SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

That's good news Snowy, keep plugging away and she'll be posting quick times before you know it. Forget Evo's, I'm sure there were a stack of Evo's that didn't post that quick a times.

To his credit, Newton can actually steer so I imagine he'd be up the pointy end in a GT-R also, it's not just the car.

In my head, it's just a shame it seems to cost so much more to go quick in GT-R when compared to early model Evo's - At least GT-R's have some class and heritage though...

Every time a GT-R owner swaps to a emo/sti God kills a kitten.

Good the see the Skylines picking up pace towards the end of the event. How much of Ayres original car is in his new one?

Edited by sav man

i spottoed the line of mazda bater cars followed by a purple rx7 and a gunmetal r32 gtr with r33 gtr wheels on a truck and trailer. does the gtr belong to someone on here?

Now don't you be hatin the zoom zooms Damo :P

Good to catch up with everyone over the weekend... looks like all competing ended up with finisher's medals not to mention some great results (what are you feeding Newton for breakfast Dan??? E85???!!!). Another bloody bridesmaid finish for me with the 4th, not that I'm actually complaining... Just good to finish after the high country effort!

Speaking of endings I do have to say it was pretty special to see Ayresie & the 400R on the EM podium after the way his Targa ended last year. I'm biased of course with it being the other car in my Targa team but I know how hard the guys worked to get the new car ready & it was magic to see it pay off for them.

only 8 weeks to go until Targa Tas...

Thanks Jack.

Initially no - they made no difference at all. But that doesn't mean they aren't going to be better than what I had - infact I am sure they will be.

But it seems that the problem was in the bump setting on the shocks. They were both fully closed off which meant the car had no bump at all.

This meant the car had no lean in on turn in and kept the back sliding around the whole time.

We have only initially changed this setting from full hard to right in the middle but I reckon with some more tweaks we can get it bang on. The back I think needs to go further softer still. Unlike the old Teins we ran these MCA's make MASSIVE differences when you play with the clickers. I'm not sure who set them all to full hard but the guys who were helping me out with the advice on what to look for (Steve Glenney and Dean Herridge) both laughed when I told them where they were set too.

lol yes mate - knobs on some suspension brands actually work. And stop pumping Woosters tyres up.. ;) Hope you turn it around.

Thanks Greg.

Looking on he footage last night from Oyster Cove 2 and Cygnet 2 you can see I was getting faster and faster as I gained confidence in the new settings and watching it against some footage I found from 2010 of Dean Evans on the same stages I was 2-3s in front of him when our fuses blew. Looking at the times he then ran in 2010 this would put me back to where I would expect the old car to be.

It's still off the Newton freak but back in par with Paris / Ayres etc which I am ok with.

So fingers crossed we can tune it a bit more in the next 7 weeks and I can have another happy run at Targa.

I put a couple of stages on youtube already if anyone wants to watch.

Woodbridge 2 (=2nd fastest EM)-

Oyster Cove 2 (good til the fuse blew again) -

I will try and upload what I have from Cygnet 2 later as well. (And Cygent 1 where there is a guest appearance from YT in the Lambo)

Well done to you all! Each of you had great results, even given a few setbacks here and there.

Nice event I reckon, good vibe, very relaxed :)

Dunc listed the classes above, but I'd also like to throw out a speccy mention to Millar/Dean in their Emo 10 for taking Showroon 4WD, seems Scott has finally got a handle on that car...... should be a good battle at the Big Game in eight weeks when Warren will have his thing sorted again (somehow his shocks were on full hard on Saturday.... was someone playing silly buggers adjusting peoples shocks?!)

Snow... notice on both your vids some issues with your speed feed. Maybe it is not just a high G thing. Good luck sorting that. Hope you can replicate it somewhere to check if sorted - cos 5 days of fuse blowing wont be fun.

We did Woodridge in reverse in 05, but not from that far out!!! Makes it a good mix now.

(somehow his shocks were on full hard on Saturday.... was someone playing silly buggers adjusting peoples shocks?!)

That's very interesting! Pretty sure we both run the same shocks too.

Looking at our respective times on the weekend it shows a very similar pattern.

Last 3 runs were:

Tahune 2 (TW - +56s, AR +60s)

Airwalk 2 (TW - +51s, AR +55s)

Longley (TW - +75s, AR +72s)

Then on Day 2 after we both adjusted shocks

(Only stage I got proper times on)

Woodbridge 1 (TW +44s, AR +46s)

Woodbridge 2 (TW +38s, AR +41s)

I really think this is quite a good learning experience for me. As this really confirms the difference that change makes. I think the comparative improvement is around 1s/km just in the shock adjustments.

Snow... notice on both your vids some issues with your speed feed. Maybe it is not just a high G thing. Good luck sorting that. Hope you can replicate it somewhere to check if sorted - cos 5 days of fuse blowing wont be fun.

We did Woodridge in reverse in 05, but not from that far out!!! Makes it a good mix now.

Speed feed is directly into the camera via GPS - not from the cars feed at all. And it seems it gets lost in the tree's a bit. For example it never worked at all in any of the runs through tahune / airwalk but comes back on-line as soon as we get into town.

I'm pretty sure it will be a short where the kill switch is in the center console. It was pretty tight in there and its probably got a rub through one of the heat shrinks is my guess. Have 5 days lined up at a mix of places in the next few weeks (PI, Haunted Hills, Sandown, Calder and Broadford) so I'm thinking there is a good mix of high speed corners and big bumps in that lot of places to make sure we have it sorted.

The event is pretty good. Cygnet is MUCH better now than in 2010 (compare my footage to say Dean Evans in 2010 for road quality). Oyster cove is an awesome bit of track and the day flowed really well. I'm personally not sure about the 2 trips up to Tahune on Day 1 (the +90min wait up there is a killer - especially the 2nd time around as you are quite tired about then and its hard to motivate yourself back up again). I'd prefer it if they had more transport and ran Grasstree Hill and Molesworth (even in reverse) like they did they first year to 2 runs up to the airwalk. But Dover and especially Longley are just heaps of fun to drive.

Well Done everyone for bringing it home....

Glad to see your sorting issues Snowman, Be good to have it sorted for TT. Should be a ding-dong battle between a heap of competitors then.

PS Spectating Sucks! I'd rather sit at home and play with matchbox cars!

Well Done everyone for bringing it home....

Glad to see your sorting issues Snowman, Be good to have it sorted for TT. Should be a ding-dong battle between a heap of competitors then.

PS Spectating Sucks! I'd rather sit at home and play with matchbox cars!

You still running with Gaven in TT?