SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/

Mine arrived in less than a week. I sent a request to the company and they quoted $60 for freight to Australia. I had already bought one of a dealer in the US off ebay for slightly less (only a few bucks).

Took a little to get into the routine of putting it on and belting up correctly, but easy once you got used to it. Once your strapped in, it's obvious how much it would help in a crash.

I'm out of the loop, but these are AOK for all events, FIA spec or whatever is required.....?

With the likely introduction of compulsory "Hans devices" imminent in rallying, will these be accepted?

Sorry I'm so bloody far out of the loop!

For those that aren't over at EvoOz too often:

Well, back in the land of earning a living after what I rate as the best week EVER!

Had some niggling doubts about our potential for a win after a good hard look at the Early Mod form, from which I had pencilled in 5 teams as possible victors. Adam arrived Thursday night to the sight and sound of leaking coolant, so a quick replacement of hose clamps on Friday morning put that baby to rest.

It took me until lunchtime on Saturday to get back into my rhythm and used to the speeds we do in these awesome events. I seriously thought we would be trading fastest stage times with Snowball until he developed that high speed handling issue (broken swaybar link will do that!), alas Newton stepped up the pace in the arvo and ensured our 32 sec lead overnight into Sunday. By the way, having not competed at Buller can I just say....what a freaking awesome piece of road!

On Sunday after absolutely nailing Jamieson and having the ride of my life on Big River with drift boy in the drivers seat backing it into 4s, 5s and 6s, news came through of the 2nd placed M3R crashing on big river...our lead extended to 1min 30. This little black duck decided that it was speed management time. Mind you, hitting the crest at the end of the long straight on Eildon north of 200 and taking the 10r into 10l at 190 was absolutely amazing!

Our bad stage was Mt Terrible, where we were rushed to the start a little and I came off notes near the end of the stage. Still, we managed to share fastest time with Paul and Blaise so I let the boy loose up Buller...he drove like a man posessed and we had a blast...it didnt see us better our Saturday time (8:51) but we were only 2 sec slower and had done enough to bring the old girl home in first place early mod and a credible 8th outright.

A huuuuge congrats to Paul, Nicole, Blaise and Raechel, it was a pleasure to stand on the podium with you guys (and gals), and speaking of girls...Sammy and Claire in 5th early mod and 20th outright...AMAZING effort

Bring on Wrest Point

Two of my favourite stages are here:

Paul, the extra confidence came from having a good weekend of recce and being able to do 3 passes over every stage. That extra side int. bar and the seats mounted to the cage certainly helped though...have never felt so safe in a car before :bunny:

I look forward to it Woo, I reckon you can keep us very honest or even give us someone to chase!

Now to convince Newton to buy a GT2RS and go hunting Jims... ;)

ok you tarmac warriors!

wife and I want to start doing tarmac rallies

what we need?

similar classes to say supersprints/prod sports?

licence? l2s min isnt?

If it is a Targa (Octagon) Rallys you dont need any license. They include it all in the entry fees under AASA including your personal race license and the car log book. To be honest the pre race scrutineering was almost tooo relaxed. But I guess you are a muppet if you go racing amongst the tress with an unsafe car.

As far as the car goes a recognised cage is the go plus harnesses and full race suits, boots, helmet etc. with HANS and the fire resistant underwear being an option.

Regards classes its roughly modern (2003 + ?) Early modern 1996 - 2002, showroom classes and then the classics which have a range of breakdowns from early and modern etc.

Nice one Dan..... looking forward to one day being at the same rally as you guys to have a good run against eachother :(

With Tony Warren defecting to Early Modern now in an EMO7 it will start getting rather pointy at the pointy end.

I might have to defect to Showroom and see if I can knock off a Mazda Deisel rather than trying to keep up with all you nutters.... :)

On another topic - It looks like it was a big rock that busted my car which leads me to ask the question on what others do in regards to under body protection? My poor old blue car's under body looked like a WW2 bomber it had that many bloody holes in it. And even after just 1 event the rear sub frame on the new car looks rather 2nd hand.

I run a 32 GTS Snowy....... therefore I don't let such things worry me :) I can still remember Timmy pissing himself at end of the stage when I used the power remote to extend the passenger door mirror back out :(

9TT6331.jpg

Edited by Marlin

With Tony Warren defecting to Early Modern now in an EMO7 it will start getting rather pointy at the pointy end.

I might have to defect to Showroom and see if I can knock off a Mazda Deisel rather than trying to keep up with all you nutters.... :)

On another topic - It looks like it was a big rock that busted my car which leads me to ask the question on what others do in regards to under body protection? My poor old blue car's under body looked like a WW2 bomber it had that many bloody holes in it. And even after just 1 event the rear sub frame on the new car looks rather 2nd hand.

Do you think it was a rock from that Monaro that went of? some of them were HUGE!

I run a 32 GTS Snowy....... therefore I don't let such things worry me :) I can still remember Timmy pissing himself at end of the stage when I used the power remote to extend the passenger door mirror back out :(

9TT6331.jpg

Lol! Lol! Lol! Lol! I had forgotten about that!

I might have to defect to Showroom and see if I can knock off a Mazda Deisel rather than trying to keep up with all you nutters.... :(

Brendo isn't going to end up on his roof every event, and I think Batton will end up being quite handy in the coona.

Was having a chat to Tony as they were unloading his slightly bent Evo off the tray and by his reckoning I suspect we won't see the 7 until this time next year. I agree that Brendo won't be flipside at every event and to beat him you need to be faster than us anyway...the kid is amazing!

Having the worst case of post rally blues ever!! Seems the higher you are the harder you fall :( hehe