SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

wheels of choice for a 32/33/34 gtr in targa with bigger brakes?

I have alcon's (365mm) and heard nightmares of finding wheels that fit over the caliper

obviously would have to be 10" wide or less to be legal. no idea what to do with my weds 10.5" rims.

We ran the 365 Alcon package under 34 wheels, you can see there was some issues with foreign object clearance (always is with big brakes and rallies) but they cheared fine.

Alcon.jpg

Wheel is dependant on whether it is a 32, 33, or 34, as they obviously all had differing sizes from factory.

The supp regs clearly state for Early Modern;

Early Modern & All Classic: Wheel diameters may be varied by a maximum of plus or minus 2” and wheel width varied up to 2” from the standard dimensions. Classic vehicles may only increase sizes up to maximum of 18 x 9 inches.

So, R32= 18x10's

R33 = 19 x 10.5

R34 = 20 x 11 (full hectic)

Edited by Marlin

Wheel is dependant on whether it is a 32, 33, or 34, as they obviously all had differing sizes from factory.

The supp regs clearly state for Early Modern;

Early Modern & All Classic: Wheel diameters may be varied by a maximum of plus or minus 2” and wheel width varied up to 2” from the standard dimensions. Classic vehicles may only increase sizes up to maximum of 18 x 9 inches.

So, R32= 18x10's

R33 = 19 x 10.5

R34 = 20 x 11 (full hectic)

marlin, R33 would be 19X11. as they had 17X9 stock.

it goes:

R32 16X8

R32 Vspec (some run as this I believe?) 17X8.5

R33 17X9

R34 18X9

so just add your 2X2 to those.

Yeah you're right Baron.... I knew that after I posted it, but you got the drift ;)

It used to be 1 + 1, We had to run 17 x 8 on my GTS-t, now we have 18 x 9 which makes me happier trying to catch the Evos (in the dry at least) :)

32 vspec was 17x8 - so 19x10 max not 10.5.

The +2" wheel width is one of the worst things about the current rules....everyone has to spend more on tyres because everyone does, and the crashes are harder.

Is there really a big advantage in huge tyres on a rally? at what point does the tramlining outweigh the grip?

Edited by sav man

18x8.5, Gtst std wheels are 16x6.5

The same Nismo options that allows you to run GTR body parts allows the wheel size.

That's why we were able to run 17x8 when the rule was +1.

Blaise reckons one of his biggest advantages was being able to run bigger rubber than the rest of the EMO's (he squeezed on 255 rubber onto his cars where as the others were all on 245's).

The funny thing is for me my tyre choice was the Yoki A050's and the biggest they have been making is 265's. I have a set of 10.5's and a set of 9.5's and I personally found that the A050's in 265's sat better on the 9.5's than they did on the 10.5's (where as the RE55's and DZ03's were both better on the 10.5's in a 265 tyre).

But as soon as the 295's were out I'd have been switching to them on the 10.5's as my preference.

^^^^ My gut feel on the rubber issue, was the bigger tyres gave me more rubber to wear down so hopefully longer tyre life. Made me more confidfent of getting to the end on the one set of mediums. Turned out tyre wear was definatly not an issue for me, but it is a light car with moderate linear power as opposed to the heavier GTR's and bigger HP.

But for outright pace, I did do back to back testing between 235's (what most emos run) and 255's on the same day and there was two tenths of stuff all in it. I went about 0.4sec a lap quicker at best, but also had gone from worn 235's to new 255's so not sure if most of the gain was just that I had fresher rubber. Wasnt a massive improvement, but at the same time cant be a bad thing. Most forms of motorsport if given the opportunity, tend to run the biggest rubber they can.

Greg Garwood is looking for a good tarmac prepped R32 GTR if anyone knows of one?

Yes, I've told him about Jurgenson's and I'm sure he'll follow that up. - edit - Drew doesn't wish to sell now.

Edited by Marlin