the r32 & stick it in an r34! :D

So the ATTKD cars are homologated in some sense? Documented? Can't even find a definitive spec on their website. Surely an almost unknown, scarcely verifiable spec is a bit ridiculous for eligibility...

Hey don't go changing the rules now - I've already ordered my Hollinger 6 Speed Sequential!

This isnt Nam...there are rules Snowie.

You would be better off speaking to Mark and Russ about the CNJ R34 they are building on an orders basis. Its a std R34 with a few optional bits. May have to do something about ride height but thats the only probem you will have :D

My opinuion is Savman, that it's not so much the equipement or skill that is holding Jimmy back.

I think that the level of commitment the front runners are driving with now require pace notes much more accurate than simply "slow/medium/fast" calls. (what they use now)

One only needs to look at what Steve and Bernie can do by completing a long recce and having perfect notes. I don't car what anyone says, for them to get that Mazda up there and scaring those weapons, they were ON IT.

Good notes are everything, I speak from my own experiences, and you'll note that my 2009 was quicker than 2008, much of which I put down to far superior notes.

On another note, Close/Close were a standout for me, that car is good, and so very very close to standard too! And don't it sound the business! Part Broup B Quattro, part V10 Lambo :D

Edited by Marlin

rules don't change a thing, you can have as much power as you want but at the end of the day its about how good you can navigate and steer... and all the SAU crew did bloody well and should be proud

I just reckon EM guys should be backing each other up more, as they really are the black sheep of motorsport but offer the most excitement from a spectating point of view IMO... all the top guys were within less than a minute from each other the whole week so that means the rules were doing their job in keeping parity... no need to spoil it by being petty

i do agree all the power in the world won,t win it, just good notes ,commitment and and good navi/recce.

but rules are there and should be adhered to, it snowy's case the broken rule gave no performance advantage so maybe should have been permitted.

but in general the rules should allow someone in a fairly underpowered low cost team to really standout based on drive/co driver performance.

How does YT go so fast with minimal recce. There was acouple of times he siad this even "we didn't rece the stage this year, and almost came off".

Good notes are everything, much easier to drive when you know where your going.

Who was at the dinner to hear big johns speach, talking about coming out of the cams oppresion. that man can do some dribbeling

Edited by sav man

... it snowy's case the broken rule gave no performance advantage so maybe should have been permitted.

Exactly!

Sure, there rules and then there is common sense.

Shouldn't common sense have prevailed here given that the performance advantage is negligible if not close to zero?

How does YT go so fast with minimal recce. There was acouple of times he siad this even "we didn't rece the stage this year, and almost came off".

Good notes are everything, much easier to drive when you know where your going.

Who was at the dinner to hear big johns speach, talking about coming out of the cams oppresion. that man can do some dribbeling

He's a local I guess, and he's an awesome steerer, and he's not scared.

I can tell you if this rally was in my back yard I would be quick, in fact I would likely not need notes! How you Taswegians don't get out there and just learn the stages is beyond me, the place is so compact it's perfect for practic.... oops, I mean recce'ing every spare weekend. And it's better fun than sitting on ya bum watching V8 Supercars while trying to avoid the missus.

Edited by Marlin

I'll say it again - I'm 100% cool with the decision. I was no faster for the mod so I feel internally that I did a great job - but the decision is the right one. It was my own stupid fault and one day the shoe may be on the other foot so I wouldn't want things to be different just because it's me this time.

I had an EPIC 6 days in my car in the most INSANE conditions at times and the story I have left to tell was unimaginable 2 weeks ago.

And just wait til I get the chance to upload some in-car footage. You will see just how stupid we all are. LOL

I still can not believe we are allowed to do this shite! And I will be back again for more of it.

looks like i have found my chosen car for next year ! good driving! R34 ATTKD GT-R, pull all the parts out of the r32 & stick it in an r34! :)

I'll second WELL DONE to the Snowman!! Awesome effort regardless.......

SO, Russ, does the above mean the ol' 32 is now 2.8l ?? it was quick enough before!!

Out of interest, the Z-Tune gets pooled with the Modern boys? Correct? Is it the year model plus performance of the car? If you start running these tuner, limited build cars like ATTKD, Mines etc does that mean you get thrown in with the Modern guys instead of Early Modern?

Has anyone ever run something like a Caterham R500? Have to be mad doing it in an open top car....but ????

Did anybody excpect the R35s to be a little more competitive. Given the conditions i thought they may have had a beter result...not to say they didnt do briliantly!

Bris - its all about the year model. First Z Tune was sold 2005. Cut off for Early Modern is end of 2002. So if Autech started selling R34 GTR ATTKD specials before the end of 2002 then it seems one would technically be within the rules.

The thing with the Caterham R500 is I think they may knock back your entry due to safety concerns. It's an invitational event and I think there are some area's like that where they draw the line (Only Stu will be able to confirm that though).

Snowy, you two guys performed a wonderful job mate. As I've said over and over to you in person, just finishing this event is epic, to be competing for a position is a truly wonderful thing.

So, congratulations, again :)

(and a huge well done to Jesus, whom I still haven't met officially, but mate, pat on back :thumbsup: )

Chris was awesome. Not only did he fix the car up sweetly but did a great job for a guy thats supposed to be a driver - not a Nav. he had no idea on what Rally notes even looked like before we got to Tassie.

And one thing people might not know is that after I hit the tree RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE HE WAS SITTING, I was ready to pull out but it was him that kicked me in the ass and convinced me to get back in the car and keep on going.

Absolute champion.