SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

most common downfalls of the 32/33/34 gtr's at targa? (assume the car is relatively well built with bigger brakes, suspension etc etc)

keen to know what fails first.

Edited by tk80

I've had 2 DNF's @ Targa. One was a wheel falling off and the other was a snapped upper control arm. Both were most likely from old tired parts.

I've had other issues in the past with electrics and not at Targa but broken front diffs from launching the car. (So I consequently switched to a Nismo front with the extra set of spider gears for strength)

This year there were also a number of RB26 engine failures. But I think if you make sure your cooling is right, you have a nice baffled sump, and don't get too greedy with power (I run around 330kw's @ wheels) the engines should be ok.

most common downfalls of the 32/33/34 gtr's at targa? (assume the car is relatively well built with bigger brakes, suspension etc etc)

keen to know what fails first.

There's no special requirement over a hard driven track day car, just build and tune the car with the fact that it needs to keep going without fail for 5 and a half days of competition.

So, the biggest issue is the RB26, you must keep them cool, we've found they last much longer if they run cool, 78-80 degrees, and yes, keep the power to around a genuine 330AWKW. All the obvious oil control issues need to be taken care of too.

Coils are also a constant concern, fresh ones help alleviate any concerns.

Chassis wise, make sure your wheel bearings are good, brake knock off is a serios consideration on rough roads with big rotors, and springs behind the caliper pistons are required to help eliminate it. Otherwise as you know the driveltrain is strong.

A solid sump gaurd is also something I'd recommend.

Greg Garwood is looking for a good tarmac prepped R32 GTR if anyone knows of one?

Yes, I've told him about Jurgenson's and I'm sure he'll follow that up. - edit - Drew doesn't wish to sell now.

Well he is today, who knows what he'll want tomorrow.

haven't even thought about the engine rebuild and accessories yet, but would imagine so....considering the rules don't allow too many options

Edited by tk80

The Nav's are the best to answer that....but I'm willing to bet a good GPS should replace the olde fashioned tripe computers....

Yeah I ditched the the terratrip in favor of one of these. It did the trick ok but still not perfect - someone will come out with a good proper GPS based one in the future I'm sure.

pt-zumolf-lg.jpg

Going forward I think rallysafe will replace terratrips etc..... I'd hold off on purchasing one until later, just in case Octagon says we're all using Rallysafe "fully featured".

We didn't use a trip computer this year, but we're locals and know how to get to the stages, and we put landmarks in the notes incase we fall off them.

IMO, an accurate distance meter is still worthwhile, for times when you come across a car and need to report an acurate distance into the stage for that, or if you have hazards reported on stage, especially if there's multiple hazards. Yes, I know most of us write them onto the notes using the note's distance graduations as a guide when they're reported at the start line, but it's still nice to have an accurate distance to confirm.

They were meant to, some times it worked, some times it didn't. When it works properly the screen lights up like a chrismas tree to tell you there is a stopped car.

It was Rallysafe's first test, so considering that I think it was awesome.

It has many more features that can be rolled out as they're tested, can even direct you through transport stages :)