SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

I think what he is referring to is his Porsche only receives basic mods like spring/shock change, pads, muffler deletion and tune... Where as the Super alphabet gets a $100k upgrade between rounds...

At least there's no more super-fancy sequential gearboxes for the Lambo allowed any more.

Jim needs to swap out the circuit springs for something more suitable.... have you watched his cars lately?!?!

Edited by Marlin

Yeah but I remember Captain Close telling me Jim loves his Tarmac Cars to be rock hard in set-up for some reason.

PS - what gearbox is YT / KW running now? Still seemed pretty fancy from the TWP footage (sure ain't a 6M thats for sure).

Hmmmm, I think his cars used to be more supple. Or maybe, his gear was just so much better than everyone elses that he could win in them? I dunno, but the way his cars bounce around these days, po-go-ing in the front, I'm suprised they don't see the scenery more often.

The lambos will be reterning to the conventional gearboxes either before targa, or post targa, I'm not sure. And yes, they were running the fancy S6 at Wrest Point.

At least there's no more super-fancy sequential gearboxes for the Lambo allowed any more.

Jim needs to swap out the circuit springs for something more suitable.... have you watched his cars lately?!?!

yeah I have seen jim bouncing his porsches around for years. he seems to like them pretty stiff with lots of spring. it doesn't seem to slow him down too much, he seems to run quite short travel shocks too, I mean the things are pretty low but don't have uber rebound either as it picks wheels up pretty easily from pics and footage i've seen. maybe it helps save tyres if you can get the wheels off the deck now and then? lol.

and yeah maybe jim was referring to white but jim is not exactly doing it tough for budget either... the lambo may be a weapon but i'm not sure the GT2 would be far behind on outright pace. would be interesting to see white in the GT2. don't get me wrong I love jim and think he' a fantastic steerer, I just can't stand when people try to always cry the underdog story when he's clearly not.

I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea either, I'm not under-selling what Jim has done, the man is a legend in my book!

I still can't believe I've been as lucky to be in the same event as him :)

I think YT could drive anything quick, witness his resuly in a HQ Monaro at Rally Tas a couple of weeks ago...... to jump in that at very short notice, and do that, with a nav he didn't know, well, begs belief.

Hmmmm, I think his cars used to be more supple. Or maybe, his gear was just so much better than everyone elses that he could win in them? I dunno, but the way his cars bounce around these days, po-go-ing in the front, I'm suprised they don't see the scenery more often.

The lambos will be reterning to the conventional gearboxes either before targa, or post targa, I'm not sure. And yes, they were running the fancy S6 at Wrest Point.

Captain was telling me once that his 996TT was originally set to JR spec and then Rex got hold of it and turned it to butter spec. (which Matt decided was 11ty x's better)

But yeah - it was him who told me Jim LOVES rock hard set-ups for his Targa cars.

"Beer Baron"

will be cool to see walter rohrl there but not sure how he goes these days at 65.

If he's even half as quick as he was at 55 in that breadvan 356 last time, Rex B and co will be minutes behind is my prediction. Was braining them in late classic even in that 50s scheissen boxen after a couple of days, his back and seeming lack of mechanical sympathy, the jokers in the pack.

Jum is always good for a quote!

I laughed a little bit when I read about his "pretty much standard road car" to paraphrase.

Not forgetting that he was the worlds gun touring car driver for pretty much his whole career !

yep, but I'm on the hunt for somethin else..... GTR rear end going in it now.

You just opting for the lighter hub assembly ben?

See that MCA offer a Sliver Series (mass produced product) for a selected range of vehicles now?

Nah, just figured while it's completly apart I might as well. Will make it easier to add ABS later and gives stronger shafts too (not that I had or would expect to ever break one).

Gonna miss my diff though! The one I've bought has a Nismo centre, but..... whatever is in mine now is the shizzle :)

Nah, just figured while it's completly apart I might as well. Will make it easier to add ABS later and gives stronger shafts too (not that I had or would expect to ever break one).

Gonna miss my diff though! The one I've bought has a Nismo centre, but..... whatever is in mine now is the shizzle :)

this is way off toppic but i would opt not to got for gtr rear end. why to heavy everywhere. if your running a 20 stick with it. unless its a drifter making 300kw you wont brake shafts often enough to matter.

Benson's ignoring my calls and emails..... so i think it will likely be my first targa no-show in seven years.

Thats not like Stuart :P what have you done to offend him???

If he's not answering your calls im sure i'm even further down his ignore list! I'll have no hope of borrowing a Pov camera off him now for next weekends rally :(