SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

T01-100, Mr Benson, has kindly dragged me up for "00" duty in the Mazda 6 for next week's Wrest Point. Sweet gig! I'll be down midday Wednesday if anyone wants to get sloshed for Australia Day :D

Dad and I are heading down on Thursday morning and will be arriving in Tas sometime Friday. This time round we have bought the notes as we only have one day for recce so it will be interesting to see how well i go and how well we were calling different corners and cautions when we did THC late last year..

Can't wait though! We had terrible brake shudder on the second day of THC so hopefully have done enough to fix this (wasn't too confidence inspiring on Eildon trying keep speed when i could barely hold onto the wheel when i had to brake). Also have acquired a secondary HD camera to motivate me to put some of the footage together (and to also drive a little faster >_<).

Now from what i have seen on youtube (and i couldn't find many good quality videos) the roads looked a lot narrower and rougher than what THC was. For those who have done Wrest Point before would you be able to give me a quick insight as to what the roads are like down there ?

Dad and I are heading down on Thursday morning and will be arriving in Tas sometime Friday. This time round we have bought the notes as we only have one day for recce so it will be interesting to see how well i go and how well we were calling different corners and cautions when we did THC late last year..

Can't wait though! We had terrible brake shudder on the second day of THC so hopefully have done enough to fix this (wasn't too confidence inspiring on Eildon trying keep speed when i could barely hold onto the wheel when i had to brake). Also have acquired a secondary HD camera to motivate me to put some of the footage together (and to also drive a little faster pinch.gif).

Now from what i have seen on youtube (and i couldn't find many good quality videos) the roads looked a lot narrower and rougher than what THC was. For those who have done Wrest Point before would you be able to give me a quick insight as to what the roads are like down there ?

Hi Liam, best of luck to you and your dad again mate.

I live in the area that Wrest point is run, after competing in High country it is actually embarrassing how bad the roads are down here compared to Victoria.

Roadworks are currently underway on most stages at the moment to patch pothles etc but be prepared for a lot of bumps and a lot more gravel on the road than there was at THC. Lucaston,Dover and Oyster Cove are all in great condition, The Airwalk was in a very bad state but has just been patched (with what looks like a much better repair than last year and will hopefully hold out for the 4 runs over it), Cygnet is bumpy and has a few holes at the start of the stage, Longley and Woodbridge are rough but the road surface is in fairly good order and as usual Pelverata will take the cake for being the most insanely bumpy stage of the event! The surface it's self is not too bad but the bumps are shocking for nearly 3/4 of the stage.

Good luck to everyone competing and see you all in a few days :cheers:

Look - just because in the 2 previous Wrest Point events I've competed in I have snapped the wheel studs off once and snapped an upper control arm in half the other time - it doesn't necessarily mean the roads are bumps down there....

:)

LOL..... these same roads were once used in Targa Tasmania, and were some of my favourites :)

A well setup car with plenty of compliance and travel will be quick.... for obviously, if the tyre isn't on the ground, it can't be fast.

I hear the gravel boys are begging the organisers NOT to repair the roads..... (they will be repaired though but how long with the repairs last?)